Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 13:03   #1

An inexpensive DIY floating dinghy dock

I was searching for a reliable way to store my dinghy out of the seriously dirty water. I wanted to store it in my slip, to avoid the $150/mo marina charge, but not in my davits.

After looking on-line for an inexpensive alternative to the expensive used floaters available, I decided to build a floating dinghy dock for my Zodiac 10.2 RIB. It cost less than $100 and used some remnants and surplus materials.

I used 4 x 55 gal plastic barrels, some surplus 1/4" line, some surplus rubber (non-skid material) and a 4 foot piece of 2x6" pine.

Attached are the photos and drawing that will assist you in building one like mine if you wish.

If you wish to receive an Xcel file drawing of the assembly details, please contact me.

mackrobertson(at)yahoo.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277[1].jpg
Views:	355
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	127612

Name:	IMG_0280[1].jpg
Views:	354
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	127613

Name:	IMG_0281[1].jpg
Views:	374
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	127614
mackrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 16:58   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: An inexpensive DIY floating dinghy dock

I built basically the same thing on my dock, but with 2 inch holes in the bottom of the blue plastic barrels and an air bubbler pump from an old hot tub, some pvc fittings and ball valve.
To launch, I open the valve, and the whole thing sinks with a fender to prevent it sinking too far.
Oh, and some swing arms to the dock.
To bring it back up, I hold a momentary switch. Closing the valve keeps the Avon with 10 hp motor out of the water.

Eees berry berry seemple !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:39   #3

Re: An inexpensive DIY floating dinghy dock

Interesting solution for ballasting down. It is a bit more complicated and expensive than the inexpensive version I posted, but a nice little project for someone so inclined.

The reason I did something with the KISS principle in mind is that I don't plan to be at a dock much longer.
mackrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, dock, loa