Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 12:54   #1336

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Well we got the anchor wet for the first time yesterday evening in one of our favourite anchoring spots, Vinisce Bay, and for the first time the water was incredibly clear. We've actually never seen it as clear as this in 5 years of coming here!

Bottom is muddy sand with a layer of algae rather than weed.

Once the water warms up I'll venture in with the waterproof compact and get some better pictures.

Keiron
Oh no! The shaft is already bent!!! Bloody Rocnas.
Old 04-05-2015, 19:48   #1337

Photos of Anchors Setting

Funny!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:41   #1338

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This was a shot from the surface in 10m of water (4.5:1), so it is not enormously clear. The Mantus has set quickly and level, although some of the fluke is still exposed (a bit more than it looks in the photo).

This is not one of its greatest sets, but the big Mantus still has lots of fluke area under the sand, allowing us to leave and explore the island's interior with a hire car. Of course you cannot keep a mermaid away from water so after a long hike to a deserted waterfall, a dip was in order followed by a picnic lunch.

One of the advantages of the best oversized anchor is the confidence to leave the boat unattended at anchor. BTW note the bucket on the bottom. An anchor that catches this sort of debris will never set.

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 03:44   #1339

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

After an overnight sail we dropped our anchor at around midnight in a new spot. The only company was a Greek warship. I did not go over and look at their anchor .

I found out the next morning with the bathyscope that the anchorage is quite weedy, but by good fortune managed to hit a relatively light patch. The marine chart does not list the bottom type and the spot is not listed in any of the pilot books, but modern anchors work in a wide cross section of substrates.

The bottom drops off rapidly. Within less than 1/2 a mile from the beach it is over 80m (250 feet) deep. Anchoring on a downslope has a significant impact on reducing the effective scope, but unfortunately the rapid change means you anchoring close to the shallows with little opportunity to use a long scope if you want a 360 degree swing circle. In the end we settled for 4.5:1 in 10m of water. In the light of day it looks like a good call.

The Mantus has set very nicely. You can see how it has set in less that a metre and sliced through the weed without any problems.

The photos from the surface were very poor so this is from the "dangle under the tender method":

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 05:14   #1340

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
Google 'snatch straps' for more info
Probably shouldn't do so while at work or with the wife around?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 15:56   #1341

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Probably shouldn't do so while at work or with the wife around?

Mark
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 13:17   #1342
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Any pictures of tandems setting (not setting)?

I find the photos on Wemar's web site comical (primary has tripped). In fact, their videos and photos do not show a single success. Funny.

Though I can't take in water pictures here (too muddy), beaches are interesting. In this case, the greater holding of a Guardian lifted it out. It's just an expensive kellet now. It's a good little anchor, just misapplied in this case.

Though it can be done. The nearer is a Mantus, properly applied and it is buried.

But in-water pictures are better (success and failure).
Old 26-05-2015, 08:24   #1343
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Time for a dip and quick anchor check after my homework. Kobra in 8m at 4:1 good fast set
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432653848.088779.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	102724
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:57   #1344

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Wow. Too many posts for one day of looking, so I'll be back. I enjoy diving on other people's anchors. I once even saw a CQR dig in, but since I did not have the camera, it remains an "unconfirmed sighting".
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:18   #1345

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Wow. Too many posts for one day of looking, so I'll be back. I enjoy diving on other people's anchors. I once even saw a CQR dig in, but since I did not have the camera, it remains an "unconfirmed sighting".
LOL. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 26-05-2015, 20:24   #1346

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

A neighbour on the quay, who has a CQR, is looking to replace it and took great interest in the Vulcan on my bow. He told me that he'd read somewhere "that CQRs should be removed from boats immediately as they are dangerous and have a tendency to snake and break free."

Now I hasten to point out that this would be considered "hearsay" evidence as I've not seen the comment myself.

Anyway, I passed on my research into anchors and he's been digging around the web himself so I think a NewGen anchor might appear on his bow soon.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 15:35   #1347

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

45lb Mantus. USVI. Sand and sea grass.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1432766068055.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	102799  
SVArgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:34   #1348
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's one of the worst sets I've seen on the 25kg Kobra 5:1 in 5m
The seabed here is stated on the chart as a mixture of coral and cobbles. I haven't come across the term cobbles before but it seems to be very hard but possible to dig into. We set the anchor 2 days ago with a bit less reverse thrust than usual, about 2000rpm on both engines for a minute or two. I thought we were in sand and we weren't dragging at all. We've had a bit of breeze, up to 25kn, and there's no sign the anchor has moved at all. I might try reverse at 2400RPM for a couple of minutes and see if it digs any deeper, but as it's been holding well I'm not overly concerned at this stage..

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432924471.250709.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	102891Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432924484.986407.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	102892
Old 29-05-2015, 14:51   #1349

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Here's one of the worst sets I've seen on the 25kg Kobra 5:1 in 5m
The seabed here is stated on the chart as a mixture of coral and cobbles. I haven't come across the term cobbles before but it seems to be very hard but possible to dig into. We set the anchor 2 days ago with a bit less reverse thrust than usual, about 2000rpm on both engines for a minute or two. I thought we were in sand and we weren't dragging at all. We've had a bit of breeze, up to 25kn, and there's no sign the anchor has moved at all. I might try reverse at 2400RPM for a couple of minutes and see if it digs any deeper, but as it's been holding well I'm not overly concerned at this stage..
Attachment 102891Attachment 102892
A guess at the problem: one of the cobbles is in the way of the anchor setting more deeply. Maybe more wind would dig it in more, but I think it could also start to drag then. The wind will provide more force on your anchor than your engines, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for posting a picture of a less than perfect set. I'm eagerly waiting for a chance to start photographing how our anchor sets, but lots of work to do first (haulout jobs with long list.) On edit: actually, do you have any other pics of other people's anchors set in that bottom, for comparison?

Ann
Old 29-05-2015, 15:00   #1350
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No I don't Anne. Actually I just asked Jen to reverse at full revs while I dived on the anchor, hoping to catch it setting with the video camera. A couple of minutes at 3400rpm and it didn't budge, not even a puff of sand. The chain was off the seabed tight right back to the shackle. I guess it's staying put.

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra