Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 09:40   #1

Grumman dinghy rigging

I recently acquired an old Grumman aluminum dinghy.
Most of the rigging is there, but I am missing a few pieces. The problem is, I'm not sure what i am actually missing. There seems to be no place to tie off any of the control lines. I'm not exactly sure how to route the main sheet. Also, it's missing rudder and centerboard.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grumman dinghy.jpg
Views:	1420
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	127917  
cavsvet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 03:22   #2

Re: Grumman dinghy rigging

Does anybody have pictures of the rigging on one of these?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19-07-2016, 04:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Went to google et voila, 30 seconds later found this image. It shows a pretty good shot of the main sheet.

GRUMMAN DINGHY sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:46   #4

Yeah, I've looked at that several times. However, my main sail attaches to the boom differently, and there are two blocks attached to the bottom of the boom that the main sheet runs through.

I get that I need a bridle with a block on the transom for the main sheet. What I haven't been able to figure out is where to tie off the control lines.
Is there supposed to be an outhaul?
Is there supposed to be a vang/kicker?
Where do I tie off the halyard?

I'm also missing the rudder and center board.
Where can I source one?
What are the dimensions? I may be able to fabricate new ones.
Old 19-07-2016, 09:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry. Seems like you have already tried the obvious. So, my best ideas below

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsvet74 View Post
Yeah, I've looked at that several times. However, my main sail attaches to the boom differently, and there are two blocks attached to the bottom of the boom that the main sheet runs through.

With the blocks on the boom you could still rig the main sheet the way it is done in that photo. Just run the end that the guy is holding through the blocks and then back to you. It should actually give you a better angle for the line from the boom to you. Since he's holding the sheet it makes me wonder if there was a place to secure it.

I get that I need a bridle with a block on the transom for the main sheet. What I haven't been able to figure out is where to tie off the control lines.
Is there supposed to be an outhaul?

Maybe no outhaul but certainly some way to tie the clew of the main so the foot doesn't get slack. Is there any kind of cleat or eye on the end of the boom?

Is there supposed to be a vang/kicker?

Probably not on a simple rig like this.
Where do I tie off the halyard?

I'm also missing the rudder and center board.
Where can I source one?

Have you tried any of the used boat part places? There are stores are scattered all around the country. I didn't see a mention of where you're located. If you can let the forum know your location, unless you are in North Dakota or the South Sudan, there's probably one or two nearby. You could probably adapt a rudder and centerboard from some other small boat if you can't find one specific to the Gruman.

What are the dimensions? I may be able to fabricate new ones.

I would guess the dimensions aren't super critical. This is a sailing dinghy and not a high performance, small racer. For the centerboard (dagger board?) if it fits in the hole then you're halfway there. Rudder as long as it projects below the hull and has reasonable surface area that would be a starting point.
Old 19-07-2016, 14:20   #6

Thanks for all the advice skipmac.

I think I have the main sheet figured out. At least that's a start.
Every picture I found of one of these little Grumman dinghies under sail, (all two of them)
show a slightly different set up. They show a pocket on the foot of the sail that the boom slides through. My sail is tied to the boom through a series of eyelets. And they have a different attachment of the boom to the mast.

The tack and clew are secured to the boom, I just wasn't sure if there was some type of outcall. No real big deal. There is a line on the boom under the tack that looks like it should be tied off somewhere to keep the boom from riding up the mast. There is a ring on the mast below the tack where it looks like a block would go, but again, no cleat to tie it off.

I learned to sail racing on my buddies 40 footer, this is new territory for me.
Old 19-07-2016, 14:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Did you see posts from a couple of members on the other, old thread about these dinghies? I recall at least one mentioned he had a copy of the original manual. Might try to send a PM to one of those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsvet74 View Post
Thanks for all the advice skipmac.

I think I have the main sheet figured out. At least that's a start.
Every picture I found of one of these little Grumman dinghies under sail, (all two of them)
show a slightly different set up. They show a pocket on the foot of the sail that the boom slides through. My sail is tied to the boom through a series of eyelets. And they have a different attachment of the boom to the mast.

I wouldn't worry too much about these as long as your rig working the way it's set up.

The tack and clew are secured to the boom, I just wasn't sure if there was some type of outcall.

Is the clew attached directly or is there a short line to an eye? If so, then there's your outhaul.

No real big deal. There is a line on the boom under the tack that looks like it should be tied off somewhere to keep the boom from riding up the mast. There is a ring on the mast below the tack where it looks like a block would go, but again, no cleat to tie it off.

From what I know about these rigs they are plain vanilla simple. So for the tack I would just tie the line directly to the ring on the mast. I'm thinking you're just making it too complicated. Forget blocks and cleats, just tie the lines to the nearest ring, eye, or protruding bit.

I learned to sail racing on my buddies 40 footer, this is new territory for me.

Think simple.

Tags
dinghy, rigging, rum