Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 11:55   #1

Softening dock lines

Hi,

My dock lines are less than two year old, but are getting incredibly stiff already.

They are the usual double braided nylon cover/nylon core. They do not show any sign of wear, just getting very stiff (I have lines from two different brands, they seem to be getting equally stiff).

I coil the lazy ends of the lines on the dock, which is aesthetically pleasing, but I understand is not the best to let them dry. However, they are getting stiff all over, not just the lazy ends that rest on the dock. BTW, what is the "best" way of handling the lazy ends, so they look neat and keep as dry as possible?

What do people do to keep dock lines reasonably flexible and soft? Do you drop them in a bucket with laundry softener?

Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:03   #2

Re: Softening dock lines

I wouldn't use fabric softener. That can break down the material. We have soaked our lines in hot water and woolite. Then rinse and allow them to dry completely. That works fine. At the end of the season, all of our dock lines are stiff. we wash them during the off season, and the following spring after cleaning, they're like new again.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I beat mine against the dock.
Maybe one day I’ll soak them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've studied this, including testing, for magazine articles. A short version is here:

Sail Delmarva: Washing and Conditioning Rope

The problem with fabric softener is not that it damages the rope--that does not make sense if it is fabric-safe--but rather that it farther slows drying. It also does not last too long. A better choice is a water repellent treatment, which allows the rope to dry faster AND replaces lubricants. It also lasts longer, typically 1-2 years. I like Nikwax Polar Proof. I've never used it on docklines, but I use it regularly on halyards, sheets, and ice climbing ropes (it also prevents freezing).

First, through, you must was the lime out (that is what makes it stiff), and most detergents will do a good job. Woolite, in fact, is too gentle. Very hot water helps to, as does extended soaking time (there are chelating agents in the detergent that slowly loosen and dissolve the lime).

Be cautious washing in a machine. The motion can milk the core right through the cover (this image is from personal testing, not the web).

Have fun!
Old 04-06-2018, 18:40   #5

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I launder mine on cold gentle with lots of softener every 2 years. Seems ok
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 19:11   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

Each fall I wash all lines, halyards (dyneema), dock lines etc in a washing machine at the local laundromat with regular laundry detergent and fabric softener.

Have been doing it for years with no apparent negative affects, but it does keep everything soft and pliable. Plus they smell nice!

It does take and hour or two to untangle the mess and coil them properly.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 19:24   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
Each fall I wash all lines, halyards (dyneema), dock lines etc in a washing machine at the local laundromat with regular laundry detergent and fabric softener.

Have been doing it for years with no apparent negative affects, but it does keep everything soft and pliable. Plus they smell nice!

It does take and hour or two to untangle the mess and coil them properly.
I do the same but I tie each line into a chain sinnet. This keeps them from tangling and is a whole lot easier than untangling.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:29   #8

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Accordig to several riggers i talked to a cold wash i the machine with a bit of softener does the trick, that was usually for rigging lines but.... in a way it shouldnt matter. Sure makes them softer again and the softener cant possibly harm them
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:54   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

To be specific we wash our lines just as we wash our clothes. Cold water and All Free and Clear. However we don't sort them by color or use a fabric softener. I don't have anything against fabric softener; we just don't use it on our lines or clothes.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:25   #10

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I never had positive results softening lines by washing with and without softeners. Tried several times using large washing machines at laundromats. Good luck--
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:33   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i rinse mine regularly, kinda, with dock water. they donot harden up without salt intrusion. funny how salt also cuts innards of lines so replacement is frequent. same with blowing dirt and dust.
clean lines for maintenance regularly. i simply use garden hose and dock water. easy peasy. i have watched folks make mountains of these molehills. is most entertaining. . have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For what it's worth, New England Ropes has information concerning the cleaning and maintenance of its lines on its web-site. Line commonly "stiffens" due to the accumulation of dirt and salt crystals in the fiber coupled with some UV deterioration. These materials need be cleaned out periodically (in our case annually) and the lines' "lubricants" replaced to minimize internal friction. Harsh chemicals also weaken line and should be avoided.

For cleaning, NE Ropes recommends soaking in fresh water followed by machine washing in warm (not to exceed 40º C or 104º F) water with laundry soap and an oxygen based bleaching agent--something like OxyClean--coupled with a modest amount of softener in the first of several fresh water rinses. To avoid tangles (and "milking" the core out of double braid) the line should be confined in a large mesh laundry bag of the type commonly used for ladies' lingerie. The line should be air dried. In our case, I give our lines a good spray of MacLube SailKote which somewhat restores lubricants lost to cleaning and helps repel dirt/salt accumulations.

The foregoing works for us on both dock lines and running rigging.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock