Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 12:19   #61

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Tenders What do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
It looks like a big tender. What is the OAL and beam?

Thanks to my skills, if I were to attempt to build one, I am pretty sure I would get one of the hulls backwards or upside down.
It is 3.35m x 1.64m, 55 to 60kg weight depending on build method. Displacement with full load and 2 crew is 300kg.

It is intended as a tender for extended bluewater cruising & self sufficient without fuel ( other than sunshine )

There are several ways to build it> panels on male stations, or infused in a female mould of MDF with envelop bag technique. Plans have full size templates of all parts. If you can trace lines and use a jigsaw, you can build this. Plans will be available after proto-typing and testing phase is completed in next few months.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 16:21   #62

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
That's terrific. But all we have is an old Puffin 8 1/2. Much to our surprise the company is back in business. Our Puffin would be of no interest to anyone wanting to jet around the anchorage at 30 mph but for us it's been a great little unit.

Attachment 160922
That's a sweetheart! A dinghy that rows well is a real joy and if it sails well that's even better. We've got a Bauer 10 & it's been a really great dinghy for us.

Bauer boats 10 sailing dinghy - BAUTECK MARINE INC.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:25   #63

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Lived out at Howard Springs for 7 years and as you say tinny's everywhere,
also spent a lot of years pearling in the Kimberley's (lived on Cockatoo Is for a couple of years to) and very rare to see anything other than tinny's getting around for the reasons you mention and more....i was thinking about the collar to protect the sides of the big boat but will probably just stick with the fenders which we use at present...
We lived all over but most of the time at Bees Creek, not far from you. We were there late 70s up to mid 80s.

I just noticed yesterday that the hire boats here (Moreton Island) are tinnies with boat collars on. I'm going to have a look today. If you don't hear back from me today, I probably got arrested for jumping all over their boats.
Old 28-12-2017, 21:46   #64

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

From post above ^^^

Kaptan Boat Collars

Ok, didn't get arrested.......

They are pretty impressive, these ones are a bit torn up from tieing up to the wrecks but not too bad. They have a Bimbi top and I hung off the back corner holding the Bimbi and leaned back. I could not get the back to take on water. Inside the boat I could lean out as far as I liked with no issue. Moving side to side the tinny rocked maybe 20°.

Still a bit worried the tinny might hit my boat but I might just run a bit of protection around the top.

Stability wise I'd say it's 85% of the rib.
Old 29-12-2017, 00:33   #65

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Highfields are very popular now. They make both PVC and Hypolon so make sure you get the hypolon one. I've had Achilles, Brig and AB RIBs, (all hypolon). All a bit bigger than ten feet. Now I've got the 10'03" aluminum Highfield. Only two seasons so far but very pleased. Nice little touches like good lifting rings, bow locker and good seat. The seat on my AB broke the first time I came off a small wave. It only had one lifting ring in the bow, had to install another two. The Brig's transom was only solid down to the outboard clamps. I found this out when drilling to install low lifting rings. I had to use aluminum spacers. It was a very wet dink.My Achilles might still be floating but it'd be in Greenland by now. I used to tow the dink in those days and had to cut it free in a blow.

Sounds like we have been down the same path - I’ve had A Zodiac, Achilles, Aquaquip (lasted 10 years and two world circumnavigation under two skippers) and most recently I have ordered a Highfield (Hypalon) 340 which will hang on the stern of a 45 Cat. I have to say there is no perfect answer - too small to waterski kids, to big to lift or hang on Davits ..... the Highfield will have the new Tohatsu 25hp lightweight outboard and I am hopeful it covers all the bases reasonably well.
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 19:05   #66

Has anybody heard of or have experience with the aluminum RIB by Liberty Boats? came across them today while searching online. Price is obviously attractive but borderline suspicious. And I can't find any reviews online.

Aluminum RIB 290 | Liberty Boats - Inflatable Boats
BluJu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender