Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 13:47   #46

Re: Joining Chain #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I got one of those C-Link fittings. It didn't give me much confidence so I got a double clevis link to replace it (haven't done it yet). Since I have 350' of chain I figure the strength doesn't matter much as I probably wouldn't have it all out, but wanted something I felt was going to be together "if" and that hammer together C-Link just didn't do it for me. It probably wouldn't go though my windlass but I figure I can just lift it around if needed.
Just askin': have you checked the working load of this piece? I haven't, but IIRC it's less than that of the associated chain, meaning a weak link, as compared to a C link. I suggest you do so.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:39   #47
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Joining Chain #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Just askin': have you checked the working load of this piece? I haven't, but IIRC it's less than that of the associated chain, meaning a weak link, as compared to a C link. I suggest you do so.

It MAY be weaker than a C-Link. But it isn't the weakest link in the total rode system so it doesn't matter much to me. And it would need to be out 340 feet of rode to even get out of the locker. But if it does I have more faith in it holding the main chain to other than a C-Link.

Maybe I should just give up on the connectors and splice my rope rode to the chain!