Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 03:41   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Tenders What do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
Very interesting, whats the complete (incl. oars) weight of the boat in the end? I always wondered why there are not more carbon fiber dinghys. Compared to what a standard hypalon RIB costs the price increase of using carbon fiber instead of glass fiber is totally acceptable.
Hard and inflatable dinghies aren't all that much substitutes for each other. Hard dinghies row vastly better and wear better. But small hard dinghies of a size possible to stow on a cruising boat (10 - 11 feet or so or less) are no good for use in surf or other situations where swamping is a risk. They are not as stable, can't carry as much, and you need to worry about scratching your topsides with them. You can't deflate them for storage.

If I had unlimited room (ha), I would have one of each. I would want a hard dinghy which is long enough to be reasonably stable, with a fairly fine hull for speed under oars. Maybe 15 feet. Maybe with some kind of sailing rig. And then a RIB for more everyday duties.

I used a hard dinghy for years as a harbor tender, when I had a river mooring. It was great not to worry about a motor, and it was delightful to row, but I was always afraid of tipping it over or getting swamped.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 05:38   #17

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

If I had unlimited room (ha), I would have one of each. I would want a hard dinghy which is long enough to be reasonably stable, with a fairly fine hull for speed under oars. Maybe 15 feet. Maybe with some kind of sailing rig. And then a RIB for more everyday duties.
Actually that's exactly what we decided on, even with our 38'er. In addition to the Spindrift 10N, we have a 8' Zodiac with a slat floor. Deflated in the bag it fits well in to what used to be a pilot berth of sorts, above and behind the starboard setee.

Wanted to get an inflatable for exactly the reasons you mention. In really choppy conditions, or if we need to carry more people, we inflate the soft dink. Also makes a good '2nd car.'
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 06:55   #18

Boat: B24

We've had this dink for a dozen or so years and although the inflatable's I've had in the past seem more steady under-foot, I still like the looks and its ability to row easily... I've thought seriously about making it into a nesting dink to store on the cabin-top of our ODay, somehow cutting it in half and making it fit without screwing it up, but have been reluctant since I don't know the parameters for achieving it -- and I don't want to mess up the lines...

Any advice on how nesting dinks are engineered?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	404.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	160820   Click image for larger version

Name:	545.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	160821  

Name:	Dinghy1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	160822  
Old 21-12-2017, 08:19   #19

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hard and inflatable dinghies aren't all that much substitutes for each other. Hard dinghies row vastly better and wear better. ......They are not as stable, can't carry as much, and you need to worry about scratching your topsides with them. You can't deflate them for storage...... I was always afraid of tipping it over or getting swamped.
+1

I went to the Bahamas with a hard dink, A PT11 which I love dearly. But it is hard to get off the foredeck (in fairness, it was the Spear, not the nesting version), and I was always worried about damaging it or the mothership while hoisting it on the halyards, and I had the same concerns listed by Dockhead. I now have a slat-bottomed Zodiac I got on sale. But I love my PT11 and I continue to row it and sail it, just not as a tender. It is a beautiful little boat.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 08:44   #20

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have had excellent experiences with Avon (pre-takeover) and Achilles.

If I were to do it again, and had the room and the money, I would select this from AB. After looking at all the offerings at the Annapolis Sailboat Show, this seemed the best for me. Aluminum rib inflatable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10' AB Lamna7.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	160824  
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 08:49   #21

That's a beautiful dinghy you made.

We always take hard dinghies on our cruises. It saves the worry of someone leaving their outboard up or a nail you didn't see at the dinghy dock. And, they last forever.

Plus, you can row a hard shell dinghy and actually go somewhere.
Old 21-12-2017, 08:54   #22

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Yay Portabotes!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 09:05   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

The reason I like my portabote is because of the way it stores out of the way without need for davits. It rows like a hard tender, is light enough to lift by hand, is very tough, can take a large load, and moves well with just a small engine (3.5 hp).

People are often put off by the way they feel on the water, and that you can’t stand on the gunwales. But they are very stable. And with the lateen rig, they are fun to sail as well.

Like most cruising solutions, they are a compromise. They’re not for everyone. But for me and mine, it has been a great choice of dink.
Old 21-12-2017, 09:37   #24

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The reason I like my portabote is because of the way it stores out of the way without need for davits. It rows like a hard tender, is light enough to lift by hand, is very tough, can take a large load, and moves well with just a small engine (3.5 hp).

People are often put off by the way they feel on the water, and that you can’t stand on the gunwales. But they are very stable. And with the lateen rig, they are fun to sail as well.

Like most cruising solutions, they are a compromise. They’re not for everyone. But for me and mine, it has been a great choice of dink.
What's the max HP it will take?
Old 21-12-2017, 09:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
What's the max HP it will take?
There’s a transom weight limit, not so much a hp limit. For my older 10’ bote the weight limit is 56#. I run a 3.5 hp 4-stroke. I could go bigger, especially if I went with a 2-stroke, but so far this has been more than adequate for my cruising needs.

This 3.5 hp easily planes the bote with one person in it, and will plane with two people in calm conditions. But I could see going to a 5 or 6 hp (2-stroke) in the future.
Old 21-12-2017, 09:56   #26

Boat: Tartan 37

I like single floor RIBs about 3m. Light, stable, large carry capacity, can dive out of, very safe, can be motored or rowed, handle up to four adults, fast with motor and fun to gunk hole with. Now if I can get a sailing one that's nesting.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:27   #27

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There’s a transom weight limit, not so much a hp limit. For my older 10’ bote the weight limit is 56#. I run a 3.5 hp 4-stroke. I could go bigger, especially if I went with a 2-stroke, but so far this has been more than adequate for my cruising needs.

This 3.5 hp easily planes the bote with one person in it, and will plane with two people in calm conditions. But I could see going to a 5 or 6 hp (2-stroke) in the future.
Got a hint on how much they cost?
The internet is not cooperating with me today.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Got a hint on how much they cost?
The internet is not cooperating with me today.
It’s been over a decade since I bought mine, but I think I paid around $2k for the whole package, and that included the sail rig. I bought it at a boat show, so got the “boat show rate.”

I see the US website is kinda cagey about giving out prices, but the Canadian site is listing the 10-footer at about $3k CND, which puts it around $2,300 USD.

The new version includes a folding transom. I’d love to see that in action. I have the previous model where you have to insert the transom.
Old 21-12-2017, 11:30   #29

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

I looked long and hard at this new to our market RIB at the Annapolis Boat Show. Its a foldable RIB designed and built by a Russian company and now being imported into the US. Its original purpose was to be bagged and thrown out of aircraft for rescues.
I like it because it will stow well and the bag protects it form the sun. I worried that it would buck at the seams but they had video of it going over big waves with now bucking or leaking.

F-RIB | Revolutionary new Foldable RIBs (F-RIBs)
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 12:07   #30

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Portabote's phone number is 800-227-8882. They are the largest Suzuki seller of outboards in the USA also.

Once i finish my restoration on the 28ft Sharpie i will go with the Portabote. Look at the videos on the Portebote site. They are incredible, practically indestructable, and price is reasonable.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender