Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 21-06-2017, 22:59   #2776

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
My brother, an architect, likes to point out that something cannot be designed to withstand every possible force placed on it, (eg skyscrapers are not built to withstand full loaded jetliners crashing into them) but is designed to handle loads in reasonably expected situations. Since those situations are difficult to quantify and the loads involved all call for a number of estimations, a safety factor is added.

I doubt any manufacturer would call an anchor indestructible. Nor would I expect to see a redesign based on one failure (technically a yield and partial failure I believe.) Just identifies where the weakest part is. And it looks to me like not too bad of a spot to have a problem as the bulk of the anchor will probably be able to continue functioning, although at reduced efficiency.
Doubt that as the tip is a vital part of and key to the function of any anchor. Looks as if it would simply snap off if used again.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 23:48   #2777

Boat: no boat any more

maybe, if the tip hadn't bent they'd have to cut the chain (depending on depth), as obviously the anchor had been caught under something.
imho the fact that the tip bent is not necessarily negative by itself, it depends on the force that was necessary. given enough force is used something must give! (I've seen elongated chains that didn't fit the gipsy anymore - if that is preferable?)
Old 30-06-2017, 00:15   #2778

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

This is an amazing thread, stuffed full of valuable lessons. Having read around 100 pages until now, it is already clear I will be forever grateful to Noelex and the other posters, for educating us about what really goes on down there on the bottom.

Today I am spotting a technical problem: Most of the pictures from Noelex in this thread have suddenly been replaced by an error message from Photobucket.

It looks like some sort of account or permission has expired.
I have checked from several machines - it does not look like a problem at my end.

Many pictures that were available yesterday are not there today. So I think this is a case of a current change, rather than something historical.
Hopefully this will be possible to rectify.

Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 00:51   #2779

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for the kind words Zven.

Sorry about the photos. I would like to make the photos available to everyone, but the hosting site Photobucket announced yesterday they have blocked third party links from all users unless they upgrade their account. The upgrade apparently costs $400 per year.

Web based companies deserve some payment for their services but I think the very high cost is simply exploiting users that have important images.

The options seem to be:

1. Pay the $400
2. Restore some of the more important photos on a different host (fortunately I still have all the originals)
3. Create a summary with representative photos from each of the anchor types. This type of summary would take some work, but would be much easier to search. I think this would be useful, but it removes one of my aims that people can see the photos of every anchor and therefore make up their own mind about the performance.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 01:09   #2780

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Noelex,

I use Flickr for my photos which is free, at least at the moment. It would be a PITA to have to go back and reset the links but that would be tru of any photohosting site.

The code for sharing from Flickr is a little long winded so there's a bit of editing to do for each photograph but it is just a case of deleting the unnecessary text.

Hope that helps

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 09:38   #2781

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

This thread is one of the best resources I have found for an education on anchoring technique and how anchors actually behave on the bottom. I sincerely hope you can find the time to restore the photos. I have referred many sailors to this thread and hope to be able to continue to do so. I also hope Noelex and SWL will compile the photos and text and publish it.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:12   #2782

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Apparently they have pulled this on all their subscribers:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet

Hope you can find a more responsible site to host your pics. Photobucket is generating a lot of bad karma at the moment.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:48   #2783

Is there perhaps a way for this forum to host the pictures, without relying on any other service?
I know, with some forum software there are two options: members can upload pictures to the same server, or link to pictures elsewhere.

About Photobucket, they are probably laughing all the way to the bank...
Old 01-07-2017, 03:30   #2784

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

laughing until their new customer numbers drop precipitously and all the old ones leave
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 13:38   #2785

Getting back to photos of anchors doing their thing here's a couple from our recent adventures in the Adriatic.

Our Vulcan

Not the best pic I admit but it does show it well dug in. Usual 1500rpm reverse to set and check hold. 3:1 in 6m of water (7.5m to bow roller). Didn't set more as we were only stopping for lunch but I'd have been happy to stay overnight on this set.

Next door I found this:

There is an anchor on the end, it's not just a length of chain lying on the seabed. This belonged to an older Elan33 who'd been in the bay all night. Any guesses as to what was on the end?

Would you believe me if I told you it was a small Bruce that came up when they left? It did take several meters to dig in that deep but that does not take away from the fact this was an impressive set by anyones standards.
Old 01-09-2017, 23:38   #2786

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

nice post, kas.

Great set on the Bruce, and on the Vulcan.

Thanks for the pics.

Ann
Old 02-09-2017, 11:03   #2787

Thanks for the new pics :-)
On a general note ... I see lots of people talking about "setting the anchor with 1500 rpm reverse" or something to that end.
I struggle to understand what that means. Certainly the engine size and boat size will totally determine what such numbers mean in practice...?
Say, with a 20hp engine in a 20 ton monohull sailboat, a few thousand rpms on the engine will hardly be noticed... But for a twin screw lightweight motor yacht with well over 1000 hp, the same rpm can take you to 20 knots on a moment's notice, giving the term "parachute anchor" a whole new meaning ...!
Old 02-09-2017, 13:36   #2788

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
On a general note ... I see lots of people talking about "setting the anchor with 1500 rpm reverse" or something to that end.
I struggle to understand what that means. Certainly the engine size and boat size will totally determine what such numbers mean in practice...?
Say, with a 20hp engine in a 20 ton monohull sailboat, a few thousand rpms on the engine will hardly be noticed... But for a twin screw lightweight motor yacht with well over 1000 hp, the same rpm can take you to 20 knots on a moment's notice, giving the term "parachute anchor" a whole new meaning ...!
Yes, Zven, it does vary from boat to boat. In our boat, our cruising rpm is ~2000. When I set the hook, I usually work up to 2000 in stages, slowly going from 1500 up to 2000, and then hold it for a long minute. If we're expecting a frontal passage, with strong winds, I'll set it at 2200. In soft mud, we usually wind up moving somewhere it will hold at about 1800. This is just something we worked out over years at anchor. It is based on a couple of different boats and engines. If it's calm, you can see the backwash from the prop in reverse, and without a tack, I used to make the water's wash move beyond the bow of the boat, and that worked for us, too, even with older generation anchors.

Ann
Old 02-09-2017, 14:09   #2789

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If using nylon rode, I look for recoil- set anchor at X rpm, then back to idle still in reverse. If set, the stretch will pull the boat forward at reverse idle. No recoil? - try again.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:01   #2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Zven,
Yes you are correct it is a very subjective thing but basically it is a measure of how much setting force you applied to your anchor.
In my case I have a 8.5tonne (11.5tonne displacement) cruiser with a 40hp engine. 1850rpm forward gives 6kts STW so 1500rpm is about 5kts which is a decent reverse setting force. If I expect to see winds above 20kts and I'm anchoring out then I get the Admiral to give her a few more beans to get the Vulcan to really dig in.
Most times 1500rpm is enough to stretch the chain fully taut and with my foot on the chain I can usually feel the anchor dig in and hold. Hold the reverse for 20 seconds then let it off and she springs back forward. Do this a second or even third time and you know you are not going anywhere fast.

Hold that helps explain the comment about reverse setting

Cheers and cold beers

Keiron

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra