Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2018, 09:20   #31

Re: How long is your snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
There are a lot of variables to take into account before determining the ideal snubber/bridle for the vessel and possible conditions.

We are currently in higher latitudes where katabatic gusts [williwaws] can hit unexpectedly. Think zero to 60+ kts in 5 seconds. Therefore we always anchor as though a storm is anticipated. In practice this doesn't take much longer than setting a lunch hook.

To answer the OPs question, we use an 80 ft. 5/8 in. 3-strand nylon bridle on our 22 ton, 43 ft. ketch. I usually set it with maybe 25 to 30 ft. out, leaving some to spare if conditions warrant more bridle. Note we are often anchored in what others may consider deep water. [50-90 ft on average] so the chain catenary also contributes considerably to reducing shock loading on the ground tackle.

If storm conditions are anticipated, we will set a back-up snubber in case the bridle fails.

Our chain rode is always separately snubbed ahead of the windlass when at anchor- independent of bridle/snubber combinations.

Since we are often asked, we maintain a page about our approach to anchoring with a bridle if you desire more details and links to other resources on this topic.

Best wishes determining what is best for your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Good point, having a long snubber gives you options. I have had an anchor that was set over a week, jerked out of the bottom by a 71mph (that's as far as the anemometer can read) microburst. The anchor was well set. The wind went from 5 mph, to 15 mph to 71+ in less than 5 mins. After the turmoil, the anchor that pulled out was retrieved. The anchor did not fail, the bottom actually failed. What was retrieved was a ball of clay about 1.5 feet in diameter with an anchor shank protruding out of it! If I had a long snubber, it may have taken enough of the shock load that the bottom may have not failed. It had been peaceful all week so I had a real short snubber out, maybe 3 ft.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:26   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How long is your snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Sometimes someone might actually look at the weather forecast and know ahead of time that the wind will be honking at 0300.

It's that seamanship thing...

I have to say I really do not understand the downside to using a longer snubber (30 feet) right from the get go. What's the problem with it? Why do you think it is "good seamanship" to keep your snubber short until the wind picks up? And what do you consider "short" and "long"?
You've not anchored in Cadiz bay.. or various spots around the Med much.. strong wind/gale forecasts are sometimes 1hr or more after the event.. and even then the 20kts is usually 30kts or more.
As to what is short.. the hitch just touching water.. the long, up to the full length of my spring.
If you have 30ft of snubber out and need to let more chain out because of sudden strong winds what do you do.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:27   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I see little point in coming into an anchorage.. setting your hook, then setting a long snubber.
Wind comes up strong 0300hrs all I have to do is let out more chain and feed out as much more line as I need for the conditions and reset the chain stop..
Worked fine for me for decades regardless of the 'modern science'..
We just called it seamanship.
So you were messing about on the bow at 3 AM?

I find placing "modern science" in quotes ironic on a forum, on the internet.
Old 24-02-2018, 09:28   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I was reading an article about anchoring were the writer said that you should have a snubber of about 12 metres long so it, when being used, should reach to just above the bottom. What length of snubber do you use? Mine only goes to about just above water surface
Mine is 30’. Normally only around 5-8’ are out, but in a blow I’ve had it all out and it was a noticeable better more comfortable time below for it.
Old 24-02-2018, 09:30   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
... Just curious what you more experienced cruisers do in these situations. Anyone ever extend a snubber by tying more line on? What other options?
I typically fix the end of the snubber to the midships cleats. This keeps it off the bottom. If I need more scope, I ease 20 feet of rode and then move the snubber to the bow cleats. Easy.
Old 24-02-2018, 09:33   #36
Marine Service Provider

Everyone should have a long snubber. If your's is too short, well they have operations for that in Sweden.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Why not just accept that someone does things different than you and move on
If you sail far enough and long enough you will have lots of experience on the foredeck in the early morning hours doing a variety of things.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:37   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I typically fix the end of the snubber to the midships cleats. This keeps it off the bottom. If I need more scope, I ease 20 feet of rode and then move the snubber to the bow cleats. Easy.
That’s a good option, but unfortunately I don’t have suitable mid ship cleats (one of the baffling omissions on my boat). I have two stout bow cleats which I tie to. I suppose I could just get longer snubbers, but storage and simple handling then becomes more of an issue. Hmmm….
Old 24-02-2018, 09:47   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have a hook on my snubber which annoyingly usually drops off as the chain goes out, before the snubber line is in tension. I usually control the windlass from the cockpit so this is rather frustrating and means i have to keep going up to the bow to reset the snubber hook. OK, i could dump the hook and use a rolling hitch but there has to be a quicker solution than that. Do any of you guys have a suggested solution to this bearing in mind i am often solo so do not have someone up at the bow to keep the snubber line in tension to stop the hook dropping off?
Old 24-02-2018, 09:53   #40
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Just curious what you more experienced cruisers do in these situations. Anyone ever extend a snubber by tying more line on? What other options?
I'm in the process of changing the snubber set up. Snubber attaches to a cleat at the bow, runs down the side deck to a block at the cockpit then back to the bow where it terminates into some dyneema which goes over the bow roller attaching to the chain with a soft shackle. Probably about 15m long, the dyneema means zero chafe on the snubber plus the snubber doesn't get wet and slimy. More chain is simple, pull in a few feet, undo the shackle the let other a load more and reattach. I have some 10mm nylon and might make up some 12mm as well. Once the wind pipes up if the boat starts tacking around the dynamic forces on top of the wind forces can be massive.

Though must admit even living on the hook a snubber is rarely used, usually just dyneema from the samson post onto a chainhook to take the load off the windlass.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:58   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How long is your snubber

Quote:

So what would you do at 3am.. stay in bed.. or mess about midship's hanging on to the weight of your boat as you stumble to the bow cleat.
'Modern Science' as applied to a centuries old occupation.. anchoring..
aka chuck a lump with a line over the side and hope it holds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:18   #42

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

Snubbers can perform several functions- cushion surge loads, protect the rode from chafe, and to take the load off of the windlass. When the wind and seas are mild, the snubber can be fairly short. However as the wind picks up, it is our recommendation that for gale force winds, the snubber should be a minimum of 30 feet long, and for storm force winds, a minimum of 40 feet. Of equal importance is stretch. To effectively provide sufficient stretch, the snubber should be of 3-strand, 8-plait, or 12 braid nylon rope because these are about the only ropes that provide a minimum of 8% stretch at 15% loading, the minimum that we recommend. The snubber should also be of a diameter which has a tensile strength of at least 8x that of the maximum load. Following these recommendations, you will have a snubber that provides plenty of stretch and better chafe resistance as compared to a line that is shorter, smaller diameter, or of less tensile strength. It will also have a much longer service life.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:26   #43

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

My snubber is 30 ft long. I attach it to my bobstay chainplate which has an extra hole for a shackle. Since the attachment is at the water line, my effective scope is increased significantly as compared to having it cleared off at deck level. I use a separate, short line for a chain stopper to unload my winch
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:40   #44

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:

Just curious what you more experienced cruisers do in these situations. Anyone ever extend a snubber by tying more line on? What other options?
If the rode needs to be extended substantially in building conditions, my plan is to let go the snubber and tie on another one at the new, longer location.

I use my 50' foot dock lines as snubbers. Four of these are onboard. No worries about running out of snubbers!

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:52   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
If the rode needs to be extended substantially in building conditions, my plan is to let go the snubber and tie on another one at the new, longer location.

I use my 50' foot dock lines as snubbers. Four of these are onboard. No worries about running out of snubbers!
Thanks Steve. This has been my ‘Plan B’ thought as well. I worry about the potential fouling, and would expect retrieval to be a pita, but it seems to be the best alternative in those extreme circumstances.

I also like conachair’s setup and Thin’s ideas as well … lots to consider. Thanks