Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 13:57   #211

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
The USCG capacity plate for the 10' boat states 3 passengers or 385lbs with a total of 517lbs passengers, motor and gear and 2HP max.

Many people ignore this, but that is the official capacity using the USCG equations for the safety limits.
The factory has an arrangement with an outboard manufacturer and sells 6 horsepower engines specifically for this 10 foot boat. Despite the placard, it is well able to handle 6 horsepower.

That said, I reiterate that the current transoms are not up to a 6 horsepower load. One of the previous models of the drop-in transom will be better for that purpose. If your lake has, somehow, a horsepower limitation, or a speed limitation on it, you may find that a trolling motor works just fine.

my apologies for any dictation errors: I am on the phone rather than on my computer.
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 14:00   #212

Quote:
The USCG capacity plate for the 10' boat states 3 passengers or 385lbs with a total of 517lbs passengers, motor and gear and 2HP max.

Many people ignore this, but that is the official capacity using the USCG equations for the safety limits.
The factory has an arrangement with an outboard manufacturer and sells 6 horsepower engines specifically for this 10 foot boat. Despite the placard, it is well able to handle 6 horsepower.

That said, I reiterate that the current transoms are not up to a 6 horsepower load. One of the previous models of the drop-in transom will be better for that purpose. If your lake has, somehow, a horsepower limitation, or a speed limitation on Ed, you may find that a trolling motor works just fine.

my apologies for any dictation errors: I am on the phone rather than on my computer.
Old 20-06-2020, 14:04   #213

My apologies for duplication. I cannot seem to delete the duplicate message.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Old 20-06-2020, 17:19   #214
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I wasn't aware that the owner of a boat manufacturering company was allowed to over-ride US Coast Guard requirements and rules. That is pretty amazing..
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 17:57   #215

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I apologize if this was brought up already, I didn't go back and read the whole thread. I've watched a few youtube sailing channels where full time cruisers have portabotes. They all seem to love them at the start, or at least defend them and tout their advantages, but a couple years in they yearn to upgrade to a rib. And they each have at least one experience of the boat filling with rain water and submerging overnight, flooding the outboard.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:53   #216

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

For coastal cruising and heading into a dinghy dock a portaboat can be a good solution. But for offshore cruising to remote locations... not so much.

Storing anything large and flat by tying it to the stanchions is asking for trouble offshore. I have done it, and had storm waves break off stanchions as a result. I won’t do it again. I know lots of people do it, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.

Launching a portaboat off a beach into ANY kind of surf is a very dangerous operation. It is virtually impossible to climb into for the last crew member holding it into the waves. I watched someone end up under a portaboat when a small wave pushed it back on the beach. She was lucky, with only a sprained ankle.

Stepping down onto a smooth, slippery, flexible, unlevel surface is OK for the most coordinated of us, but those of us who are klutzes, we are not happy (or safe) doing that.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:05   #217

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I apologize if this was brought up already, I didn't go back and read the whole thread. I've watched a few youtube sailing channels where full time cruisers have portabotes. They all seem to love them at the start, or at least defend them and tout their advantages, but a couple years in they yearn to upgrade to a rib. And they each have at least one experience of the boat filling with rain water and submerging overnight, flooding the outboard.
I've cruise seasonally for around 15 years now with a portabote. My durations have increased from a couple months to about seven months these days. I've used the same portabote the whole time.

I do not yearn for a RIB. My bote has never submerged, flooding the outboard.

I don't think a portabote is the best dinghy for all occasions or circumstances. I do think it remains the best compromise of factors for my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
...Storing anything large and flat by tying it to the stanchions is asking for trouble offshore. I have done it, and had storm waves break off stanchions as a result. I won’t do it again. I know lots of people do it, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.
Agreed. This is why I store mine along my cabin, well inboard. I don't think tying them to the stanchions is a good idea.

Quote:
Launching a dinghy off a beach into ANY kind of surf is a very dangerous operation. It is virtually impossible to climb into for the last crew member holding it into the waves.
This does indeed sound like a challenge. I suspect it would be a challenge with any small boat, but I suppose a rubber dink would be easier. It's one factor to weigh in the assessment. The portabote exceeds the inflatable in others. It all comes down to personal needs and wants.
Old 20-06-2020, 19:10   #218
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

"I've seen a few YouTube videos, and now I know kung-Foo -and everything about cruising too..."
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:17   #219

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've cruise seasonally for around 15 years now with a portabote. My durations have increased from a couple months to about seven months these days. I've used the same portabote the whole time.

I do not yearn for a RIB. My bote has never submerged, flooding the outboard.

I don't think a portabote is the best dinghy for all occasions or circumstances. I do think it remains the best compromise of factors for my situation.
Yeah, obviously the few examples I've seen online are not representative of the whole. I'm merely sharing the limited exposure that I've had to the design, as well as a risk that it presents that is probably less on an inflatable. I suppose there's probably a way an inflatable could flip over and flood the outboard, maybe being towed or something like that.

Quote:
"I've seen a few YouTube videos, and now I know kung-Foo -and everything about cruising too..."
If that was in reference to my comment, that is not what I said, and very clearly not what I meant.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:25   #220

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
I wasn't aware that the owner of a boat manufacturering company was allowed to over-ride US Coast Guard requirements and rules. That is pretty amazing..

The USCG sets various objective rules regarding flotation while swamped for small boats, and the maximum capacities and HP ratings for them. The rules do not apply to boats longer than 20', nor to sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats of any size.

Statistically canoes and kayaks have more fatalities than other types of boats though particularly when only those accidents that occur underway are considered. A great many fatalities involve inebriated individuals falling overboard from boats that are anchored or docked.

The maximum HP rating is mainly a function of length multiplied by transom width with some adjustment based on flat vs. round bottom. The maximum carrying capacity is usually 14%-20% of displacement less boat weight with the exact amount varying depending on whether the boat has inboard or outboard propulsion and whether the HP rating exceeds 2. The maximum may be reduced by stability tests.

Manufacturers may derate boats to any value they wish. This is often done to reduce the requirements for flotation foam, which are proportional to carrying capacity and are reduced considerably if the HP rating is 2 or less.

Boats may be sold, and often are, with outboard motors larger than that listed on the capacity plate. This is in recognition that the formulaic limit based on length and transom width dates to the 1960s and does not consider such important factors as freeboard or deadrise angle.

Whether it is lawful to operate a boat with HP or load in excess of the capacity plate rating varies by jurisdiction.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:44   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Yeah, obviously the few examples I've seen online are not representative of the whole. I'm merely sharing the limited exposure that I've had to the design, as well as a risk that it presents that is probably less on an inflatable. I suppose there's probably a way an inflatable could flip over and flood the outboard, maybe being towed or something like that.

One of the reasons, and benefits, of a portabote is that you never have to drag it. It stores on deck for anything other than the most minor of passages. And I would never, ever, consider towing any dinghy with the outboard attached. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen, no matter the dinghy.

The portabote solves a number of problems some cruisers like me face. It's not perfect, but no solution is. I've actually used three different inflatables before settling on the portabote. In my experience, the bote is the best option.
Old 20-06-2020, 21:03   #222

Quote:

I saw the chart on the PB website and it says 585 lbs (266 kg). The electric motor is 15kg+ 3 dogs 100kg + 2 passengers 120kg. If it's only 517lbs I'd
have to go for the 12' which is a bit more difficult to handle when I'm alone.
Darknoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 21:19   #223

Quote:
Very nice. Is the house off-grid? What types and sizes of electrical generation are you using?
I plan to put a few photovoltaic panels but there's an underwater power cable.
So I've got a heat pump, a soapstone fireplace and a soapstone wood stove to heat the house if necessary. I'm not sure generators are allowed because the noise and pollution, same thing with boats, in a lot of lakes you could only use electric motors.
Old 20-06-2020, 21:40   #224

Quote:
For coastal cruising and heading into a dinghy dock a portaboat can be a good solution. But for offshore cruising to remote locations... not so much.

Storing anything large and flat by tying it to the stanchions is asking for trouble offshore. I have done it, and had storm waves break off stanchions as a result. I won’t do it again. I know lots of people do it, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.

Launching a portaboat off a beach into ANY kind of surf is a very dangerous operation. It is virtually impossible to climb into for the last crew member holding it into the waves. I watched someone end up under a portaboat when a small wave pushed it back on the beach. She was lucky, with only a sprained ankle.

Stepping down onto a smooth, slippery, flexible, unlevel surface is OK for the most coordinated of us, but those of us who are klutzes, we are not happy (or safe) doing that.
I don't have to launch it off the beach. And I'll use a kayak for leisure, the PB
is going to be the work horse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honkaluoto Is.12.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	217789  
Old 21-06-2020, 04:15   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknoid View Post
I saw the chart on the PB website and it says 585 lbs (266 kg). The electric motor is 15kg+ 3 dogs 100kg + 2 passengers 120kg. If it's only 517lbs I'd
have to go for the 12' which is a bit more difficult to handle when I'm alone.

I think the 10' bote will be too small for your needs.