Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 16:06   #1

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50
How much weight can mast support for lifting dinghy?

Our current dinghy weighs with out motor 115lbs to specs not including the Yamaha 25hp eudoro engine on it. We recently aquired a new dinghy that is around 320 to spec not including the outboard weight.

We usually pick the dinghy up and hang it off the side when anchored. We dont have davits and keep the dinghy up on the fore deck when sailing.

Just wondering if its ok for the extra weight to be hanging off the side the line goes to a block on the lower spreaders.

Thanks
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 16:19   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: How much weight can mast support for lifting dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthought View Post

Just wondering if its ok for the extra weight to be hanging off the side the line goes to a block on the lower spreaders.

Thanks
So the title should be "How much weight can spreaders support for lifting dinghy?"
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 16:29   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Like you, I have hoisted the dinghy out of the water/alongside using the mainsail halyard or another one, although the dinghy was considerable smaller than your old and new one.

The 25Hp enduro would weigh a little over 50 kg/110 lbs, and that would add up 320+110=430 lbs or about 200 kg.
You didn't say what size/type of boat you have (catfisher 28????), but I imagine that if a yacht or cat is big enough to store such tender on deck, the halyard/sheave/mast will be strong enough to support that.
The only caveat is that the halyard tension would not be in line with the sheave and the sheave could cut into the halyard, and on a cat this misalignment would be even bigger. Regular checks for chafe might be called for.

Edit: oops didn't see the "block on lower spreaders"........ I doubt if many spreaders are designed to take such downward load, OK, not all the 200 kg would be hanging on the spreader, but..... Maybe if the intermediate shroud is terminated on that spreader with a turnbuckle?
Old 05-03-2018, 16:43   #4

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50

The boat is 50ft monohul 22tons mast is around 62ft.

I didnt mean the block was on the spreader but that the block is connected to the mast it is just at the same level as the lower spreaders.

There is shrouds terminate directly to the mast as well at that level.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:41   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

I didnt mean the block was on the spreader but that the block is connected to the mast it is just at the same level as the lower spreaders.

There should not be any problem with the mast.
BUT - check the connection between the block and the mast (aluminium rivets? S/S bolts?). In my eyes this is the possible failure point.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:02   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If your boat has the space, load on the mast should be no issue. Anything big enough to carry 400# hanging off the side has a mast that can easily carry the load. The connection to the block is the vulnerable point
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:42   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

The angle between the sheeve and the line can be reduced by using a masthead halyard or a spinnaker halyard rather than a lower block. The halyard and the sheeve should handle 400+ pounds fine.

My concern would be the effort needed to lift that weight. Do you have an electric winch or sufficiently sized winch available? Keep in mind that friction will add to that load.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:32   #8

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:

My mast is 64 ft, on my 12 tons skoop, and I lift my Carib Rib (150 pounds) easy with a masthead spinnaker halyard. So, I believe no problem for you...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 13:04   #9

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I used that same method to lift my 9.9 Achillies and 8hp yamaha two stroke. I found excessive wear on the main Halyard probably from the sideways load at the Masthead block. Now I use the old block and tackle that the previous owner had for a vang. I have this hung from the same Main Halyard and am able to pull the 9.8Tohatsu and 11’ Avon hard bottom. You could do this same possibly with a six part block and tackle instead of a four part and save the constant wear and tear on your Halyard. All that said sounds like your best solution is Davits unless you have a Wind Vane which I assume is the case....Cheers
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 14:02   #10

Thumbs up Re: How much weight can mast support for lifting dinghy?

Quote:
Our current dinghy weighs with out motor 115lbs to specs not including the Yamaha 25hp eudoro engine on it. We recently aquired a new dinghy that is around 320 to spec not including the outboard weight.

We usually pick the dinghy up and hang it off the side when anchored. We dont have davits and keep the dinghy up on the fore deck when sailing.

Thanks
There should be no problem.
sailaway68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 19:43   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

deepthought: Or, you could use your spinnaker halyard, from a mast bale at the top of the mast. That's what we've used. The 12mm halyard has no problem with the weight, even with the engine on. However, our dinghy weighs less than your new one.

Ann
Old 06-03-2018, 22:57   #12

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

No worries! Your mast can easily support enough weight to pull your entire boat over on its side.

Our boat does not have a spinnaker halyard. We usually store the outboard on deck before raising the RIB, but sometimes we want to lift both to the foredeck. We raise our Honda 15 4stroke (110 lbs) + Carib RIB (must be at least 120 lbs?) using our spare jib halyard from the masthead sheave. Before lifting, I grab the RIB painter, pull the RIB toward the bow and make it fast on the bow mooring cleat. The ideal painter length is found by experiment, but this ensures that I as I raise the RIB it stays forward as much as possible so I won't be putting too much sideways strain on the halyard at the sheave. I don't notice any wear on the halyard after doing this for dozens of times in the course of a few years.

My wife helps by pushing outboard on the halyard as I crank up the RIB, keeping it from hanging up on the lifelines. Very important: just before the RIB clears the lifelines I have her move forward to the bow so she won't get run over by the RIB swinging in over the lifelines. Otherwise I might have some marital difficulties! Then since I am at the mast winch I just guide the RIB in with one hand and lower it with the other. A good reason to have your halyard winches at the mast - you can deal with any problems quickly since you are right where the action is.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 17:17   #13

Boat: Privilege P43

I would not expect you to have a problem hoisting that load.
We used to carry a jet ski (300 kg dry) on our foredeck and regularly deployed and retrieved it using a spinnaker halyard. Wear and tear on sheave, block and line was minimal.
That being said, with a 25' beam it was not always (or ever) easy to push it outboard; however, temporarily removing lifelines helped.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, lift, mast