Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 09:05   #1

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1
Maxwell vs. Lewmar Verticle Windlass?

Merry Xmas Everyone,

I am going to install either a Maxwell or Lewmar Verticle windlass on my 1982 Catalina 30, Mark 1. I have found the "how to" on the site and it is pretty straight forward. I do have to weld up an aluminum bracket to mount it in the chain locker.

From reading all I can, the Maxwell units seem to be a better product than the Lewmar, seemingly based on the fact that it seems more folks have had problems with Lewmar. Maxwell customers seem to have more praise for the service folks and the units seem to have less problems.

As an older salt, 67, I am tired of hauling up the anchor manually. Looking at the Maxwell RC6 or 8. Currently using 30' of 1/4" chain and 250' of 1/2" rope.

So, the big question is "what do you think and would like to see your opinions on this. Thank you.darrel
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 11:03   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Maxwell vs. Lewmar Verticle Windlass?

I'd strongly suggest a Maxwell. Specifically, one of this series. http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_vw.php As with it, you get the perks of a more “standard” windlass, with a built in chainpipe. Only, you can mount it just behind, but not in, the chain locker. So that the motor doesn’t live inside of a compartment which is perennially damp, & or totally full of water.
Thus, you’ll greatly increase the lifespan of the unit. Not to mention, having more flexibility as to where you place it.

Plus, with the independent (powered) capstan, it's easy to use that portion of the windlass for performing other serious chores. And with the configuration of this series of windlass, you can use it to handle two anchors at once.

Also, Maxwell’s have been around for many, many decades. Gracing the foredecks of many of the Grand Marque’s. With good reason, they work, & work well.
Where Lewmar’s marketing trend seems to run to fitting out large numbers of European production boats. A large percentage of which, are destined for the charter fleets.Where the boats, & their hardware, have a short, by calculated design, lifespan.Thus short lived hardware fits with said program.

A couple of other thoughts to consider: When choosing what style to go with, know that it's a good bit easier to tail a primarily rope rode, from a horizontal windlass, than it is from a vertical one.
Also, don't overspend on the windlass, in relation to the value of your boat.

Not to overly Lewmar bash, but If you do a bit of searching on here, regarding the quality in general of Lewmar’s products, you’ll more than likely run across a lot of negative comments. Both on product quality, & their so called “customer service”.

I’ve worked on boats for 3+ decades, & continually hear tales of woe regarding their products. That, and the piss poor support provided by the company. For example, I’ve lost track of the number of their blocks which I’ve seen fail at loads only a fraction of what they’re rated at. A story which is pretty universal, including a multiplicity of folks chucking all of their Lewmar blocks after failures during the ARC, & switching to Harken. Much to their delight, after living with the new ones for a bit.

PS: You'll likely need to recore your deck with something a bit more substantial, & water resistant, in the vicinity of the windlass, & any under deck reinforcements/backing plates. Ditto on any highly loaded, deck mounted, anchoring accessories.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 11:12   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Another nod to the Maxwell
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 19:44   #4

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

Thank you for the info and all your points are well received. Appears a Maxwell unit will be used for the install. Now all I have to figure out is size, RC 6 or 8.

Pretty sure an RC 6 will provide what is needed. Thank you. darrel
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 21:26   #5

Have had both. Go with Maxwell.

Go look at the RC6 before buying. I think you'll feel it looks "light weight". Better for a small power boat. The RC8 is 50% heavier than the RC6.

Look at the installation diagrams carefully. Make sure your rode will enter the windlass at the angle shown or it will jam. Also be sure the there's enough distance below the windlass for the rode to "drop" . Otherwise it will bunch at the "chain pipe" and also jam. These windlasses are typically mounted at deck level.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 09:36   #6

And one more thought: Don't grudge the incremental acquisition cost of going up a size.

In TrentePieds (30 feet) I have the Vetus ["cheat us" to some Europeans :-)] equivalent of the Lewmar RC6. It works, of course, but not well.

1) You say that you want the machine cos you are tired of the pull-ye-haul-ye. Uncivilized (#2) is right. Then a windlass is of far more use than a capstan, cos with a baby capstan, like the RC6, you have to get down on your hands and knees to tail it. With a windlass you can stay on your feet and hold on to the forestay with one hand while you tail with the other.

2) With a baby capstan you'll find that the spurling pipe is of such small diameter that to get the chain-to-rope splice on 1/2" rode through it, you have to get on your hands and knees to poke it through, which implies a certain danger to your fingers. In TrentePieds I've sometimes had to send MyBeloved below to pull the splice through from the chain locker side. She is good about it, but we shouldn't have to do that!

I have about a decade on you, and I handle my tackle the old-fashioned way. I justify it as the only real exercise I get while aboard :-) I find that because Vetus stresses "pretty" over "functional", when coming to anchor I have to haul all the rode I need out on deck and flake it down. Never any hang-ups that way :-) Weighing, I haul it all up on deck and flake it. If it's blowing hard enuff to make that more exercise than I think I can handle, I let MB bring her forward slowly on the engine while I haul. Then, once we are under way with MB on the helm, I let the Vetus do as much as it can, which ain't much cos as you know "you can't push a rope", then I go below and haul the splice through the spurling pipe. Then I let the Vetus drop the chain in. That's about all its good for.

The Vetus is there, so it will stay. If it hadn't been there, sure as apples I'd have better things to spend my money on :-)!

Best for the Season :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:12   #7
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I bought a Lewnar V2 for little more than one third the list price. Motor is strong, body and Gypsy are nice, install was easy and I thought I had a good support from the factory, but other parts are incredibly cheap. The downlock holdback was a small piece of plastic, which lasted about two months in the sun. I put a piece of aluminum on after it dried out and the screw that held it in disintegrated about two months later . Pot metal. Who Morrow send me new plastic piece and screw quickly, no questions asked. They realize the problem but not anything with it
Old 25-12-2015, 21:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have a now discontinued Lewmar vertical windlass with rope/chain gypsy and rope capstan above. It's worked without problem though I haven't done a lot of anchoring with it.

Highly recommend getting a vertical with the rope capstan as well as a chain gypsy. First thing I did after installing the windlass was run aground in mostly mud but with a large rock that the bow would have laid against as the tide went out. Rowed out a kedge anchor and pulled the bow away from the rock and all was well till the tide came back in. Couldn't have done that with just a chain/rope gypsy type that you are thinking about getting. A lot of other uses for the rope capstan when you need some muscle on a line like hauling someone up the mast in a bosun's chair, kedging off or pulling into a Med. Tie docking set up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 22:42   #9

Why would anyone mount a windlass vertically?

ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 03:06   #10

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelweb View Post
Merry Xmas Everyone,

I am going to install either a Maxwell or Lewmar Verticle windlass on my 1982 Catalina 30, Mark 1. I have found the "how to" on the site and it is pretty straight forward. I do have to weld up an aluminum bracket to mount it in the chain locker.

From reading all I can, the Maxwell units seem to be a better product than the Lewmar, seemingly based on the fact that it seems more folks have had problems with Lewmar. Maxwell customers seem to have more praise for the service folks and the units seem to have less problems.
I have no experience with Maxwell, sold by Vetus here in The Netherlands. In general they seem to get good reviews.
Nevertheless I bought a Lewmar V3/8mm Windlass. One reason for me was the good price, the other the all stainless steel top unit.
I have just put it in our boat so no real experience yet, but it seems to work very nicely.

Enclosed are some pictures both below and above deck. I'm quite happy with the result. Below deck a nice teak-veneered motor cover is worked on by a carpenter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AboveDeck1.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	115730   Click image for larger version

Name:	AboveDeck2.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	115731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	UnderDeck.jpg