Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2008, 10:40   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Avon inflatable floor

I have a West Marine branded Avon inflatable (R280) with an inflatable floor. I bought it new about 5 years ago, and it has been a very good dinghy. The floor is now becoming very sticky and the stickiness won't come off with conventional cleaning. I haven't tried anything with solvents. I don't recall spilling anything nasty on the floor. I know the boat is made of hypalon, but I'm not sure about the floor. Any experience with a similar problem or words of wisdom? Thanks.

"No one would have ever crossed the ocean if they could have gotten off the ship in a storm." Charles Kettering
SailVanora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 10:48   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The inflatable floor is probably made of PVC, even though the dinghy itself is Hypalon. The sun makes PVC sticky after a few years.

Is the dinghy still under warranty? You might be able to get a partial credit toward a replacement floor.

If you want to try to repair it, do a little Googling. You'll come across some products that claim that they will help. Like this one inflatable boat paint and tuff coat for repairing renewing restoring hypalon pvc and recoating your old inflatable boat

If you can't find anything you'd trust for "re-surfacing", replacing the floor is the only solution.

Tags
avon