Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 18:27   #1

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Adding a slip on a dock

My family owns a dock on our property and we're going to add a slip for my 30' morgan.

What things should I consider when designing the slip?

I've never owned a boat of this size and I'd hate to think "gosh I wish I thought to add _____ when I added the slip. I've attached a picture of the dock and a crudely photoshopped idea of what we're thinking. I'm missing steps coming from the corner point down to the new addition, but hopefully this makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 8.25.35 PM.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	111768  
allanbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 18:47   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Adding a slip on a dock

Make sure you own the bottom land and no permitting, or architect, etc. will be required. If you get flood tides or hurricane surges than can range 10-15' over normal high tide, you may also want very tall pilings. If you want a dry lift...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 18:53   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

How are the wave there when the wind pipes up?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:10   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

The pilings must be very secure, i.e. driven in enough - which very much depends on the type of bottom. Deep soft mud will not work but it will be easier to drive them in. You may need to consult someone who does this type of work. Many places have very strict regulations for docks with big fines if you don't follow them. And, as noted above, take in to account the anticipated max and min tides, potential waves, and winds. And, also as noted by another poster, you may need an OK from the state to even do anything over or in the water past the mean high water line. The existing dock may be grandfathered in (or not). But that very much depends on the state/country. Don't try this in WA state for sure. There are also rules on what type of material the pilings can be, etc., e.g. creosote is now banned. Hope you get it figured out.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
How are the wave there when the wind pipes up?
It's a fairly calm bay, we had the remnants of a hurricane last week with 36mph winds, gusts of 42mph and waves were 2-3 feet.
Old 29-10-2015, 11:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Make sure you own the bottom land and no permitting, or architect, etc. will be required. If you get flood tides or hurricane surges than can range 10-15' over normal high tide, you may also want very tall pilings. If you want a dry lift...
My parents have lived there for 40 years, we've seen a lot. The main portion of the dock was designed and professionally built. A few summers ago my buddy and I built his dock ourselves.

I guess I really mean, "are there any dock features that might be helpful for a sailboat slip?"

I know all the code requirements.
Old 29-10-2015, 14:15   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Short answer. No. Its a dock as long as it has cleats that are installed correctly your good. and the piling s are in correctly. Installed there should not be a problem. I would recommend getting a professional to instal the pilings. Where I am in CT my dock has 30 ft pilings with 15 ft in the substrate and 15 ft high. We have 6 to 9 ft tides and hurricane Sandy didn't go above the 15 ft height of the piling s. The height is important and you want to prepare for the worst.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock