Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2015, 11:21   #16

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Re: 26 foot bow anchor not too heavy...

Oh, and you only need 1/4" chain
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 11:51   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrion View Post
New Generation of Smart Boat Anchors... read this ... Awesome Anchors - Home of the Worlds Best Boat Anchors !
Hi and welcome to CF. What is your personal experience with these anchors that makes you recommend them?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 12:59   #18

Boat: Marieholm Bruck M26

I must use a easy anchor!! Like spade.. With bow roller to much big for my boat and difficult to storage...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Regatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 16:32   #19

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

While on the subject recommend" A Star to Guide Me By" Australian Ann Gash sailed an engineless timber Folk Boat from Australia to England to learn to play the flute, and back.
chiefcoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 17:21   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Folkboats are very fine on the bows, an adequate anchor and chain stored right forward will be two much wt. On mine I mounted the haws pipe yust foward of the cabin top and droped the chain into the space just in front of the bulkhead. The anchor stowed in chocks on the cabin top. You can make a decent bow roller using the roller made for motor boat trailers. I used a 35lb CQR and 50m of 8mm chain. You could go to 25lb on the anchor although may have more problems getting it to bight but I would not go less on chain. It is the chain not the anchor that stops you dragging.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 18:13   #21

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

I have a 1971 Cal 39 (purchased in 1978)and for years I used a 23# Danforth on an all chain rode. I was (and am again) located in the Antioch-Pittsburg area on the Sacramento-San Juaquin River. Until My wife and I left to cruise Mexico (mainly the Sea of Cortez for 4 years, but intending on an unending cruise) that anchor held in 6 knot currents and 40 knot winds. It never tangled even when numerous tidal current reversals. I was often chided by other skippers with CQRs. But as Hershoff said "Man has spent centuries developing a plow to go through the soil and now some idiots are suggesting using it to hold a boat still." (wording as best as I can remember). I've also pictures of CQRs coming up tangled. It's in the setting of the anchor that tangles happen usually. But pound for pound a Danforth holds MUCH better than a CQR. Many ov the "new" breed of anchor hold even better, set quicker, etc. But the 23# Danforth held me fine. When I purchased the boat it also had a 45# Danforth as a storm ancyhor. The only time I've ever use it was for kedging of a sandbar. When we started cruising I bought a 30# +/=Delta because of the easier stowability on the bow. It has held great also - even in 40+ knot winds for more than 8 hours when set in heavy kelp, actually in the kelp about 20 feet above the sea bottom and not in the ground. (A serrated bread knife works wonders in removing kelp from the anchor rode or anchor. Much better than a very sharp knife or machete). I am still using the Delta.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 19:51   #22

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
It is the chain not the anchor that stops you dragging.
Roland - That's not quite true. The anchor will stop the dragging IF the pull is horizontal or nearly so. (Horizontal is the direction of a dragging anchor.) But when one uses a 5:1 scope the pull on the anchor with an all rope rode would be about 11° above horizontal. In other words, the boat would be pulling the anchor up - out of the ground, as well as horizontal
The purpose of the chain is to change the angle of pull, to make it closer to horizontal, so that the anchor will hold.
If it were true that the chain would stop the dragging one would not need an anchor.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 22:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Folkboats are very fine on the bows, an adequate anchor and chain stored right forward will be two much wt. On mine I mounted the haws pipe yust foward of the cabin top and droped the chain into the space just in front of the bulkhead. The anchor stowed in chocks on the cabin top. You can make a decent bow roller using the roller made for motor boat trailers. I used a 35lb CQR and 50m of 8mm chain. You could go to 25lb on the anchor although may have more problems getting it to bight but I would not go less on chain. It is the chain not the anchor that stops you dragging.

Thanks for reply! Any chance to get photos of your setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-07-2015, 02:49   #24

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
That looks a congested/tight for space bow area. Whereabouts, indeed is there a chain locker at the bow and how's the chain pass through to it - open locker/hawse pipe?

I'm assuming that you're not going to fit a windlass? We sailed a 27' folkboat derivative (Albin Vega) for six years around the Med and hand-hauled the anchor without problem. Don't go too light with your ground tackle though - anchors are like dairy cows, a good big-un, will always beat a good little-un - or you'll have a lot of sleepless nights; we used a 32lb/15kg CQR with 50m of 8mm chain and provided that we took the time to set/dig-in the anchor properly to begin with, it performed well.
Bob – very useful information, thanks. I see you've moved on to a bigger boat but any chance you've still got some photos of your Vega anchor set up? Hubby and I have just bought a sweet little Vega (no. 2732) and sailed her home to Copenhagen from Gothenburg.

She's a perfect wee boat except for her Scandi-type mooring system: small stern anchor mounted on a roll of webbing, designed for bows-to mooring with warps tied to a rock.

It works fine for creek-hopping around here but I wouldn't want to go further afield without something much sturdier. On the bow and preferably with an electric windlass (born lazy ).

But would it fit on the Vega's diminutive foredeck? Even without the windlass (as you did heroically) where would I stow the chain? There's no hatch or hole or anything to access the v-berth stowage triangle thingy.

Would really appreciate any advice (have already decided to go with you 15kg CQR, 50mx8mm chain). Best, Clare
ClareMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 06:38   #25

Hello!
check it here!! This guy from denmark made in a alvin ballard 30 a chain lockeryou can always ask him! click to this you tube channel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareMac View Post
Bob – very useful information, thanks. I see you've moved on to a bigger boat but any chance you've still got some photos of your Vega anchor set up? Hubby and I have just bought a sweet little Vega (no. 2732) and sailed her home to Copenhagen from Gothenburg.

She's a perfect wee boat except for her Scandi-type mooring system: small stern anchor mounted on a roll of webbing, designed for bows-to mooring with warps tied to a rock.

It works fine for creek-hopping around here but I wouldn't want to go further afield without something much sturdier. On the bow and preferably with an electric windlass (born lazy ).

But would it fit on the Vega's diminutive foredeck? Even without the windlass (as you did heroically) where would I stow the chain? There's no hatch or hole or anything to access the v-berth stowage triangle thingy.

Would really appreciate any advice (have already decided to go with you 15kg CQR, 50mx8mm chain). Best, Clare
Old 25-07-2015, 06:50   #26

Fabulous! The blog I've dreamt of discovering!!!! And as it's raining in Copenhagen right now and I'm not sailing (gale forecast) I'm going to spend the next several hours watching his 100 videos. BIG thanks for your help and hope you're having fun in the Med
Old 25-07-2015, 06:56   #27

Perfect!!!
Here too hot also for sailing!! Chain locker will be my september work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareMac View Post
Fabulous! The blog I've dreamt of discovering!!!! And as it's raining in Copenhagen right now and I'm not sailing (gale forecast) I'm going to spend the next several hours watching his 100 videos. BIG thanks for your help and hope you're having fun in the Med
Old 25-07-2015, 07:21   #28

Lucky you with sunshine Hope you post pics when the locker is done. I'll muster the courage (and the cash) and follow suit next May. Fair winds!

Tags
anchor