Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53   #1
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28
Simpson Lawrence Manual Windlass

1981 boat came with a non-working Simpson Lawrence manual windlass. I can't determine the model number. Are their parts for these things? Hate to throw out something if it can be fixed and I like the idea (for now) of a manual windlass. Any recommendations for a good replacement (manual)?

Thanks,
J.M.
s/v Adventurous
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:13   #2

Boat: Rival 36
Re: Simpson Lawrence Manual Windlass

Hi JM,
You might find what you want here: Homepage | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares
I have some PDF manuals, which I can send you if you send me a personal message with contact email. Good luck. Martin
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:14   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I assume you have a Seatiger 555 JMK? I know of this site which claims to sell parts for this old workhorse.

Parts for Seatiger 555 Windlass | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares

I've never actually had to purchase anything through this site, but it was recommended to me by other Seatiger owners.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I agree with Mike, it's probably the Seatiger. Very popular in its day -- hard to find parts today. But there's not much that can go wrong with them -- assume you've tried disassembling, cleaning, lubing, etc.

I have one on my boat and it works quite well with a little TLC.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:15   #5
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28

Thank you for the link. I think the windlass is the Seatiger 555, but I'll
need to confirm that when I head back down to the boat in a day or so. I
was able to download the instruction manual and diagram from the website you gave me. I'll wait on the actual service manual until I verify the model. Then I'll just have to take it off the boat and get it on the bench to figure out what's wrong with it.

Cheers,
J.M.
s/v Adventurous
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

One of the possibilities (and this happens with winches, too, btw) is simply calcified grease. The grease gets viscous or even solidified and stops doing it's job. If it's been siting around for years, this could be the problem. If that's the case, a good cleaning and re-lube should do the trick!
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:10   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

two boats and probably 20 years ago we had a manual S-L windlass. It was so slow to raise chain we never used it and pulled it up by hand. The windlass didn't like being ignored and seized up in protest. When we replaced it with a Lofrans Cayman electric one (and went to a bigger anchor and more chain, one size up too) we began to enjoy anchoring again as we could now do so much more easily and quickly and when the usual idiot arrived too close we could choose to move elsewhere ourselves if we wanted instead of just stay put and hope.

INvest in a newelectri windlass is my advice, if the manual ones are so good you should easily find buyer for yours on ebay
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20   #8

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'

I'm guessing you might have a S-L Seatiger (S-L 555). I have a perfectly fine one & had one previously on another boat too. I also have the instruction manual which accompanies the winch. He e are some potential addresses for assistance with parts, slspares.co.uk , sl.spares@btconnect.com sandydavidson85@gmail.com Page not found

Jim O'Dell
M/V Mello Moon
Titusville, Florida
321-266-3490
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:29   #9

Boat: Island Packet 35

It is either going to be a Seatiger or Hyspeed. Easy to tell the difference just by looking at the operating spindle (part where you put the bar in to crank) Round is Seatiger and square is Hyspeed.

We have the Hyspeed and have said once it dies, will replace it with an electric, but it wont die.

Keep it full of oil, and pull off the clutch (turn the opposite way to spin off and pull apart) and clean grease the same as you do your regular winches are about all it needs. We have never had to break open the case to get into the chain or sprokets... Case is well sealed, so problems are normally with caked clutch or operator error on how the clutch works.

First order is to always pull the clutch. Put the bar in the clutch wheel and loosen it. Remove it and pull it carefully off. Clean it all out and regrease. If the winch turns with the clutch off, the internals are good. Put it all back together and go.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37   #10

I recall from working with my first one that the factory installed a large packet of silica gel under the bottom cover that only served to hold moisture inside. Removing that, cleaning out the old solidified grease & re-lubing with Shell Alvania Grease WR or Lubriplate 130-AA should yield good results baring any existing damage.
P.S. I might be talked into selling mine since it is a spare.
Jim O'Dell
M/V Mello Moon
Titusville, Fl.
321-266-3490
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
It is either going to be a Seatiger or Hyspeed. Easy to tell the difference just by looking at the operating spindle (part where you put the bar in to crank) Round is Seatiger and square is Hyspeed.

We have the Hyspeed and have said once it dies, will replace it with an electric, but it wont die.

Keep it full of oil, and pull off the clutch (turn the opposite way to spin off and pull apart) and clean grease the same as you do your regular winches are about all it needs. We have never had to break open the case to get into the chain or sprokets... Case is well sealed, so problems are normally with caked clutch or operator error on how the clutch works.

First order is to always pull the clutch. Put the bar in the clutch wheel and loosen it. Remove it and pull it carefully off. Clean it all out and regrease. If the winch turns with the clutch off, the internals are good. Put it all back together and go.
Good to know the square is the Hyspeed which is what I have and rebuilt. Very simple but robust design consisting of bicycle chains and two counter ratcheting bicycle hubs bathed in 90wt oil. Worse thing for the winch is to not use it, occasionally cranking it a few times keeps the oil bathed on to the chain and ratcheting hubs.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:03   #12

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

We have an SL 555 on our boat. We love it as it goes on and on. Old school for sure but designed to last by builder, SIMPSON LAWRENCE, rare today. Of course I am the kind who likes the option of a hand crank diesel, and a Taylor's cooker, and oil lamps in winter.

Back about six years ago I bought a new one, the last one on the shelf, from FLORIDA RIGGING. At that time they also had parts an did rebuilds on the 555.

My 555 replaced the original 555 installed back in the 70's by the first owner of the boat. I gave it to a friend as it was hanging up as the direction changed on the lever. It was inconsistent. He took it apart, changed the springs, lubed it and it is working perfect now.

Good luck.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:11   #13

We have just replaced our Simpson-Lawrence Anchorman manual windlass with a Lewmar electric. It was very lightly used but we are now seniors and electric seemed right for us. We can offer it at a great price. Let us know if this interests you. Barb and Jack Moore
Barbara Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

I bought our seatiger as a back up to our current ABI/Plath bronze manual windlass. The seatiger appears more robust, and it has two speeds, but the Plath keeps working flawlessly so I haven't swapped it out yet.

We anchor virtually all the time, and never have had the need to haul up by hand (except once when I snapped the handle ). It does take a bit of time to haul up each morning, but the simplicity and solid nature of these workhorses make the trade off pretty easy to make. I enjoy the morning ritual of cranking while sipping my second or third cup of coffee .
Old 11-05-2015, 11:40   #15

To quote my old friend Don Casey, "Your on a sailboat, what's your hurry"?
Jim O'Dell
M/V Mello Moon

Tags
enc, manual windlass, simpson lawrence, wind, windlass