Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 07:07   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Longer wire for windlass remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
There ya go, thanks!

Hadn't even thought of that... I'll go look, but at first thought I'm thinking that some of that electrical potting gel stuff might reduce the disposability?
We have been using a "Quick" wireless remote on our Maxwell Windlass since 2006. The unit has proven to be very reliable and quite robust. While it was available when we installed our Windlass, a similar Maxwell wireless remote control is now available at somewhat less cost. We do have a wired hand held controller (in lieu of foot switches) as well which we plug in whenever we need the windlass but we have rarely ever needed he device.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 07:11   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I just looked at the Maxwell remote link you provided. That looks exactly like the $12 one I bought, only mine doesn't have "Maxwell" written on it!

I'm sure the Maxwell is better quality, and may even really be waterproof, but it does cost over 20x more.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 07:15   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It was just a suggestion. I was just trying to help.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as aggravated at you. I appreciate the advice - just disgusted with the $200 controller and THEN a $5-700 receiver on top of that, although there are latter suggestions in the thread for far less.

That said, even the cheaper 'marine' (the suggested Maxwell) is far more than the also-suggested truck winch wireless controls. Geez...

thank you all for these suggestions, they are appreciated
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 08:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I just looked at the Maxwell remote link you provided. That looks exactly like the $12 one I bought, only mine doesn't have "Maxwell" written on it!

I'm sure the Maxwell is better quality, and may even really be waterproof, but it does cost over 20x more.

Mark
Where we sail, certainty about one's on-deck electrics gear being water proof is absolutely necessary. Remember the adage "Penny Wise..."

Different Ships, Different Long Splices, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 19-02-2015, 09:27   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You will need to know how many conductors are in the cable and what size (gauge) they are. You will need to know how you will connect the wires at each end (solder, screw, crimp, etc.) and how you will seal them from water intrusion.

Have you considered buying and installing a wireless remote instead of modifying your existing wired remote? I don't have or need one but some people really like them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:42   #21

I made my remotes out of crane controls bought at McMaster Carr. I cant remember exactly what wire I used, but it wasn't difficult to figure... just needed to be good quality, heavy gage and flexible.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Where we sail, certainty about one's on-deck electrics gear being water proof is absolutely necessary. Remember the adage "Penny Wise..."

Different Ships, Different Long Splices, eh?
Yeah, I had reservations about these and got them on a whim at $12 - but everything is installed below decks in dry areas, not on-deck or even in a locker. It does depend on where your reversing solenoid is located - ours is located in a machinery cabinet where if water ever found itself there, we would lose our inverter, charger, refrigeration and AC. But even if the solenoid was in a wet place, there is no reason the remote box has to be located there too. Just run a wire from a dry place.

Besides, the control box itself is completely sealed - it's only the remote unit that I have doubts about being fully immersible. For that, it comes with 2 controls for that $12, so if one goes there is another, and extra controls only cost $3.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-02-2015, 12:29   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
.......... It does depend on where your reversing solenoid is located - .........
Speaking of reversing solenoids (often called "contactors"), If your windlass uses one, the wires to the remote will be relatively small. If not, they will be pretty heavy gauge. That's why I mentioned wire size in my previous response.
Old 19-02-2015, 14:48   #24

Quote:
Speaking of reversing solenoids (often called "contactors"), If your windlass uses one, the wires to the remote will be relatively small. If not, they will be pretty heavy gauge. That's why I mentioned wire size in my previous response.
Yeah, I wondered about that. The wires to ours are maybe 20g? Very small. So small as to be difficult. I hate small wires.

Mark

Old 19-02-2015, 15:16   #25

Quote:
Yeah, I had reservations about these and got them on a whim at $12 - but everything is installed below decks in dry areas, not on-deck or even in a locker. It does depend on where your reversing solenoid is located - ours is located in a machinery cabinet where if water ever found itself there, we would lose our inverter, charger, refrigeration and AC. But even if the solenoid was in a wet place, there is no reason the remote box has to be located there too. Just run a wire from a dry place.

Besides, the control box itself is completely sealed - it's only the remote unit that I have doubts about being fully immersible. For that, it comes with 2 controls for that $12, so if one goes there is another, and extra controls only cost $3.

Mark
Mark--If $12 USD is the cost of both the transmitters ("key fobs") and the receiver, and replacement key fobs are only $3 USD, that's a heck of a deal (although I would question the prospective longevity and I'd hate to have them fail just when one needed them). Assuming you could seal the key fob is a vacuum pack bag however, the weather conditions would be less of an issue. The Maxwell link I posted earlier includes the transmitter, the receiver and all that's necessary to connect same to the reversing solenoid on the windlass (all of which are located below decks on our own boat). The Maxwell key fobs float and are IP67 waterproof rated. Please note, however, that our system is the "Quick" rather than Maxwell but with similar ratings. We also have the key fob/transmitters on lanyards that clip onto ones belt or web-gear so they don't go adrift if one is working in extreme conditions ob deck which, fortunately, we've only had to do on a few rare occasions (knock in wood!).
Old 19-02-2015, 15:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Mark--If $12 USD is the cost of both the transmitters ("key fobs") and the receiver, and replacement key fobs are only $3 USD, that's a heck of a deal (although I would question the prospective longevity and I'd hate to have them fail just when one needed them).
That's what I paid for them. If they fail just when I need them, I will simply stomp on the wired foot switches, or grab the wired remote.

Mark

Old 19-02-2015, 15:46   #27

Boat: Oyster 66

I've just replaced my Lewmar deck switches that failed after 2 years. IP69 or whatever. They still failed. My 2 yr old Chinese wireless winch remotes are going strong, with much more utility and a quarter the cost. It's hard to judge adequate quality.

If in doubt about weatherproofing many components like this can be potted and IP-ed very easily and cheaply with a small bag of compound.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 07:49   #28

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi folks,
I bought a wireless set up for my Maxwell windlass last year. I was unable to make it work, as the directions were virtually nonexistent. The boat is in Mexico, but I will make another attempt when I go there soon.

Can anyone post how they wired theirs? I have just the up and down foot switches.

Thanks, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 08:01   #29

Generally, there is a wireless box with several wires coming out of it.

Red=+12V
Black=-12V
another wire connects to the up terminal of your windlass solenoid control
another wire connects to the down terminal of your windlass solenoid control

You will need to figure out which of those "another" are which. The worse that can happen is that you connect them backwards and the control buttons work opposite than you expect. Just swap them around if this happens.

There may be another wire that is the antenna. This doesn't connect to anything.

Mark

Old 26-02-2015, 05:11   #30

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi folks,

I bought a wireless set up for my Maxwell windlass last year. I was unable to make it work, as the directions were virtually nonexistent. The boat is in Mexico, but I will make another attempt when I go there soon.

Can anyone post how they wired theirs? I have just the up and down foot switches.

Thanks, Bill

If you only have foot switches, there is a good chance that they're full current switches,meaning you at not have the required solenoid box to attach the wireless remote too. Either post a picture of the underside of your foot switch of you're not sure or post a pic of your solenoid box (if you have one) and a pic of the remote receiver for wiring help.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, wind, windlass