Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2014, 08:36   #1
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Tough to find a decent used outboard

I have been looking around and think I might have to buy new. I am looking for an 8-15 hp short shaft. This is what I have seen in my few week search:

15 year old bigger 2 stroke outboards with huge corrosion issues for $2k

a "great running" 13 year old Nissan that wont stay running for $800

Multiple 2000-2002 2 hp Honda's that are priced a hundred more than I paid for a one new in 2003.

LOL. Maybe it is just here in Florida.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 08:56   #2

Re: Tough to find a decent used outboard

Boy it must be florida. Used 9.9 Evinrudes etc are about 500-600 here. 15 Hp are more rare but usually a couple around. Recent Suzukis etc are around also 15 hp for $1200-1500 if memory serves. Maybe there just isnt much for sale this time of year and people will put them up for sale in the spring...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:12   #3
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Boy it must be florida. Used 9.9 Evinrudes etc are about 500-600 here. 15 Hp are more rare but usually a couple around. Recent Suzukis etc are around also 15 hp for $1200-1500 if memory serves. Maybe there just isnt much for sale this time of year and people will put them up for sale in the spring...?
Yeah, I hope you are right. I am seeing 2010-2012 Tohatsu 8hp outboards within $100 of a new one. I could see a $300-$400 difference. Oh well. I'll keep my eyes open. New is looking pretty good.
Old 17-02-2014, 10:05   #4

well, not as many as I would have thought, check on local CL shows:
Feb 16 )))Evinrude 15 hp outboard motor((( $640
$1450 Feb 16 HONDA LONG SHAFT OUTBOARD MOTOR $1450
$750 Feb 15 Evinrude 15 HP Outboard Motor short shaft $750
$895 Feb 15 Honda 9.9 Outboard Motor $895
$425 Feb 14 5.5 hrs power evinrude outboard motor $425
$550 Feb 14 15 HP Evinrude Outboard Motor $550
$525 Feb 12 honda outboard boat motor 7.5HP $525
$650 Feb 11 7.5 HP Mercury outboard motor/kicker $650
15 H.P. Mercury Outboard Motor 2 Stroke Long Leg Excellent Condition $1200

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 10:18   #5

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
I have been looking around and think I might have to buy new. I am looking for an 8-15 hp short shaft. This is what I have seen in my few week search:

15 year old bigger 2 stroke outboards with huge corrosion issues for $2k

a "great running" 13 year old Nissan that wont stay running for $800

Multiple 2000-2002 2 hp Honda's that are priced a hundred more than I paid for a one new in 2003.

LOL. Maybe it is just here in Florida.
Minmar Marina in Sea Isle City, NJ was selling Pier 88 boat rental motors every winter.

2 years ago I purchased a one season (8month) old Yamaha 4 stroke for $1000. A few scratches on the housing, serviced for the sale.

It still works perfectly, starts second pull and runs well...haven't done a thing to it yet..though I can say it has less than 100 hrs that I have put on it.

When I bought mine...they had probably 20 for sale...the marina I purchased form said they can only use them for one season as mandated by their insurance company.

Check around...there'sgotta be some deals close to you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 13:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Problem is most two strokes are too old now, and the last year or two the four strokes have lost so much weight that they are way more attractive. So may as well buy new, take good care of it and you have a motor for the next 20 yrs, or until it's stolen anyway
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 13:42   #7
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Minmar Marina in Sea Isle City, NJ was selling Pier 88 boat rental motors every winter.

2 years ago I purchased a one season (8month) old Yamaha 4 stroke for $1000. A few scratches on the housing, serviced for the sale.

It still works perfectly, starts second pull and runs well...haven't done a thing to it yet..though I can say it has less than 100 hrs that I have put on it.

When I bought mine...they had probably 20 for sale...the marina I purchased form said they can only use them for one season as mandated by their insurance company.

Check around...there'sgotta be some deals close to you.
Thanks for the tip. I will keep my eyes open.
Old 17-02-2014, 13:49   #8

Boat: Heritage 35

I've got a 1964/66? Chrysler 9.9 that really does run well! needs a pull cord and looks like hell that no one would steal because the crooks are younger than the motor! If interested let me know $200.00 Cdn. Might even be getting cheaper by the day depending on the exchange rate.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 13:54   #9
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Problem is most two strokes are too old now, and the last year or two the four strokes have lost so much weight that they are way more attractive. So may as well buy new, take good care of it and you have a motor for the next 20 yrs, or until it's stolen anyway
I think you are right. I was surprised when I saw a 9.8 Tohatsu at 83lbs. Not bad at all.

On another note I wonder how much HP we need. The dinghy is big at 13.5 feet long. It is not a RIB, but it does have a solid wood keel, so it is pretty heavy. I was thinking 8hp minimum. Looking to plane with 2 people. Maybe better off with 10-15hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2526.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	76349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	76350  

Old 09-03-2014, 21:42   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I agree with you. My search showed me 20 year old motors for half new. No thanks. I think spring will be worse as more people are in the market getting ready for summer.

Well, people are snatching them up the boat I just bought has a new yam 9.9. The owner said half his calls were begging to buy just the motor.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 22:12   #11

Boat: P30

agree. my searches for a small outboard i've pulled up the same. can't bring myself to spend the money for such a limited use (in my case) and another piece of gear to maintain. A few years ago i purchased a minn kota electric for $40 off of Craigslist and that served me well until it self destructed from salt corrosion Now i just row to my mooring or ashore....
Old 09-03-2014, 22:45   #12

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We got a Nissan 9.9 2 stroke with 1 hour on it for $700.00. I looked for 5 months.
Old 28-03-2014, 05:47   #13

Boat: 40 FT STEEL CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
Thanks for the tip. I will keep my eyes open.
Be VERY careful with buying certain brands, because of issues such as:
1)Quality of design and construction - some o/b's are high copper content alloy..supposedly to make recycling easier..BUT... their anodes and legs dissolve like aspirin in salt water.
2)Dealer backup - some brands hand out dealerships far too easily and you get very inferior service and expensive spares...if available!
3) " Lighter Weight", often means lots of fragile plastic bits, like shift levers.... can you repair it offshore? Are spares reasonably priced AND in stock on the island you're heading for?
4) Reliability: Will your family or crew be safe in the dink? Will the motor run flawlessly, what is going to break, when the kids use the motor?
5) Resale value!!! A brand may be $350 cheaper than the premium brand...but can you sell the o/b for the best price, or are you stuck with your lump of revolving scrap alu??
Forget the cheaper outboards and buy quality! I have gone back to Yamaha, because I have owned 8 over the past 30 years, from 5hp to 70hp, in the commercial salvage & diving business. I bought my yacht with a black coloured well- known outboard brand o/b and its managed 1.5 years as the tender's o/b, before falling apart from corrosion!
yacht.libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 06:10   #14
cruiser

I would hold out for a good 2 stroke, and or have someone grab you one it the Bahamas. Call the yamaha dealer in green turtle. I think a major hassle is well worth it too not end up with a 4 stroke. Also you won't find any good ones in Florida, with the salt water and full year season everything is beat. Think fresh water lakes or up north. I bought a 3.5 hp 4 stroke merc and it is my biggest boating blunder to date. If you want used 2 stroke look for 97-00 yamaha or Johnson 15 hp that are lightly used. A 15 year old 2 stroke is better than a salty newer 4 stroke.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 06:30   #15

Boat: 40 FT STEEL CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I would hold out for a good 2 stroke, and or have someone grab you one it the Bahamas. Call the yamaha dealer in green turtle. I think a major hassle is well worth it too not end up with a 4 stroke. Also you won't find any good ones in Florida, with the salt water and full year season everything is beat. Think fresh water lakes or up north. I bought a 3.5 hp 4 stroke merc and it is my biggest boating blunder to date. If you want used 2 stroke look for 97-00 yamaha or Johnson 15 hp that are lightly used. A 15 year old 2 stroke is better than a salty newer 4 stroke.
Thanks for the info. Enough of cheap 5 hp Mercury rubbish, for me, too. NEVER AGAIN WILL I TOUCH A MERCURY( Not even as an anchor, because it may dissolve before the bait has been cut)! I coughed up $340 extra and placed an order for a Yamaha 15 Enduro 2 stroke in Antigua, yesterday and am waiting for delivery It may be heavier than a 9.8 Tohatsu (my second choice, but roughly put together and few dealers around). Sorry Mercury, but I can't afford to sponsor corporations who should have closed down years ago.
yacht.libertad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard