Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 05:50   #31

Re: Is the Bahamian moor dead?

We haven't been to the Bahamas but we used it on the southern east coast frequently when anchoring in narrow channels or trying find a spot on the outside of a crowded anchorage.

It's not an every time tool but definetly a good tool to have available.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 06:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Why were you using a Bahamian moor on the Great Bahama Bank? An anchorage with infinite swinging room, no reversing current, and great holding. No need for a Bahamian moor there.
Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one, too.
Old 09-12-2013, 13:48   #33

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

A lot of it depends on the "gut feeling" you have.

We love Bahia Honda and always anchor on two anchors one SW and one NE as close to shore as we dare. We do not drag even in 30 knots and the hard tidal current. We have seen others give up on trying to get hooked up and go out in the deep water and "false" holding.

We also have to pick a system when in the Boot Key anchorage as the locals are on two or three hooks so that makes you need two hooks. But the Transients will be one one hook so of course you will need to be on one hook. Got hammered by a 50 knot plus 4 hour early front once there on just the manson, held perfect.

When in the Bahamas I used only one even when we had to anchor between Allens Cay and SW Allens Cay once in the dark, in the channel. Don't ask! With one exception... the anchorage in Bimini at BBGC that is too small to swing as there are often 5 boats wanting to fit. I couldn't pull the fortress up with the dinghy after a blow there. Had to get on the BBGC dock and pull like hell.

I think that with the modern motored dinghy and the size of boats going up on average that anchoring in a cut close to shore is no longer the norm but sitting back in the open, catching the wind generator is now the norm and you have room to swing.

W

Manson Supreme and Fortress
Old 28-04-2014, 19:57   #34

I use it in South Texas when anchored in any of the channels that have reversing currents. When the wind and current are in the same direction, more or less, not needed. The problem arises when the wind and current are from different directions. At any given time the boat can change it's position relative to the anchor depending on which is stronger, the wind or the current. Never mind when the tide changes. Years ago I was anchored in Lydia Anne channel one one anchor. We went ashore for about 2 hours. Upon returning to the boat we crested the dunes and when I looked at the boat, she was headed out. I thought someone was stealing the boat. We ran like mad to the dingy. Upon reaching the dingy I could see that no one was aboard. What the heck was going on. When we reached the boat I realized that the wind was laying down and the current was taking over. Then the wind would pick up and take over. I set another anchor Bahamian style. Now all we did was pivot in the wind vs current battle. When the current changed direction in the night we simply pivoted around to the other anchor. Only issue was that the slack, down current rode drummed against the hull.

I use it all the time when anchoring in shifting conditions, be it wind or current.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote