Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 09:34   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Black marks on dinghy

Before I try out a bunch of different materials that may or may not work, let me ask the forum. I have a Lagoon 410 with with davit arms that extend out to lift the dink. The problem is when I raise the dink all the way up, the area where the arms touch the dink turns black. This black mark is very difficult to remove. So, question is, what has anyone else used as a successful shield to attach to the davit arms to protect the dink? I thought about a piece of leather, but not sure of the longevity. Thoughts?
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 09:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Black marks on dinghy

Clear packaging tape on the davit arms?
On aircraft we call it anti-chafe tape and it is sacrificial, meaning occasionally it will have to be replaced as it wears away, but just peel off the old and stick on new tape
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:54   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Leather would likely work, though it's quick to get wet, & retains moisture for a long time. Which is important if your davits are aluminum, & aren't anodized, or otherwise coated.

You could also simply do some nice knotwork on the davits, using anything from 3mm cord, to 10mm braid, or line cover (sans core). A pattern of half hitches with the cordage going fully around each davit arm before throwing in another hitch would work. And you could alternate the direction of the hitches so as to get a straight vertical line of knots... The type of knot, & variations of them are endless. And line past the age of being good for serious purposes works well after a quick trip through the washing machine.

You could also stitch canvas or neoprene in place over the areas in question. And on, & on.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:04   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A noodle will do the job. Just slit it down the middle.
Old 28-10-2016, 11:50   #5

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Clear packaging tape on the davit arms?
On aircraft we call it anti-chafe tape and it is sacrificial, meaning occasionally it will have to be replaced as it wears away, but just peel off the old and stick on new tape
We have always called it erosion tape but the same stuff. It a thick clear polyurethane tape. Use it on aircraft leading edge areas, radomes, props, etc. For this application it would probably work great and last forever.

3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks. for the help everyone! Looks like the 3M tape will do the trick. I'll report back with results.
Old 23-11-2016, 09:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Back with an update. I haven't had a chance to order the leading edge tape yet, but did apply some clear packing tape as a quick substitute before our trip down the ICW to Myrtle Beach. And you know what, that stuff worked great. I had the dink pulled up tight to the davits on numerous occasions and not one black mark. The tape looks no worse for wear either. So, at this point I'm going to keep it on and see how long it lasts. One benefit is it's clear, so it not noticeable at all on the davits...

Tags
dinghy