Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 20:15   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Fixing a hole next to a seam on hypalon

I always have trouble fixing a hole that is next to a seam. My idea this time is to sand the seam so that it has a smooth beveled surface from the skin of the dinghy out. I will then follow all of the recommended procedures on gluing up the hypalon.
Any other suggestions on how to patch a small hole located next to a seam?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:37   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Fixing a hole next to a seam on hypalon

Seams! That seems to be where most leaks happen. Both the leaks on my Boston Whaler were by a glued section and one of them has started leaking again.

But according to the instructions for my hypalon inflatable one is supposed to rough the surface where the patch is supposed to go, and the bottom side of the patch.
Then brush glue on both of those surfaces and let it dry until tacky to the touch. Then put the patch on the surface and press hard. It helps too if one has a tire patch roller to finish off the pressure.

If a leak is next to glued-on tab, (e.g. handle) sometimes one has to lift the tab enough to add a patch and re-glue the tab over the patch. In that case the patch needs to have beveled edges.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:15   #3

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I have the gluing up the surface of th epatch and th edinghy, letting dry then apply with pressure. I also force down with a spoon to get all of the air pockets out. Then I put a board on over the surface and in back and vice with clamps for 24 hours. What I was trying to avoid was the lifting of the seam and going under it. Some things I gues you can't get away from. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21   #4

I had this done professionally once. It seemed that the repair was done by having a glob of some sort of clear liquid which hardened to almost a clear plastic like area of about 1/2" diameter. and then a patch was put over top of than which also covered the seam.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote