Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 20:31   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Chaps for the RIB

Anyone have photos of their chaps on a RIB? I'm purchasing an Avon 310 and am going to install them on mine.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 01:12   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Chaps for the RIB

Haven' had yet, thinking that hypalon was bullet proof. BUT, have now seen some in action on friends' dinghies,and think they might be wise. What was done in their case, was what looks a shortish cover, above the rubstrake. Affixed by velcro. Use PTFE thread for the stitching for longevity. Should be fairly easy to make your own, but I recommend making a cheap pattern first, perhaps out of cheap tarp material.

Ann
Old 30-03-2014, 02:42   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461

Asked a sailmakers for chaps for our 11ft Carib and got estimates between 1000$ and 1500$, with explanation "it is time consuming and complicated"?
Any prefabricated chaps out there?
SailSummerWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:24   #4

Personally I believe if you have a good dink made from Hypalon and you keep it clean it will last for many ears in the tropics. If you buy a cheaper PVC dink then I would be putting chaps on it as they have a very short life in the tropics.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:51   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

It's probably no help to you but the local dinghy manufacturer here in Phuket makes the best looking chaps I've ever seen - they don't even look like chaps but they're rugged and even attractive.

Cholamark Dinghies Phuket

By the way, I was a member of SWYC for 14 years. My three kids were very active in the Junior program. Great club.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 05:14   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I was thinking, I can buy a pre-made dinghy cover for like $100US. Is it that much of a pain to just cover the whole thing when not in use, rather than keep chaps on all the time?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:09   #7
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

Sailrite has an instruction item, I think video and written, that was excellent. I made my own. It was a winter project. I used clean thin plastic to make a pattern. It was a lot of work, but I can not say how long it took me. I do think they will add years to the life.
I did not do this on mine but if you hate arriving with a wet seat, I was going to make a flap of material that you could lift up and cover your rear while underway.
I made portions of mine out of "boat blanket", a material from sailrite. It is the same stuff that you can make fender covers out of.
Get some netting material and elastic to make some pockets. I made a large pocket at the front made of water resistant material.
I am a little anal. I even made a cargo net to strap to the handles (suspend) so when you are bringing a lot of stuff to your boat, it does not get wet in the bottom of the boat.
If you wanted to go cheapo and easy, buy some boat blanket and cut and glue it to your dinghy. For sure take this with a grain of salt but it is the only way I can see you getting it done for your goal of $100.
I am a little different so take everything with a grain of salt.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:11   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

A dinghy cover is a pain - you will get annoyed with it quickly and then not use it at all.

Sailrite posts some very good instructions on how to make your own chaps on their website.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:23   #9
RDW

Mark, I made mine 7 years ago and have never taken it off. It does look a little dirty but so did my dinghy. I leave it on passages with the dinghy upside down on deck. I leave it on all winter, on hard, on deck with boat covered.
I do think with the cost to have one made you might be ok just taking the sun damage and buying a new dinghy.
RDW
Old 30-03-2014, 06:27   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Are you talking about a cover or chaps? I was responding to another poster's question about a dinghy cover instead of chaps. I have yet to meet anyone who was not annoyed by their dinghy cover, and most of them later moved to chaps.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:29   #11
RDW

Mark, sorry my mistake.
rdw
Old 08-04-2014, 16:09   #12

Boat: beneteau OC 352

here is the email of a "little old man"
sgentilejr@aol.com
he goes by the name sailor sam. hes retired and makes sail covers an other things for extra spending money .. his prices are very good .. you email him a scetch and measurements and he'll make it to spec in any color sunbrella, he'll give you a better deal if he has left over material that he's trying to use up and get rid of.. he charged me $250 for a main sail cover and $50 to patch and lots of stitching on a genny.. super nice guy, talk your ear off though
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 19:27   #13

Boat: Allied 39

Roy be sure to use the Tenera thread. We are on our second set of chaps now and the thread has outlasted the material. We used a light silver sunbrella. To dark and you will burn your ass.

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 29-04-2014, 20:53   #14

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I'm about to start a project for chaps on my aged PVC RIB, hoping to extend the life a little more. All the instructions I have found are for chaps held in place with a drawstring below the rubbing strake, whereas I plan to have velcro attachment above the strake ... as mentioned by Ann T Cate above. Matt Grant from Sailrite confirmed this method as OK.

I have the Sailrite instructions and a couple of others, which I need to modify for my plan. The materials have just arrived so I can begin soon.

Any construction pointers specifically for the velcro method?
Old 25-02-2016, 02:36   #15

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

Here is the long and detailed video from Sailrite on
How to Make Dinghy Chaps:
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib