Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 05:58   #1
cruiser

Longer wire for windlass remote?

I've done a search and didn't find my exact query, so if this is redundant, please direct me to the primary and delete this thread. thx

Issue: I like the windlass remote I have, except for its cord. I was hoping that I could just install a longer cord onto the remote. I looked online for replacement cords, and all I've seen are either exact replacements for the entire unit or else replacement of the unit with a complete different system.

Before I go tearing into my remote, I was wondering whether anyone else has replaced his windlass remote cord and if there is anything I should know. Yes, I'll disconnect the electrickery before I whale into it.

thanks
Jay
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Longer wire for windlass remote?

Not a windlass, but plenty of terra firma winches... Not too much to it man... Couple O wires our fat fingers can actually manipulate...

PS Kevin's top shelf people... Been working with him a lot, no resolution yet though... Thanks for the hookup!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:18   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I just replaced the cord on our Quick wired remote. I bought a coiled AC extension cord (Coleman brand), cut the outlet plugs off of it and soldered the wires to the remote control on one end and the remote plug on the other.

You can buy these extension cords at many lengths.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:25   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I just built one of my own, a rocker switch, some 14/3 round cable, and a pvc housing. It's been going strong for 5 years.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I just built one of my own, a rocker switch, some 14/3 round cable, and a pvc housing. It's been going strong for 5 years.
Yes, but he already has the rocker switch, housing and plug fitting. He is only looking for a new cable. BTW, coiled cable has a lot of advantages in this application.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-02-2015, 06:35   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
PS Kevin's top shelf people... Been working with him a lot, no resolution yet though... Thanks for the hookup!
He's our rigger, even though he's two states away. Worth paying the shipping. Super good egg.
Old 19-02-2015, 06:37   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
............. Before I go tearing into my remote, I was wondering whether anyone else has replaced his windlass remote cord and if there is anything I should know. Yes, I'll disconnect the electrickery before I whale into it.
You will need to know how many conductors are in the cable and what size (gauge) they are. You will need to know how you will connect the wires at each end (solder, screw, crimp, etc.) and how you will seal them from water intrusion.

Have you considered buying and installing a wireless remote instead of modifying your existing wired remote? I don't have or need one but some people really like them.
Old 19-02-2015, 06:37   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
BTW, coiled cable has a lot of advantages in this application
That's what's on it and one of the reasons I'm interested in replacement. Damn thing might just be long enough, but because of the coils I can't tug on it to bring the remote out to the bows because it'll unplug itself

Nevertheless, thank you for your time and advice. Sounds like a plan (other than the coiled)

rwidman: If you see a wireless for less than 4 boat bux, let me know. Just ain't worth that much to me. And frankly the wireless introduces complexity as well but if was cheaper I'd probably live with it
Old 19-02-2015, 06:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
That's what's on it and one of the reasons I'm interested in replacement. Damn thing might just be long enough, but because of the coils I can't tug on it to bring the remote out to the bows because it'll unplug itself

Nevertheless, thank you for your time and advice. Sounds like a plan (other than the coiled)

rwidman: If you see a wireless for less than 4 boat bux, let me know. Just ain't worth that much to me. And frankly the wireless introduces complexity as well but if was cheaper I'd probably live with it
Jay...

People have been having great luck with the land based winch wireless remotes... At $50 a pop... They are disposable too!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:49   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It is quite easy to extend, you just need the right core wire (usually 3 or 4). Check the number of pins.

There are perhaps some better options, depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve.
You can pick up very cheap ($20?) wireless remote units. They are easy to wire in addition to your wired remote.

The other option is to buy an industrial wired switch unit. These are also very cheap and tend to just (more ?) reliable than the marine units. Once again this can be added in parallel with your existing unit.

Wired remotes do fail often so an additional unit (wired or wireless) is a good back up.

This is my wireless remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	97436  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:49   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
People have been having great luck with the land based winch wireless remotes... At $50 a pop... They are disposable too!
There ya go, thanks!

Hadn't even thought of that... I'll go look, but at first thought I'm thinking that some of that electrical potting gel stuff might reduce the disposability?
Old 19-02-2015, 06:57   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a typical industrial wired switching unit. You can leave your current unit as is. $20 ? on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	155
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	97437  
Old 19-02-2015, 06:58   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

It was just a suggestion. I was just trying to help.

Personally, I'm satisfied with the buttons on the deck. Nothing to misplace, nothing to drop overboard and my hands are left free to use a hose on the chain or whatever.
Old 19-02-2015, 07:03   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I attached an hand held VHF with a dead battery to mine. It gets its power from the cable instead of the battery. A great way to recycle an old HH VHF. This can then communicate with the helm (be wary of cluttering up the frequencies, but in the deserted areas I sail and on low power it is not much of a problem)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	144
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	97438  
Old 19-02-2015, 07:04   #15

Quote:
Well that is easy to solve - just change the plug end to one that screws on and stays captured. That is how ours is, and I didn't even think they came another way. I can tug on ours to full extension with no problem.

We recently bought two wireless remotes for $12 each - search Amazon or eBay for these. At the price, you can just throw them away if they only last a couple of years - you can buy 15 of them for the price of a "marine" one.

They work well, but have a few quirks. There is a small delay between pushing a button and getting a result. So if you are holding the button down retrieving your anchor, you must be aware that you want to release the button before you want the windlass to stop. I don't know if the expensive marine ones also are like this (suspect they are). Also, many of these are labelled "waterproof", but they sure don't look more than "moisture resistant". Again, they cost $12…

Mark

Tags
remote, wind, windlass