Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 21:50   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Bridle Chafing on Bobstay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
My boat does not have an actual bobstay, as my headsail is not attached to the end of the pulpit. But I do have a rather long pulpit and it is supported by a 1" SS rod.

Could the wire bobstay be replaced by a SS rod or tube? I have 2 hauseholes for the bridle snubber and when sawing back and forth at anchor the bridle does rub against the SS tube with zero effect.
A solid rod bob stay will bend when you run into something and that ends up putting in a permanent bend. A wire stay gives and will not take a bend. You don't want a bent bob stay
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 22:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
A solid rod bob stay will bend when you run into something and that ends up putting in a permanent bend. A wire stay gives and will not take a bend. You don't want a bent bob stay
I just make it a habit to not run into things.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:10   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Easy fix for you...don't leave the dock
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

[quote]I'm just not into bridals. A single line snubber can be secured with a rolling hitch, you can easily rig multiples or switch them out in a jiffy, and you can distribute a lot of the movement forward by using a block.

I think the Larry Pardey and Brian Toss (both professional shiprites for decades and well respected for their knowledge) have identical ways of running snubbers from bowsprits. Personally I'm going to use that as my gold standard rather than just looking around at what other cruising boats are using.

There's talking to other sailors, then there's talking to multi circumnavigators who are professional shiprites.[unquote]

for those with force 50 and formosa 51 and 41s out here--the way i do mine is the way others in our genre have and do do this snubber thing--my shipwright did mine for me, and i have no problem whatsoever.
one CAN use rod rigging for a bobstay, yes. it wontmake any difference to the bobstay what you use, nor to the boat. i have seen 3/8 chain as a bobstay on seawolf 41...works great. burly.....
as for snubbing with only on eline--you get what you want out of it, great--i find more stability and less chafe with a bridle.

bridals are for weddings. the bridal suite is a place for honeymoons, not tying a boat to an anchor.

the Y shape of a bridle keeps the boat more stable than a single line--i experimented with this over the time i was moored in coronado...plenty of time to make mods in a mooring/anchor set up. i have use d bridles in moorings and anchoring for many years. this set up i now have is made by the shipwright who is my repair guy.
this has been proven by more than one soul to actually work without having to modify your boat.

if you want to sail like pardeys, remove your engine.
happy sails
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48   #50

Boat: Seafarer36c

Chain has been mentioned as a bob stay material. Talk about a weak link, it's like having a fuse in your standing rigging. You have all this wire rated at 10,000lbs or something then you put a piece chain rated at 4,000 lbs. To some it looks salty and cheap but why would you do this?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle