Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 18:25   #391
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Open Source Anchor Project

Why on earth would anyone think I want an unbendable shank

But, sorry, I have not been paying sufficient attention!

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:52   #392

PDFs attached of the drawings I posted yesterday. These should print to scale at 11" x 17" scale being 3" = 1'.

Couple notes to anyone I have sent AutoCAD drawings to-

Everything is on Layer1 expect the fluke and the two shanks nested in a 21" x 48" rectangle which are on Layer0.

These are closed objects at finished sizes with the slot in the fluke sized at .500" so depending on who is making it and how, they will have to adjust the thickness to the size of the actual material they are using as well as to make any allowance for an increase in thickness from finishing such as galvanizing.

I have the bottle opener as a separate closed object, again depending on who is cutting and how, and I have left out holes except for the rode attachment with the thought you would just drill these rather than having them cut.

It looks like Estarzinger is in the Washington DC area so I thought I would try and find someone local for him and get some prices for the test pieces and will let you know what I come up with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OSA1.0drawing1.pdf (9.1 KB, 729 views)
File Type: pdf OSA1.0drawing2.pdf (6.1 KB, 516 views)
File Type: pdf OSA1.0drawing3.pdf (5.7 KB, 549 views)
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 13:10   #393

Hi All

This looks like a fantastic project you folks are working on. I'm currently working as part of a research team at the University of Exeter in the UK, developing innovative drag embedment anchor solutions for the marine renewable energy industry.

We're currently putting together a bespoke anchor test rig complete with load cells, inclinometers and variable anchor deployment settings, supported by some pretty tidy CAD resources and a significant budget for machining test anchors.

It would be great to take a look at your drawings and see if we can further your project alongside our own research work. I guess it might be useful for you to have some further readings to support your existing assessment of designs.

Anyhow, let me know if you feel we can be of assistance.

Shawn
Anchor.Research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 06:05   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor.Research View Post
Hi All

This looks like a fantastic project you folks are working on. I'm currently working as part of a research team at the University of Exeter in the UK, developing innovative drag embedment anchor solutions for the marine renewable energy industry.

We're currently putting together a bespoke anchor test rig complete with load cells, inclinometers and variable anchor deployment settings, supported by some pretty tidy CAD resources and a significant budget for machining test anchors.

It would be great to take a look at your drawings and see if we can further your project alongside our own research work. I guess it might be useful for you to have some further readings to support your existing assessment of designs.

Anyhow, let me know if you feel we can be of assistance.

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your kind words. As you can see we have a very home grown effort going on here. Unfortunately, between a busy work schedule and having to shovel all the snow off the docks we have had in the northeast this winter, I just haven't had any time to devote to anchor making lately. Hopefully a situation that will change in the coming months.

While I am not sure there is a lot of carry over between the simple small boat anchor we are working on and a drag embedment anchor for offshore oil, knowledge is power and I am happy to share what we have so far and has sent you a PM with my email address.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2014, 16:24   #395

Hey Vientoman,
If you've made any progress on getting any of these built, I've got the perfect test bed and I'm local in PDX. I've got a 68' houseboat that I anchor full time, usually 2-4 anchors and a shore line or two. I typically run 50 lb danforths since we've mostly got sand/mud and they get loaded up pretty well on a regular basis. I'm thinking it would be fun to put one of these in parallel with my standard setup and slack off the danforth so all the load is on the OSA (Open Source Anchor) but I'd have the backup in case they fail. I keep my sailboat at Portland Yacht Club, so it would be an easy meeting point if you get down this way.
Kenny
Kenny Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 16:50   #396

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Hi Kenny,

excuses excuses......here's mine: I've been doing my best to get my cat in the water for shake down in the columbia so I'm faced with a hundred other details. I haven't made the time to fabricate an OSA as of yet. If you are in Hood River, come by and see "Mariana". F-44SC Catamaran F-44SC Catamaran give me a txt and I'll give you directions. five 4 one- three 99- two 6 five 2
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 21:55   #397
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
Around the time positive reports were coming in is right around when Ancora Latina closed up shop... possibly due to Alain's death.
Yes but they did live on. Taken a few days ago in a land not to far from me but further from you. There's been a fair few go onto boats since Alain left us. The people doing them decided there was enough anchor white noise on the interweb as it was and not to add more to it so just plod on with them. They had a massive 125kg one leaving as I rocked up, strap on a 150hp and take me water sking

I know they are getting a little concerned with the way some greenies are picking up the sea bed damage some anchors are now doing. I suspect they think they may get tangled up in that and will be left with a lot of stuff unable to be sold. While the Raya does do a little of the damage some of the others do it's far from the worst but as she said 'lots of littles equals a big so we'll probably be targeted also'.

They weren't keen on me taking photos due to another bit of gear they are developing, I snapped the above before they told me that and then trimmed a bit out, but they did have a good sized pile in production.

GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 09:17   #398
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Dumas View Post
Hey Vientoman,
If you've made any progress on getting any of these built, I've got the perfect test bed and I'm local in PDX. I've got a 68' houseboat that I anchor full time, usually 2-4 anchors and a shore line or two. I typically run 50 lb danforths since we've mostly got sand/mud and they get loaded up pretty well on a regular basis. I'm thinking it would be fun to put one of these in parallel with my standard setup and slack off the danforth so all the load is on the OSA (Open Source Anchor) but I'd have the backup in case they fail. I keep my sailboat at Portland Yacht Club, so it would be an easy meeting point if you get down this way.
Kenny
Hi, You must be the boat off Tomahawk Island. I'll have to drop by and say hi some time.

-Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:06   #399

Boat: Sabre 28

"Yes but they did live on. Taken a few days ago in a land not to far from me but further from you. There's been a fair few go onto boats since Alain left us."

I'm glad to hear they are available again. I have been very pleased with mine.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:13   #400
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
"Yes but they did live on. Taken a few days ago in a land not to far from me but further from you. There's been a fair few go onto boats since Alain left us."

I'm glad to hear they are available again. I have been very pleased with mine.

Shawn
Your comment is echoed by other users as well Shawn. But then they do have a pedigree to beat all others so that's got to give them a good head start. That Alain was a very clever guy.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 15:07   #401

I know this thread hasn't moved in a while but I wonder if the project has moved along? Any of these built?

And on a similar note any chance I could get the .dxf or similar file to cut with?
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 21:52   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cu Mor Glas View Post
I know this thread hasn't moved in a while but I wonder if the project has moved along? Any of these built?

And on a similar note any chance I could get the .dxf or similar file to cut with?
My excuses-
Crossed Atlantic last summer.
Rebuilt nav station and galley including new refrigeration this past winter.
Installed new engine this summer (almost finished!)

Once I finish my engine project and get some sailing out of the way I figured I'd get back into the anchor project so your request is timely.

The forum has no means to post .dxf's but if you PM me an email address I would be more than happy to give you the files as well as to provide any assistance I can.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:46   #403

those are all pretty legitimate excuses!

I'll pm you my address. I am currently living aboard sticks down in the Erie canal but in the next month or so I have to make my way to Oswego and lake Ontario for the winter. But once that is settled I have a 4ft x 4ft table which at the moment only has a router on it but which was always meant to have a plasma cutter as an alternative head. I think this winter I would like to make that happen and knock out a couple anchors.
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:55   #404

Great. I've been meaning to take another pass at the design, just some subtle tweeking. Nothing major but maybe make the switch to 5/8" plate which will mean reducing the fluke size to make the weight. In the meantime I'll send you what I have later today.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:15   #405

For what it's worth I thought I would mention that I did get a price a while back from a local guy with a high-def plasma cutter to cut parts.

He quoted me about $1k including materials to cut a 4' x 8' sheet from which you could get parts for ten anchors so $100 per unit base cost. Have to add in labor to dress edges and assemble as well as finishing costs but still a very reasonable price.

Tags
anchor