Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 13:26   #16

Boat: 1979 Islander 36
Re: Bahamas Navionics track issue

My app has three tracking settings for frequency. If yours is set for several minutes between points, and you went around the bend during that time, it could draw a straight line between two tracking points taken several minutes apart, which would go across the bend you just went around.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 18:44   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, this one, the one that says open, cause of course it’s what I already have.
I’m very pleased with it, but you have to buy the Explorer charts, $65 and they never expire, less if you let them expire I think. I was looking at something that integrates Active Capt., and this does.
Attachment 184735

FYI, Navionics integrates with ActiveCaptain now too. If you don't see it in your app be sure that your app is updated (go to Google Play or Apple store and update your app .. updating your app is free)
FreeSpearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 18:46   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It's been my experience that Navionics is not very forthcoming as far as bad mapping goes. I've corresponded with then and got nowhere. They offered to refund me but would not comme0nt on the errors I found on their charts. They told me they had newer charts but would not say whether the errors I noted had been corrected. I saw one of the "newer" charts and they were worse than the one I had. Apparently they had to remove the Explorer Chart data that they had "borrowed".
A couple cool things about Navionics:
1. if you find an error you can use Community Edits feature to update the chart. It will go to Navionics, they can incorporate it into the charts so everyone gets that information. Community service opportunity!

2. If you are not sure what information is available on a chart at a specific location you can always check it here: Navionics ChartViewer (you can see the chart data online before you even have to buy anything)
Old 04-02-2019, 19:03   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpearit View Post
FYI, Navionics integrates with ActiveCaptain now too. If you don't see it in your app be sure that your app is updated (go to Google Play or Apple store and update your app .. updating your app is free)

Garmin owns both Navionics and Active Captain.
I’m surprised that it took them this long to integrate AC into Navionics.

I still have the Garmin Blue chart app, that is no longer supported of course, but it matches Explorer charts to a T, which can’t be a coincidence.
Which is interesting because I spoke with C-map on the phone today trying to get a decent card for my B&G plotter and wanted Explorer data, they told me that they were the only licensed electronic chart supplier for Explorer charts.
Makes me wonder how the Garmin blue charts app is identical to the Explorer charts? And will they now port over that chart data to Navionics that they now own them?
I find the Navionics that I currently have pretty much useless for the Bahamas, it doesn’t even show the preferred routes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32   #20
cruiser

The Bluechart G3 will combine Navionics and Garmin charting data:

https://www.navionics.com/fin/blog/p...ata-announced/

which is available this month:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/662662
Old 05-02-2019, 12:38   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Will they roll the Garmin data to the Navionics app though?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:44   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpearit View Post

2. If you are not sure what information is available on a chart at a specific location you can always check it here: Navionics ChartViewer (you can see the chart data online before you even have to buy anything)
My complaint is that the chart is inaccurate! Seeing it online will not help in determining accuracy. That can only be determined when you are in situ! If I followed their chart in the Bahamas I would have sailed (or tried to sail) over an island or two. Luckily I can still see. Viewing charts on a screen will never help in determining their accuracy. You have to be there, look at the screen, and then look at what's ahead and around you. Navionics cannot be relied upon in the Bahamas. When I first used Navionics in the Bahamas (2004) I was appalled with the geo-referencing errors. Corresponding with them did nothing to assure me that the errors I noted and relayed to them were corrected. Do not rely on Navionics in the Bahamas.
Old 06-02-2019, 18:30   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
My complaint is that the chart is inaccurate! Seeing it online will not help in determining accuracy. That can only be determined when you are in situ! If I followed their chart in the Bahamas I would have sailed (or tried to sail) over an island or two. Luckily I can still see. Viewing charts on a screen will never help in determining their accuracy. You have to be there, look at the screen, and then look at what's ahead and around you. Navionics cannot be relied upon in the Bahamas. When I first used Navionics in the Bahamas (2004) I was appalled with the geo-referencing errors. Corresponding with them did nothing to assure me that the errors I noted and relayed to them were corrected. Do not rely on Navionics in the Bahamas.
Oh, I understand your concern now Vasco. I misunderstood. I hear there may be an effort by Navionics/Garmin this year to gather some updated charting data in the Bahamas. Hopefully that helps. There is also a feature that Navionics offers that lets you collect your own charting data as you are boating and then submit the data to help the collective boating community have the most accurate/ up-to-date depth data.
Here's some info about it: https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts...res/sonarchart
Go to the "Jump on board!Contribute sonar logs" section.

Tags
Bahamas, navionics