Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 07:32   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Swivel the weak link?

There are good swivels, and there are junk swivels. Don't condemn all swivels based on failure of the junk ones.
I'd like an Ultra myself, but it's more than I'd want to spend on a swivel. In my opinion, that is where the Mantus comes in, strong and reasonably priced, but will not self orient the anchor like the Ultra will.
If retrieved a little slower, it seems logical that any twist in a chain will untwist upon retrieval making a swivel unnecessary, but I don't have the experience to say this is true or not. But I do want a swivel that is at least as strong as my chain.
I like being on the bow as the anchor comes up as that way I can hear if the chain binds in the windlass, and having to push the anchor into correct position every now and again is worth a few hundred bucks to me, my opinion only of course.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Just fitted one, as my Manson Boss anchor has the horrible habit of ending up at the roller arse about face half the time, and not easy to rotate by hand.
The osculati is a hefty bit of kit.
With my anchor, there was a one in four chance of it coming up correctly, and as the plate of the bow roller are quite close together, if it came up sideways, it will not flip at the roller.
With this swivel, it sorts itself out every time.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

They are not pretty but ACCO chain swivels are very reliable. To my knowledge there are no reported failures of these and the working load ratings are equal to chain.
The numerous anchor swivel horror stories that are so popular relate primarily to cheap cast (not forged) SS products that were made in Italy under the Kong SPA label and various Chinese and Taiwanese manufactured products.
I have used these ACCO swivels for many years and trust them.
ACCO Anchor Rode Swivel | West Marine
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:32   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This has been debated on CF many times. I don't like the SS jewelry sold to yachties for this. The other standard double yoke device is really weak at the swivel pin. I looked to the commercial and large vessels for guidance. If you feel you need to have a swivel consider an "anchor forerunner". These will run over a bow roller without any possibility of kinking. They are stronger than the chain, high strength & galvanized. The swivel is a few links remote from the anchor so also can't kink in service. This one cost less than 200 bucks including all links and connectors. Notice that the link at the anchor is a 'D' link with oval pin.

Here is the search result on Google for broken anchor swivels.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...HUhcBgYQsAQIGw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FORERUNNER.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	116463   Click image for larger version

Name:	US_Navy_051015-N-1189B-064_Deck_Department_personnel_attach_a_pelican_hook_to_the_port_anchor_ch.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	116464  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6807.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	116465  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34   #20
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

The decision of weather to put on a swivel is a personal one... it can make life easier for some, when the anchor comes up upside down into the roller or it is reported to help with chain twist. The main issues are cost of a good swivel, swivel strength in tension needs to exceed that of ones chain. Chain connectors need to use the safety factor of 5 when figuring out the working load and finally it can not be set up in a way it can get side-loaded. Take a look at our swivel... we tried to remedy all the concerns to make the swivel as safe as the chain and affordable.
Mantus Anchors | Mantus Swivel - Mantus Anchors

Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:35   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Oh, yeah, that thing. Described in their words as a ""Twist" swivel connector," and as a "twist connection, anchor swiveling version."

-Chris
Old 10-01-2016, 08:38   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No, it won't. The anchor will spin without a swivel on the way up.

And since the chain cannot turn in the windlass gypsy, you DO NOT want the swivel in any different rotation than when it was lowered, not if you want it all to line up right. If there is a twist between the roller and the gypsy, lowering a few feet generally sorts that out.

Maybe that works for all-chain rodes. Our rope/chain combo rode allows the chain to reload itself onto the gypsy in whatever orientation it pleases... which may or may not be the way it was when the anchor was lowered.

The anchor comes up backwards about half the time. Dropping it back a few feet and trying again usually does nothing useful.

At least with our existing articulated swivel I can horse the anchor back into the correct direction to bring it over the roller... but it's usually a pain in the ass.

-Chris
Old 10-01-2016, 08:46   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Times that by 2 - same for us. We do lay out our entire chain from time to time also to enable it to unkink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Don't know, but two of the anchors we now own were found on on the bottom with half a swivel attached. We have never used one, and never needed one. The chain comes up the same orientation through the gypsy every time, and the anchor is always correct as long as we don't get way on too soon.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:50   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

One of the main causes of problems with swivels is that people attach the swivel directly to the anchor.
It is often recommended that a short length (12-18") of chain be inserted between the swivel and the anchor so that the swivel does not bind on the anchor shank.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:52   #25

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Mantus just put out a mega heavy duty swivel of interesting design.

Rocna is about to beta their self-orienting (to deal with the nose-forward conundrum) swivel.

If two top names in the third-generation anchors make and sell (and, ergo, recommend) swivels, it seems that it's very OK to use one.

Right now I have a massive (10mm) Anchor Lift swivel ( Anchor Connector with Swivel | Anchorlift™ Swivel| Anchor Docking Direct ), with a large shackle in the anchor to eliminate side loading, and their chain stopper, too, on my 73# Rocna. I'll be very interested to try the Rocna self-righting swivel when I get it shortly.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Two thoughts: 1) if your anchor comes up upside down (backwards), most of the time you can lower it into the water and reverse for just a few feet and it will rotate to the correct orientation. 2) Whether the shackle has the same strength or more than the chain is not the whole story. It also depends upon in what direction the load is: with chain it is almost always in tension along the length of the link. What can break a swivel is when the load is across it, causing it to snap. Putting a regular shackle between the swivel and the anchor can avoid most of this, but then you have a shackle again. Just get a really big and strong one.

Haven't used a swivel in over 25 years with lots of anchoring. Never will. Never had a problem. Wouldn't get a swivel even if it were 100 times stronger. Why spend money on something totally unnecessary?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:13   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I use a boat hook to make my anchor turn around, it's easy if you use a boat hook.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:55   #28

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have talked to 2 different cruiser's about using a swivel, the problem seems to be when the anchor gets caught in say a rock and can't rotate, this is when the swivel has a SIDE load on it, which it's not designed for and cracks or breaks, I had 2 swivel's on my anchors and removed them, went with CROSBY double shackle's, having worked in the offshore oil industry as a diver for 20 year's, I never saw swivel's used for anchoring on barges or rig's.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:12   #29

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by velella15 View Post
I recently lost an anchor when the swivel connecting the anchor to the chain snapped while reversing to dig in. It seems to me that a swivel is the weak link in an anchoring system and I am considering doing without one - ie connecting the chain directly to the anchor. I also don't like the idea of a stainless swivel in contact with mild steel chain links.
The downside would be ..
a)the anchor could twist out if the yacht turned with changes in the tidal flow (unlikely?) and
b) the anchor may arrive at the winch upside down and be difficult to stow.
Any experience with a swivel-less rig?
If any component of your ground tackle is subjected to a bending load you will experience failures.

Swivels are more easily loaded in bending which is why many dislike them. Under a bending load you can easily reach or exceed the breaking load.

You also need to focus on working loads, not breaking loads. Each time you retrieve look for deformation. A sure sign of bending.

We have a good quality german ss swivel left by the previous owner. I've never used it. I'm thinking of using it on a backup anchor using rode and chain.

Our primary anchor is a 90# Rocna with 360' of 5/16" G4 chain on a 45000# Liberty 458.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:26   #30

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Thumbs up Re: Swivel the weak link?

just say no to swivel....
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote