Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Anchor: Did I go too big?

I have a Lagoon 440 and it had a Delta 55 on the bow. It has been blowing in the keys quite a bit lately and the Delta has drug a few times - even with a good amount of scope. We have BBB chain and a decent windlass - it is the original Italian windlass and looking through the boxes of manuals to see which model.

After dragging the second time I decided to upgrade to a new anchor. I read the threads here as well as the reviews on other sites. I landed on a Manson Boss. I contacted Manson to see which size. I said I was looking at their chart and we are right on the edge: 60lb is 45'-55' boat and to go up a size for a Cat. They said it would be a good idea to get the 80lb if we are doing some serious cruising - the plan is South Pacific and on.....

Anyway - here is where I am at. I installed the Boss and it fits nicely under the bow. The only problem that I see is if a big wave catches it. We were in 7'+ waves yesterday in the Gulfstream and I watched the anchor get buried in a few waves and it just dove through them and didn't create more "weight" when coming up through the wave.

When we set the anchor the first time off of Tavernier key it dug in to the shaft - was a beautiful thing. But when we were in a good blow off of Key West for the 4th of July (anchored overnight off of the White Street peir about .25 NM off) it either dug in super deep or got stuck on a rock because we couldn't just pull it up - I had to go over it and pull it up that way.

So my question to the community - is this anchor too big? Should I turn this in for the 60lb'er? The design seems to work nicely - and maybe the strain on the anchor at KW was because it was stuck on something.... and any anchor could have done that.

BTW... that little bolt came out that is in the slider during our trip - probably before we anchored at KW... so the slider was free.

Side story - My last boat was a CSY 44' and outside of Georgtown we put in the anchor - when I was pulling it up (manually) I would winch it in when we were in the trough of the wave... well it was caught on a rock - which we didn't know - and the huge winch and blocking that we had rose MANY inches - it flexed that fiberglass like I've never seen. I don't want to see that again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	63769   Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	63770  

solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Anchor: Did I go too big?

perhaps you need to redo your anchor mount so it isnt being caugh tin seas when sailing. if you canno tlift anchor it is too big. otherwise it is fine. you can sleep at night. stow it abaft the bow--more toward your mast in seas. affix it to your mast so it doesnt slide around and cause troubles. is your boat--your choice--smaller anchor and no sleep or large anchor and figger out and modfy the layout for it.
i had to re arrange the stowage of my secondary anchor as i couldnt safely sail with 2 anchors and 400 ft chain on bow...i can sail safely with the secondary split into 2 bits--anchor secured to either mast and the chain under my grate in cockpit sole, unitl such time as i can make a suitable modfication in my boat for that extra, it will sit where it is
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The new generation anchors do take much longer to break out. They feel like they are jammed under a rock with a normal set.

A bit, or sometimes a fair bit, of patience is all that is required. Once the anchor is cleated off at 1:1 scope just wait and it will gradually break free. If there is no wind/wave force you need to use some engine force, but adequate time is what is most needed.

It takes some getting used too.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Someone said around here once you know your anchor is too big when people at the marina laughs and gossip about it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59   #5

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I dont believe it will ever be considered fair to complain that an anchor has set well

As Noelex indicated, simply bring as much chain in as you can..so that the chain is vertical and under tension.. then the simple action of the boat bobbing will gradually pull the anchor clear... as the chain gets slack, haul it in.. in inches at a time if necessary...
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21   #6

80 is too big really. Your 440 has more windage than my TPI 42 had, but a 45# delta had no problem hold in a steady 32-35 knots in the Tobago keys. I snorkeled the anchor a couple times in those conditions. It was buried so deep you couldnt see it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23   #7

I Drive up over my anchor to pull it out as a matter of course , why strain the windless when it's not necessary
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Yes, the anchor is ridiculously big. However, you can learn to use the engines to help retrieve it, a technique often required with new-generation anchors.

Snug it up to 1:1 scope, cleat it off, and then power forward to break it free.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The 80lb anchor is perfect for your Lagoon 440. Most of the new generation anchors have to be driven over to un-set them.
My bows get tugged down into the water if I do not drive over the anchor.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33   #10

Boat: 55' Romsdal

It's the size I would have selected. As already mentioned, retrieval of these anchors is very different from what you're used to. My 176# Bruce would come up with me just using the windlass. The 176# Ultra requires that I hover over the anchor, tension it, then wait, then tension it and repeat until it breaks free.

One issue with the Boss is that regardless of weight, it is physically quite large, but it looks fine to me on your bow.

One thing you might look into is adding an additional roller the makes contact with the top of the shank. This way you can pinch the anchor between the two rollers and make it quite rigid, so a bit of plowing into waves isn't going to hurt anything. I did that with my Ultra and am quite happy with the arrangement. The top roller should be high density rubber....
Old 08-07-2013, 14:23   #11

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
You made the right choice with your anchor. For the past six years I have been sailing a Lagoon 440 as a charter captain. When a squall goes through in the middle of the night you will thank yourself for buying a large anchor.
As a normal procedure for retrieving the anchor we pick the slack on the chain and engage both engines the windlass will bring the chain at the same pace as the boat moves, when above the anchor if the windlass strains stop it briefly, the boat's motion forward will flip the anchor free.
No worries about the anchor catching water under way, just secure it snug and sail away.
Old 08-07-2013, 15:03   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

sounds to me that the anchor is too small otherwise you would have had to sit over it at least 30 seconds to allow the wave action rocking the boat to have pulled it free

I have a 60# Supreme on my 43' mono, boy did that baby bring up some nasty looking mud the other day after setting in 30 knot winds.

this is just the way of new generation anchors.
Old 08-07-2013, 15:18   #13
cruiser

Rather than power over it, which is OK to do, I prefer to power up to the anchor, with a 1:1 scope wait a several seconds and let the first couple of waves lift the anchor out of the bottom, then bring it up with the winch. I know with a cat it really isn't a concern, but on a monohull (half boat), it prevents the chain from chafing the side of the boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:22   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

I have a 60# Supreme on my 43' mono, boy did that baby bring up some nasty looking mud the other day.
Why were you anchored off Deer Island
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:30   #15

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Your anchor is not too big. You now need a bigger boat.

Tags
anchor