Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 04:01   #16

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Re: Chaps for the RIB

We used the Sailrite "how to" and video to put chaps on our AVON 340...first time doing our own...was easy enough...cost was materials plus time. Not a sexy job but protection was our goal. We used the pattern plastic from Sailrite to build the panel templates. Second the recommendation on the high-end thread!

TMT2
SV Take Me There
Gulfstar M53
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 04:04   #17

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

We used the Sailrite "how to" and video to put chaps on our AVON 340...first time doing our own...was easy enough...cost was materials plus time. Not a sexy job but protection was our goal. We used the pattern plastic from Sailrite to build the panel templates. Second the recommendation on the high-end thread!

TMT2
SV Take Me There
Gulfstar M53
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMT2 RIB.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	119576  
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:28   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm not a fan of chaps. They may be well suited for many, but I'm one to avoid work. We slackers don't want all these flaps of cloth that form spaces for spiders, mold, salt deposits, dirt & abrasive grit. This is the same reason why I don't put covers on my fenders. I'm not going to be taking covers or chaps off regularly and washing under them. Maybe the chaps would be suitable if I were a seasonal cruiser and putting everything away clean for periods of time.

If I'm putting a protective cover on my hypalon, it will be painted on with a brush and leaving no added parts to tend to or spaces to clean.

Of course, the chaps can be great for others,- 'just not me.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:27   #19

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm not a fan of chaps. They may be well suited for many, but I'm one to avoid work. We slackers don't want all these flaps of cloth that form spaces for spiders, mold, salt deposits, dirt & abrasive grit. This is the same reason why I don't put covers on my fenders. I'm not going to be taking covers or chaps off regularly and washing under them. Maybe the chaps would be suitable if I were a seasonal cruiser and putting everything away clean for periods of time.

If I'm putting a protective cover on my hypalon, it will be painted on with a brush and leaving no added parts to tend to or spaces to clean.

Of course, the chaps can be great for others,- 'just not me.
Painting sounds like a great idea. What kind of paint would you use on hypalon? Anyone else tried this?
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:29   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I was thinking, I can buy a pre-made dinghy cover for like $100US. Is it that much of a pain to just cover the whole thing when not in use, rather than keep chaps on all the time?
I'm with you on this.

I was using a tarp when I had my dink beached when tent camping in key west all last summer. The tarp was actually more to keep my "AO" (military talk for area of occupation) looking tidy so as anal base whiners wouldn't have something to whine about.

If you load the dink on davits though, I could see the other guys point of people get tired of the cover on/off game and soon quite but really it only takes a second otherwise and even the motor is covered...

Nice thing about using the cover, whatever is in the dink is outta sight/outta mind to most opportunists (thief's)
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:35   #21

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm pretty sure that Ann T. Cate put some reflective piping in their dinghy's chaps. And that such seems like a wise idea. So that it's easier for other boats to see you, especially at speed. Or, if your dinghy decides to go on walkabout, without your permission.

Also, I'm guessing that there would likely be some tips on this in the CF Sewing Group. And if not on this topic specifically, then some generally helpful info.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:26   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
Painting sounds like a great idea. What kind of paint would you use on hypalon? Anyone else tried this?
There are a number of rubberized paints marketed as coatings for inflatables. This is a photo of my Daughter's painted dinghy.

Some of these coatings are better than others and some are no good at all. This one is the best, but I can't remember what they used. I'll post the name of this "paint" when I get it from my Son-in-law.
Old 25-02-2016, 12:08   #23

Ours: https://www.facebook.com/16340130934...type=3&theater

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:53   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

44'cruisingcat, Beautiful job! These are the best I've seen. 'doesn't make me want a set of my own, but I enjoy looking at yours!
Old 25-02-2016, 13:02   #25

Thanks!

I didn't make them though, It was my friend Mike, at Marine Canvas Hervey Bay. (I did some of the dumb labouring.)

John McEnroe
Old 25-02-2016, 13:27   #26

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

44' Cruising Cat: I'll echo the well done.

How are they attached to the tubes? Velcro? Adhesive?
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 13:44   #27

Thanks again. They're held on by Velcro, the "hook" side glued to the tubes, "loop" side sewn to the canvas.

John McEnroe
Old 25-02-2016, 13:56   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We made chaps for our PVC dinghy last year. From WeatherMax. There is a night time picture in the CF Sewing Group, under canvas projects. Thank you, Uncivilized, for remembering about the retro-reflective piping. FWIW, having had a dinghy go walkabout once, we also put Solas tape "dots" on the o/b.

"Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects" I did a CF Custom Google Search and it still comes up. Unfortunately, the pic itself is in Jim's computer, and I can't post it again now. But it's there.

We were not smart enough to have read the SailRite instructions first. I would heartily recommend one do that. Ours is glued on. The main failure with it was to not cover further down the inside, to the largest diameter of the tubes. The cover is velcroed on, to velcro strips that we bonded to the pvc. It is not a year old yet, so still too soon to say how successful it was.

Ann
Old 25-02-2016, 14:05   #29

We have had ours on the dingy for about two years with the dingy always in the water, PNW not much growth. Its made with shock cord and a zipper on the outside seem with a matching cover that zips in for stowing inveted on deck. having the cover on as we have been migrating out of constuction has been nice, paint epoxy etc do leave some stains butthe dingy is more or less like new underneath. Two things I need to fix are snaps were used in the back to secure the insde part to the pontoon and the glue on male snaps didn't hold up. Secound part is how it sits in the water with the outboard, the back portion tends to be submerged and get green in a hurry. It also wants to cup water on plane. Will probably make a new one and keep the old for construction days. Have a pic somewhere, incidently most people we meet in the PNW think wer are wierd for having it..
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 14:13   #30

Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib