Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk II
Kayak racks - do you use them on passages?

We have a one-person kayak that we store on deck between the shrouds and lifelines for passages, rather than using our stanchion-mounted Garhauer kayak racks. While the racks are great for storing our kayak at anchor, I've always been wary of having the kayak "hanging" outboard while sailing or motoring. I just picture a swell hitting it or the boat taking a roll, ripping out the stanchions. Am I being overly paranoid? I would like to have the deck clear so I can go forward while underway without having to dance around the kayak.
mlaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:32   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Kayak racks - do you use them on passages?

mlaver, I understand your worry but I think, as in most things about boats, the answer is it depends. I have Garhauer racks that I have used for 5 or 6 years so far. My boat is a bit bigger and the topsides are a bit higher than yours but for costal cruising, short hops offshore in settled weather Ive never had a concern with solid water doing damage to the racks or the stanchions. For longer trips offshore or if the weather is iffy I remove the kayak or the SUPs from the rack. Similarly, I often tow my air floor inflatable dinghy but when preparing for offshore or longer costal trips I bring it aboard and deflate it.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39   #3

Boat: Valiant V40
Re: Kayak racks - do you use them on passages?

We also use the Garhauer racks, but do NOT use them on passages. We don't worry so much about damage to the kayaks, but the increased risk of fouling sheets, etc. We've also noticed that having the kayaks etc inflated at the bow significantly increases weather helm and makes balancing the boat more of an effort.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak, passage