Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2020, 13:48   #46

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch
Re: Mercury or Tohatsu outboard motor?

Strongly recommend the Tohatsu. We use a long shaft 6hp and move it between dinghies and sailboats. We have pushed a 24 foot wooden cutter with it at 5 knots.
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 14:25   #47

Boat: Endeavour 28

My preference has always been Yamaha.... but in your case, Merc V Tohatsu.... Tohatsu hands down. Great reliable engine. I've always found Mercury's flood too easily.
Greg_Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 21:08   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Colleen View Post
My preference has always been Yamaha.... but in your case, Merc V Tohatsu.... Tohatsu hands down. Great reliable engine. I've always found Mercury's flood too easily.
Really?! Does the paint color make that much difference?! It’s the same engine!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 21:28   #49

Boat: Endeavour 28

Not in Australia. Pull the cowlings off and place them side by side - they are not the same engines. Power heads might be the same, but carby's and emission control gear is different.
Greg_Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 23:45   #50

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
2 stroke may be banned in the States but hey guys there is a huge world outside your borders selling 2 strokes.
That may be the case, but not in Australia.
A business cannot sell a new 2-stroke outboard from 01JAN19; they are permitted to sell "used" or "traded" 2-stroke engines.

In this part of the world, good and reliable used 2-stroke engines for sale, are almost non-existent.

I gave away my 2-stroke (9.8hp) and replaced it with a 6hp 4-stroke Suzuki - great engine (I do miss the extra hp, but can live with the fact that most of the time I could not use the full 9.8hp on the tender when at anchor).
The reasons for the change-down to 6hp 4-stroke - less pollution; availability of spare parts; and, same weight as the old 9.8hp 2-stroke.

It's all a matter of compromise.
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 02:26   #51

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

I have had both engines .
The Mercury same according to the dealer was Rubbish .
The Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke is legendary .
My only problem I had was leaving it for months having not run it dry of fuel and the pump diaphram failed , my fault .
Always run the two stroke dry when not using for a period of time .
BTW six months ago selling new 2strokes in Australia was banned .
They are now collectors items and the Tohatsu very sought after .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 04:58   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not in Australia. Pull the cowlings off and place them side by side - they are not the same engines. Power heads might be the same, but carby's and emission control gear is different.
Wow, I wonder which factory built the Australian Mercury outboards? I understand they have been banned for a year now.
Old 21-01-2020, 08:47   #53

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I had a Tohatsu 6hp for a while. It ran great and I had little trouble with it. I looked at the parts manuals for it and the Mercury and they were the same down to the part numbers except for the brand name. I did run into a situation in March Harbor in the Bahamas where I needed some part, but I don't remember what it was. There was no Tohatsu dealer there, but there was a Mercury dealer. I went in with the part number and during the conversation I let it slip that I was going to use it in a Tohatsu. The guy said he wasn't allowed to sell me the part. He freely admitted that it was the same part, but said he couldn't sell it to me. I don't know if Mercury has some sort of contract that prevents them from selling parts for Tohatsu engines or if the guy thought he could get me to buy a new mercury from him because he wouldn't sell me the part and I was in the Bahamas. I had a guest coming in a couple of days so I had him pickup the part in the states and brought it with him.
I also have the 6 hp sailpro (long shaft) with high thrust prop. I've owned more than a few O.Bs in my life and this one is by far my favorite. Starts first or second pull every time. Even after sitting for months. I use it to push my Hunter 26 sailboat. I will hit hull speed at about half to 2/3 throttle. My take is you are just paying more for the Mercury name but you will not be getting more for it.

2 cents
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 16:08   #54

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I had a Tohatsu 6hp for a while. It ran great and I had little trouble with it. I looked at the parts manuals for it and the Mercury and they were the same down to the part numbers except for the brand name. I did run into a situation in March Harbor in the Bahamas where I needed some part, but I don't remember what it was. There was no Tohatsu dealer there, but there was a Mercury dealer. I went in with the part number and during the conversation I let it slip that I was going to use it in a Tohatsu. The guy said he wasn't allowed to sell me the part. He freely admitted that it was the same part, but said he couldn't sell it to me. I don't know if Mercury has some sort of contract that prevents them from selling parts for Tohatsu engines or if the guy thought he could get me to buy a new mercury from him because he wouldn't sell me the part and I was in the Bahamas. I had a guest coming in a couple of days so I had him pickup the part in the states and brought it with him.
That's pretty common in the contract manufacturing industry. One company builds a product under their own name, and sells the same product to another company to be sold under the second companies name. The sales contacts don't allow either company to sell parts for the other companies product. We get the same thing with inboard diesels. Universal Diesels are really Kubotas, but go into a Kubota shop looking for Universal parts and they won't talk to you. Come in the same shop and ask for the same part for a Kubota tractor and you're all set.

Tohatsu makes small outboards for just about everybody. Mercury, Nissan, Evenrude, etc. They're all the same. The only issue would be the dealer network. You can't get a tohatsu fixed at a Mercury dealer, even though they're the same motor. Go with the most convenient dealer.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 19:21   #55

Boat: Tartan 40

I got a new 15hp Tohatsu last season and it’s great. EFI 4 stroke version with pull start. Pretty light at 90 lbs/41kg relatively speaking. But quieter and smoother than 2 stroke and no stinky exhaust or as much pollution. And best of all no carb. So far I’m a convert.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 22:26   #56
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
Right now I can immediately get an 8 hp Mercury or 9.8 hp Tohatsu.
JR, How about you buy the 9.8 Tohatsu, and I'll trade you straight up for my 18hp Tohastu? Only probelm is that you have to deliver it to Australia and my engine weighs a lot.
Old 30-06-2020, 11:42   #57

Can anyone help me. Will a mercury ecu work in a tohatsu ? Provided they are the same hp
nick_golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 12:13   #58

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Since they are currently made in the same factory, and appear to be identical, I wonder how to account for that difference in performance?
Old 30-06-2020, 12:18   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Since they are currently made in the same factory, and appear to be identical, I wonder how to account for that difference in performance?
Exactly, they are the same motor. We went with Mercury for their new style tiller handle, the rest is identical.
Old 30-06-2020, 12:25   #60

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Wow, I wonder which factory built the Australian Mercury outboards? I understand they have been banned for a year now.
At one point Mercury outboards sold in Australia were made in the mercury factory in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA. I bought one in 2000, and I love it. Abused to the death a few times but still starts on one pull, (three if it has be sitting for a few months) and is quiet and strong.

These motors, the 15hp 2stroke, were the last small motors Merc made in the USA. It was continued because it was the only motor used in Class A outboard racing (it was specified) and could only be sold to APBA members, in racing trim. Now I understand that they are not even made for that purpose.

Since then the factory in Japan funded by Nissan, Tohatsu, and Mercury makes all the small motors Mercury sells, world wide, I understand. Those remaining examples of the 2-stroke Wisconsin motors found for sale in some countries are left overs, soon to be none.

If anyone has information to the contrary, I'd love to learn it.

Tags
mercury, motor, outboard