Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2007, 07:06   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Anchor Rode Bridle and Snubber

I have seen several posts throughout the site on using bridles and snubbers for anchoring. I have a heavy monohull.

I have a rode of 70 feet of HT chain and 200 feet of 3 strand top quality nylon rode. I have a 3 foot long bowsprit/platform with a roller about halfway along it through which the anchor stem passes to rest ontop of the platform and is secured from falling back by a pin on a plate. I have an electric windlass about 3 feet aft of the bow and I have a heavy stainless mooring bit about halfway between the windlass and the bow through bolted with a 1/4 inch aluminum backing plate which spans the entire fordeck underneath in the chainlocker. The bollts and hawse for the windlass goes through this plate as well as the outboard cleats. I installed the windlass, mooring bit and backing plate last year. There are raised bulwarks with a hawse on each side near the bow for mooring lines. The aforementioned cleats are near these.

Here is my question: there has been posts that advize to not use a bow roller to achor from as it can pull out or break or cause your bowsprit damage etc. so I want to use a bridle system led through the hawses on each side of the bow. For shallow mooring, I have a heavy snubber plate which drops over the chain and I can shackle a line to each side of it and lead them through the hawse to the mooring bit. Do these work - I would think it could turn and drop off the chain or is there some securing method fior the snubber plate to the chain that is quick and simple?

For deeper mooring, I will need to attach the bridle to the nylon rode and have seen suggestions on using a rolling hitch - what is the best procedure to do this?

Because of a large and wide bowsprit platform, it will be a little more difficult to get at the bridle and hardware involved secured to the rode in these methods . Does anyone have a good system?

I have a fair idea of how I would do it but there is alot of mooring experience in this forum and tried and true methods are best.

Thanks for the help, Randy

Tags
anchor, bridle, rode