Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Will a Supreme fit?

I'm looking at buying a new anchor for Boracay.
The Manson Supremes look to be the best in terms of availability and cost - the recommended size looks to be 45lb or 60lb for my 30,000lb and 44'.

First question : Is the 45lb ample or am I better going for the 60lb?

Second question : Will either fit on a "standard" bow roller or might I need to make "alterations"?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Here's a picture of mine (45#) in my roller. Maybe you can get some idea if it'll fit yours.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:35   #3

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Could be worse

Could be worse - I am trying to fit 2 x 225 lb Supreme anchors onto my 66' heavy cruiser. Not so easy with the size of these beasties.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02   #4
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'm looking at buying a new anchor for Boracay.
The Manson Supremes look to be the best in terms of availability and cost - the recommended size looks to be 45lb or 60lb for my 30,000lb and 44'.

Second question : Will either fit on a "standard" bow roller or might I need to make "alterations"?
First question, we really can't answer that without knowing what you are planning to do with your boat. If this is a coastal cruising boat, never far from safe harbor, and not anchoring in serious storm conditions, the 45lb would likely be all you'll ever need.

On the other hand, if you are global trotting cruiser, especially heading to higher latitudes where storms are hard to avoid, and expect to be anchored in all weather, why even consider something on the smaller side?
Old 02-10-2008, 14:12   #5
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"New Gen" anchors are much more efficient, giving more holding for kg (lb) of anchor,

Using an "old generation" anchor, I will suggest you to go at least for the 60 lb, but with any of the "new Gen" anchors, even with one or two sizes smaller, you will have a much higher holding.

My suggestion: 45 lb
Old 02-10-2008, 18:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:

I believe there are dimensions on the Manson website. Make a cardboard mockup and see for sure.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 22:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

What's between the anchor and the boat Boracay?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 00:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Normal, offset bow roller

Normal setup, bow roller offset from the centreline, not sticking out a long way.
I'll try to get a picture next time I'm at the boat.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

I was thinking more what is your Rode?
But it is nice to know you are not abnormal
Old 03-10-2008, 10:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
I have lost faith in my current anchor, a 80lb plow copy and its time for one of the new generation. (interestingly my previous boat had a plow copy and it was fantastic) I live on anchor 95% of the time and in an ideal world would like an anchor that will hold in 60knots +, in an anchorage with poor holding ground. My boat and winch can take the weight so I want the biggest lump of steel that will fit. The Rocna 55 (120lb) looks ideal, but will it fit?
The only restriction in my case is to avoid the chisel tip from hitting the bow. The existing plow anchor is 39 cm from the tip to the inside curve of the shank (measured on a diagonal) And this anchor has never hit the bow. This is exactly the same as the 55 Rocna so I thought I would be fine but you can download an excellent printout from Rocna that enables you to make a paper copy of the anchor. I have done this, but my bow roller has I fixed part and a pivoting part and depending on how it pivots I will be OK or not.
I have just made up a cardboard copy of the anchor (I had to some skip searching as I normally try to remove every bit of cardboard).
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I guess we have the same problem ( maybe with different religions LOL). Has anyone some simple answers on how to decide if a Rocna 55 will fit.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:07   #11
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Has anyone some simple answers on how to decide if a Rocna 55 will fit.

Wy don’t you ask them to give you a drawing to show how the anchor set on the bow roller ?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:31   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Thanks Ancora
That sort of diagram would be useful. Perhaps Rocna have this sort of information ?
By the way your web site www.a**********.com does not link to any web site on my browser (firefox)
Cheers John
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:22   #13
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks Ancora
That sort of diagram would be useful. Perhaps Rocna have this sort of information ?
By the way your web site www.a**********.com does not link to any web site on my browser (firefox)
Cheers John
Hi John,

Either they have or they can make it.. quite easy, and as they usualy are very professional, I'm sure they will..

Ok for our web site.. we know, as we are not allowed to make advertisement on the forum, we removed the letters and replaced them by (*) (may I suggest you to make a search at "Ancora Latina")
Old 03-10-2008, 15:59   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All chain 3/8" short link, 2000w Arco vertical, still straight...

I've put in lots of 3/8" chain, dragged in by a 2000w vertical Arco windlass, into a large bow locker.
The problem I have is that the diagram I checked from Manson showed that it fits in 2 dimensions, I need it to fit in three dimensions. Expensive and frustrating to get it wrong.
I'll get a photo today, if it stops raining/blowing a gale.
Old 03-10-2008, 19:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Noelex - go to the local place and ask to borrow one for a few hours. We often suggest that to our punters as most as somewhat gobsmacked at the difference. Also it's not uncommon to see they didn't realise how wide they are, the rollbar causing issues and so on.

Be aware that any new gen 55kg anchors is going to be BLOODY HUGE next to an 80lb plow. That is not a big step up, it's MASSIVE.

If you don't mind an attack of 'interesting' marketing and constant bitching about how every other anchor ever made is a complete disaster, a dodgy knock-off, chinese made shitter and how you should really use a 200kg one on 1/2" rope only*, email Rocna I'm sure they will be very willing to help, they usually are very good like that.

* - a smidgen of artistic licence there but they do have a habit of going over the top at times.

Boracey - same to you, email Manson. They are a class and very professional outfit. I'd be thinking a 45lber would be fine 98% of the time especially on all 10mm chain. But if you have the room and plan extended cruising, a 60 would be better at 3am in 60kts. You are right in between the 2 really. The physical size difference between them isn't massive and 15lbs isn't that big either on a cruiser. No, I've decided now, I'd go the 60.

And while you both are at it, email the Anchor Latina crowd. I do think their anchor has real merit and well worth equal consideration. It has a couple of good things the others don't. The Mud setting, the no rollbar and the weight, each I see as being all good.

You're all a bit spoiled for choice really.