Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 12:25   #76

Re: What anchor would you recommend?

Used Fortess as my bower for years. Loved it. Went through many 180 degree wind shifts with no worries. Only reason I switched was because the Spade fits on our anchor roller better, and our bridle lines for our asymmetric doesn't get hung up. Still carry Fortress's as spare and stern anchors. Very stand up company!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:14   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go towards a Delta (Kobra, etc) style or a Bugel (Spade, etc) style. However, if you are in a specific place (bottom type), a Danforth style may be very desirable.

Mind anchors with roll bars - (Rocna, Bugel, etc.) - they do not fit all bow fittings / roll / storage systems.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:50   #78
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
Kobra 2 is Plastimo - more likely the most reputable company in the boat supplies in the world

btw - Kobra 1 is foldable - which is designed for small crafts Kobra 2 is NOT foldable

Kobra® anchor - Plough anchors - Kobra, SOC & DC - Anchors - Mooring & Tenders | Plastimo

and in the end it is not about the form of the anchor , but about the weight distribution - which is pioneered by Spade ( as far as I can tell)

The kobra 2 is foldable, or de mountable. But unlike the kobra 1 it doesn't have the folding mechanism and they use a bolt to secure it in place. Maybe the fact that they can manufacture and transport in 2 pieces helps reduce the cost. Either way, I agree with your experience after having a delta and now a kobra 2, although the delta also set well most of the time, the kobra is rock solid.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:45   #79

Boat: Beneteau 331

With regards to the Bulwagga, it was manufactured in Rochester, NY. It is no longer being produced. Occasionally they show up on eBay, mine came with the boat and the previous owner regrets giving it to me. My best guess is it was manufactured around 2000. I have seen the Practical Sailor test and the anchor is all that and more. Because of the three fluke design the reset is amazing. I have been anchored with friends boats in a 45 knots thunder storm. On a wind shift Deltas and CRQs dragged. I reset and moved about 25 feet according to my GPS not enough to set off the alarm. This was in a mud bottom so I believe the reset distance was just digging into the mud.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 23:29   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Do yourself a favor get a rocna one size up from the normal. I am always on the hook in circumstances that test anchors constantly, gunkholing East African coast. As second anchor I will buy rocna again, will kerp my bruce and danforth as tird option.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 14:32   #81

Boat: FP Orana 44

I also think the Kobra II is a very good choice. I met a lot of happy users.

In my view, its not a Delta knock-off but a development by a company that's been in the yacht supply business a long time. Compared to the Delta, the tip is heavier and pointier so it sets really quick every time and digs in nicely.

That fact that it's very affordable is another plus. Go one size up (if your windlass can handle it), still less $$$, and to me its the best buy out there.

I have a 35Kg Kobra II (Thanks Monte for the advice). Still cheaper than a 25Kg Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc. Which is best. Maybe on par, but value for money, no contest (in my view).
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 00:21   #82

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
I also think the Kobra II is a very good choice. I met a lot of happy users.

In my view, its not a Delta knock-off but a development by a company that's been in the yacht supply business a long time. Compared to the Delta, the tip is heavier and pointier so it sets really quick every time and digs in nicely.

That fact that it's very affordable is another plus. Go one size up (if your windlass can handle it), still less $$$, and to me its the best buy out there.

I have a 35Kg Kobra II (Thanks Monte for the advice). Still cheaper than a 25Kg Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc. Which is best. Maybe on par, but value for money, no contest (in my view).
I have 14kg Kobra II on 34 feet Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34 - never has a issue but you get me thinking do I need a bigger one

according to Plastimo the 14kg is for boat 14.5m which a lot bigger them my 9.98

originally I had Bruce ( original production) 16kg
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:09   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Here are the results of the Boat US soft mud anchor test. Of course this is just one aspect of anchoring. Predictably the FX & Danforth due the best due to their large fluke area but in my experience they don't always reset after a direction change, especially in grass. I thing the Mantus has the most consistent results & from the research I've done sounds like the way to go. The owners of Active Captain have switched to them & give them a good review. You can buy them straight from the manufacturer or if you get the Active Captain emails with the Defender specials it's one of the products they include sometimes. Right now we carry 2 CQRs, a high tensile Danforth & a folding fisherman's anchor but one of my CQRs has a bent stock so I'm thinking about a 35lb galvanized Mantus.
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/asse...nchor-test.pdf
Mantus Anchors | Mantus Products

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/asse...nchor-test.pdf

Can't we leave tests to real on the hooking living cruisers who experience all types of bottoms.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:57   #84
Sponsoring Vendor

Agreed, however the results of extensive testing in a difficult, common bottom like soft mud, where the performance of virtually all anchors is going to fall off a cliff (and some dramatically more than others) is important for the cruiser to know in order to insure that he or she has the "right tool for the job."

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:29   #85

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

I will never use a fortress anymore - my experince is only once but with 0 points for fortress:

three years ago I was stuck on a Greek Island of Serifos/Livadi with seriouse strong wind 35-45kts and was imposibke to moor at the quay with this wind and I anchored in the bay , with my awful old CQR which was not very reliable and for safety I put for first tme my crazy expensive fortress as a second anchor for safety and after 4 attempts it failed to bite I was able to pull it back on board with bear hands! after the 4-th attempt I gave up and stayed only on CQR and anchor alaram sold the fortress to the next guy on ebay got a £10 danforth on ebay and solve the problem ....
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:47   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
I was able to pull it back on board with bear hands!

davidu996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:44   #87

Boat: 55' sloop.

Are we about to see this degenerate into a slanging match between commercially involved manufacturers or dealers?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:49   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Are we about to see this degenerate into a slanging match between commercially involved manufacturers or dealers?

I for one would rather we all just enjoy bear arm jokes.
davidu996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:12   #89
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Not a chance on my end. Please see post #65.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:41   #90
Marine Service Provider

Anchors are important but we are losing focus on what is really important. The right to Bear Arms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brown-bear-cub-waving-570x375.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	116536  
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men