Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 14:12   #1321

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Ann,

Would love to provide some photies, unfortunately the Solent normally has the same visability of milky tea

Back to snubbers, on a some what smaller scale (31ft yacht) we use 10m of 10mm nylon and a rubber snubber. The nylon goes all the way back to a Genoa winch which by chance is a fairly straight run from the bow roller. It works even in calm conditions and does stop the chain snap. However, the noise of the slack chain moving slightly across the deck is really noisy for anyone sleeping in the forepeak whilst on deck is barely noticeable.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 19:37   #1322

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
John & Angela,

I just clicked on your Mermaids & Anchors link. I am so sorry to hear of malicious rumors being spread.

Personally, I think this thread you started is a wonderful service, and I hope more and different anchor pix are provided by other CF members.

Thank you both.

Ann

What is this? Not aware but is someone accusing of lack of objectivity? I think the pictures have been very compelling. This from a rocna owner...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 02:23   #1323

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I have been trying to perfect the hardware to take photos without diving.

My aim is to develop a technique so that I can photograph anchors in poor visibility, or when cold, or other hazards prevents diving. With summer approaching and anchoring in areas with 20m+ visibility, they are techniques that hopefully will not be needed for some time .

After lots of experimentation, this is Mark 3 of the hardware: an aluminium paravane modified from an old truck step. Recycling at its best. It should at least frighten the octopi .

A satellite differential GPS position locates the anchor reasonably accurately if you take some care when you drop. I have also been experimenting with the fish finder I have mounted on the tender. The underwater float shows up reasonably well, which helps refine the position.

Here is the trace from the fishfinder on the tender. The top line is the underwater anchor float about 1.5 m above the bottom. The lower trace is the roll bar. The float produces a reasonably distinctive echo that is different to other structures such as rocks or weed. Thermoclines can produce a similar picture, but those that are not the right distance from the bottom can be ignored. So while not 100% reliable, this could potentially be used to help locate a lost anchor even in very poor visibility (if you have an underwater float).

Anyway here is the "paravane" photo. The Mantus has settled just a fraction deeper with the right hand wing now completely buried. The winds have been close to 30 knots. The anchor has not otherwise moved. The initial dig in marks are filling in surprisingly quickly, but can still be seen.

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 02:37   #1324

I have modified a couple of GoPro housing backs to have waterproof glands. Originally it was for the waterproof quad I've ordered but then decided to make a 2nd with a longer cable. This will allow me to connect the gopro directly to the LCD screen so I can see a live view underwater. The long cable version is only 3 meters as I'm only planning to us it on a pole. Perhaps I should get a longer cable and make an anchor live view

The glands are rated to 5 bar I think.

Before my GoPro goes swimming I'm planning to weigh down the housing and let it spend time at maximum depth to see if it stays water tight.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	100797
Old 23-04-2015, 07:11   #1325

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

What about replacing the orange float with your GoPro? Then it would take a movie of the anchor digging in.

Can you program it to take a movie for a few minutes then switch to a time lapse mode of one frame every few minutes? That'd be kind of fun, then just leave it down there until you weigh anchor.
Old 23-04-2015, 08:01   #1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
What about replacing the orange float with your GoPro? Then it would take a movie of the anchor digging in.

Can you program it to take a movie for a few minutes then switch to a time lapse mode of one frame every few minutes? That'd be kind of fun, then just leave it down there until you weigh anchor.
In the right location, I'm planning to mount a GoPro to the anchor shank.

The timelapse would be a great idea but even with the large battery pack, they can only shoot timelapse photos for a couple of hours-
Old 26-04-2015, 08:25   #1327

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Slightly off on a tangent but here is our new Rocna Vulcan installed on our Bavaria Cruiser 40 ready for the new season.

As you can see it fits neatly on our original bow roller. It is wider across the flukes than our old 16kg Delta but actually shorter overall so I guess that makes it a more compact anchor.

Hopefully we'll get to test dive it later this week but not hopeful of any photos just yet as the sea is well below my threshold temperature. I might put the wimp suit on if it is a nice sunny day.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 12:11   #1328
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

A quick snap of the kobra at grand anse, Martinique, nice fast set in weed on sand 5m @ 5:1. Actually a bit less. As most readers will know scope should be the depth plus height of tide plus the height of the roller above the water. Rather than calculate all that we usually clip our bridle on at the depth plus tide, although the bridle clips on about 5m in front of the bow when attached and our roller is close to 1.6m above the water, so our bridle portion is always 3:1. Confused? Me too
Anyway it works for us and so far no drags and several times anchored in over 30K at 3:1 scope. Not what I would consider ideal!

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1430075286.069592.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	100968
And a visitor on the way to the anchor...

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1430075409.281823.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	100969
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 20:12   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
What is this? Not aware but is someone accusing of lack of objectivity? I think the pictures have been very compelling.

I am so sorry too. I know I appreciate this thread and the photos. There are other owners with different anchors sharing photos too.

It is insulting to think we can't evaluate the posts. You guys are doing an amazing & thorough job of anchors effectiveness.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 20:15   #1330

Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
And a visitor on the way to the anchor...

A beautiful picture. Love it!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 09:11   #1331

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
A quick snap of the kobra at grand anse, Martinique, nice fast set in weed on sand 5m @ 5:1. Actually a bit less. As most readers will know scope should be the depth plus height of tide plus the height of the roller above the water. Rather than calculate all that we usually clip our bridle on at the depth plus tide, although the bridle clips on about 5m in front of the bow when attached and our roller is close to 1.6m above the water, so our bridle portion is always 3:1. Confused? Me too
Anyway it works for us and so far no drags and several times anchored in over 30K at 3:1 scope. Not what I would consider ideal!
As you say, your estimation technique brings you up a bit short. In 10m of water, you'd actually be at 4.7:1. It gets worse the shallower the water. In 2m (probably the practical limit), you'd be at 4.2:1.

Not a huge deal, usually, but you may want to put out a few extra meters for good luck sometimes.
Old 28-04-2015, 03:18   #1332

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This anchorage has a large slabs of rock around. I managed to find a patch that had clear sand for several boat lengths. There is always some concern with this type of substrate that there is more rock just under the sand, but the Mantus has dug in well. 5.5m @ 5:1.

Old 28-04-2015, 23:49   #1333

Well we got the anchor wet for the first time yesterday evening in one of our favourite anchoring spots, Vinisce Bay, and for the first time the water was incredibly clear. We've actually never seen it as clear as this in 5 years of coming here!

However as the water is a toe curlingly 15ºC no swimming was attempted but as we were lying over the anchor this morning and it was clearly visible I got a snapshot from the surface with my android phone. Sorry it is not the best image and it has been adjusted to try to bring the contrast up to make it easier to see but you can see the "splashdown" where the anchor hit bottom and how well it has dug in over a short distance. Scope is about 3:1 (25m out in 6m water plus 1.5m bow roller drop). I say 'about' as I'd forgotten to reset the windlass counter after changing the chain - oops!

Bottom is muddy sand with a layer of algae rather than weed.

Once the water warms up I'll venture in with the waterproof compact and get some better pictures.

Keiron
Old 29-04-2015, 04:34   #1334

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The first underwater photo of the Vulcan
Old 29-04-2015, 07:07   #1335

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The first underwater photo of the Vulcan
Well photo of a Vulcan underwater if not an actual underwater photo

After an enforced plunge today due to some severe juddering of the prop I can say with hand on heart proper underwater photos will be waiting until I buy some extra neoprene. 16ºC is bloody cold with only a shortie!

Keiron

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra