Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 09:13   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Take the load off the bow

take too much weight out of the bow and you will have a boat that is most uncomfortable and POUNDS even in still water.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back in the day, I saw the buoy approach used by some French cruisers in deep and coral filled Polynesia anchorage. They had a smallish buoy (just enough to carry the rode weight and still just barely float in 20kts of breeze) about half way out along the scope. They said this both helped keep the rode from wrapping around coral heads and provided shock absorption.

I have never tried any variant of it. It might be a great idea but I am waiting for others to lead the way . My preference for now is to keep the anchoring system as simple as possible.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:03   #18

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

So if I understand correctly, you take an inflatable vinyl bouy (18" - 27") attach it to your rode (I assume using a shackle or similar) at the proper scope for the depth you are anchoring in. Then, let out an additional 20 ft of rode.

Thus as your boat lifts on a swell, you put less strain on your ground tackle.

One would assume you would only do this if anchoring conditions are less than idea, and not everytime you anchor?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:30   #19

Boat: Outremer 50S

Khagan,

that pretty much sums it up. The 20' will vary depending on the height of your bow. That length needs to be great enough so that when the rode goes taut the bouy gets pulled under. Too close to the boat and it will get lifted into the air, doing nothing and being an annoyance.

We use a large, sturdy fender, like to carry dual purpose devices when possible. And, yes, we tend to use it when we know conditions are less than ideal.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:47   #20

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Khagan,

that pretty much sums it up. The 20' will vary depending on the height of your bow. That length needs to be great enough so that when the rode goes taut the bouy gets pulled under. Too close to the boat and it will get lifted into the air, doing nothing and being an annoyance.

We use a large, sturdy fender, like to carry dual purpose devices when possible. And, yes, we tend to use it when we know conditions are less than ideal.

I wouldn't use it everytime I anchored, but if I think a wind shift, storm, etc is coming once anchored, it would be pretty simple to rig the bouy to the rode, and let enough additional rode out to take the load off the bow.

This will be very useful when anchoring off the barrier islands in the Gulf of Mexico, where it seems like the wind shifts every 10 minutes, turning a peaceful anchorage into a washing machine.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 14:53   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
One would assume you would only do this if anchoring conditions are less than idea, and not everytime you anchor?
I wouldn't use it routinely, at least not when in crowded anchorages. As someone pointed out, the buoy could be snagged by someone motoring around in the anchorage or by someone passing between the buoy and your bow. It would be pretty easy to rig up even after you have anchored by just pulling up a bit to put it on, then dropping back. Or, as is often the case, before you let out additional scope in prepping for a storm. I could see doing that in anticipation of a blow coming.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the buoy can also lift the anchor when your own boat does its circling during tidal changes---watched that fun many times... smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:48   #23

If another vessel fouled the bouy it was they were too close. I've never used or seen the bouy more than 1 or two boat lengths off the bow. The longer reach when the weather turns snotty or there is a tremendous current. In that case, anyone cutting across the bouy is not allowing a margin dictated by the conditions and will be shot at dawn.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
If another vessel fouled the bouy it was they were too close. I've never used or seen the bouy more than 1 or two boat lengths off the bow. The longer reach when the weather turns snotty or there is a tremendous current. In that case, anyone cutting across the bouy is not allowing a margin dictated by the conditions and will be shot at dawn.
I have seen plenty of boats pass my bow closer.
A collision ruins your day even if it is someone else's fault.
If the buoy is sitting just under the water the safe distance for the chain to clear the passing boats keel will be greater than just the distance from the bow to the buoy.
Even if they can see the buoy the natural assumption would be that it is a mooring which would have more vertical chain.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:12   #25

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Eons ago we were anchored on the Bahama Banks overnight when of course the wind picked up, and picked up, and pretty soon we were anchored in 20 feet of water with four-foot seas. I let out the entire length of the snubber I had on there, and we were still having a problem with tremendous jerks when we were slammed back by the seas. I can see this buoy technique being helpful in those sorts of conditions. Without putting out excessive rode you could get more spring in the anchoring system. I repeat, I wouldn't use this buoy idea for normal anchoring.