Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 05:43   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Free fall power winch

I'm considering a free fall Power Winch. We have done well (not piling a bunch of chain on the anchor) without a winch just letting it free fall.
I'm thinking a free fall winch should give us the same results. My concern with the power winch is that it does not have a relay. All power must go through the switch. This makes it tough to put the switch a the helm.

What do you all think about placing the switch forward at (or near) the winch?

Should I be considering another winch? (not a free fall)This one costs $600. Hard to beat if it will work for us.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 05:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Free fall power winch

You can add a solenoid to any simple 12v circuit.
Make the heavy wiring a short as possible. Switching the solenoid only requires a low current so you can lead thinner wires to a switch (or even better switches) positioned wherever you want.

You can even add a wireless remote, which is the modern replacement for a switch at the helm.

$600 sounds cheap for an anchor winch suitable for a 39 foot boat. Are you sure its large enough?

Free fall only is fine. This works well for dropping the anchor. The only time a power down feature is useful is when the chain pile collapses on top of the end attached to the anchor. If this happens when not much chain is out you end up dragging the anchor before the end pulls free.
At worst it means you occasionally have to retrieve and re drop the anchor.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 05:58   #3
tsl

I understand a solenoid. This free fall unit is a bit different. It needs full amperage pulling up but just a signal (i'm guessing) to release the free fall. I'm checking with Power Winch. I don't see anything on their web site.
Good point about two switches.
Old 30-04-2013, 06:07   #4
tsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
$600 sounds cheap for an anchor winch suitable for a 39 foot boat. Are you sure its large enough?
Well it says it's intended for a 41 ft boat but of course that does not say much since a 41 ft powerboat, catamaran, or mono hull sailboat are all very different as far as ground tackle.
The unit will pull 900 lbs. at 75 ft per minute. I'm interested in anyone's comments on that. The free fall horizontal capstan units (powerwinch , lewmar etc) have their share of bad press / problems but the power winch is sold outside the traditional marine retailers so the price is great.
I've just glassed in a platform in my anchor well. I can install just about any style windlass at this point as there is plenty of room. I can easily return the power winch.
Now is the time to set me straight.
Old 30-04-2013, 16:30   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We installed the Powerwinch on Beach House a few years back and have been using it for a couple of thousand miles and it works just fine. We have a switch at the lower helm and one on the flybridge, The Trawler Beach House: Installing An Electric Anchor Windlass . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch