Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 06:53   #31

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is an option indeed. At times there may be various limitations to use it.
Man, this anchor float / no anchor float is an argument thats been around a looooong time. I simply bought a Manson Supreme. It has a slotted shank...here, I'll let one picture tell the story:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SupremeFeatures.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	12292  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 06:59   #32

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is an option indeed. At times there may be various limitations to use it.

I stopped using the quickline after I had people in dinghies run over the float and get entangled, esp. at night. I do not one one of them to think it is a crab pot marker and lift my hook of the bottom on an iffy night.
Good point, it will be a detachable hook for the quickline so I may elect not to attach it if I know the area.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 07:29   #33

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Seems to me that after spending a lot of money on a boat, to go light or inexpensive on anchor and ground tackle is a fools proposition.
Go as heavy on the primary anchor as you can carry. I currently have 2 foreward, and will be switching to one heavy anchor when I start really needing the security. At this time that will be a manson supreme, but the rockna is up there on the list as well. If I were to go with a 2nd anchor up front, the manson Ray would be my choice, or a bruce.
For a stern anchor, the fortress, set up for storm conditions.
In the bilge, a Paul luke. Don't think I would ever use it, but it is a small price to pay if off patagonia and I need it.

As far as galvanized vs stainless. The stainless anchors are so gosh darn pretty sitting up there, that I think, I would work some OT just to put it up there. Add some stainless chain just for the bling.....
Old 31-12-2009, 08:15   #34

Boat: '71 Morgan 41-OI
I cruised on a 41' Morgan OI for eight years between NC and the bahamas. We used as our primary anchor a 60lb CQR with 3/8" BBB chain. In all eight years of cruising, when I set the anchor by backing down on it, I NEVER drug.
Watermelon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 09:35   #35

question?? I have a 34' trawler weighs 19000# + Have a large danford , on the way down the icw I did drag a couple of times what size plow anchor do I need.? Cost is a concern so what anchors do I want to stay away from? by the way I am the windless so no giant anchors but big enough to do the job
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 11:22   #36

Boat: '71 Morgan 41-OI
There are so many types of anchors and just as many opinions to go alongside.

However, if I were buying an anchor for your 34' and 19K lb trawler, I'd buy a 44 lb delta. I'd also want at least 100' of chain. The chain is not only for it's catenary effect but also for abrasion resistance.

This is a bit to pull up by hand depending on your physical condition, however, I'd be thinking about a windlass if you're thinking of doing some extensive cruising. I used a Lofrans Tigres, and have nothing but positive things to say about it.
Watermelon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 11:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon123 View Post
... However, if I were buying an anchor for your 34' and 19K lb trawler, I'd buy a 44 lb delta. I'd also want at least 100' of chain ...
A hundred feet of 3/8" chain (2650# WLL, recommended for the 44# Delta) might be a lot to hand manually (133 Lbs/cft), so I might consider 5/16" with 3900# WLL (109 Lbs/cft), or even 1/4" High-Test “G-40" with 2600# WLL (64 Lbs/cft).
A 35 Ft boat might be happy with gear (rode & deck hdwr) sized at about 1,800 Lbs WLL (storm), so the anchor is oversized, as I recommend. The 35# Delta might also suffice.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor