Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 13:03   #1

1 More ( @ Least ) Piece of advice for a NooB Y`all ?

SO , After almost 2 yrs of Thinking about it , Studying / Research ETC
( and a Trip To FLA Last march actually SAILING the Gulf -- Thanks Again ``Defensible`` Dick & SV Winter Haven ! ) I`m actually in process of Making it HAPPEN ! , The Biz is shut down , All Bills / debts are paid & I`m in the process of liquidation -- My Question is this : I`ve been a Prof. Mechanic / Welder / Fabricator for over 20 Yrs & have a Shop FULL of tools & equip. that I`m not taking ( Even IF I COULD afford a boat HUGE enough to carry it all !) --- SO All You DIY / Maint . Crew / Rigging / Boat mechanic & ETC People , Before I start selling off ALL my Tools & Equip for Boat $ , What Should I Keep for both Minor repairs / Major Repairs ? --- Theres Not much I dont have , But I`m pretty darn sure I could SINK a 35` mono with all this stuff , SO , What should I keep beyond decent basic hand tools ?
Think :Smallish 6 drawer top box , asstd. woodworking & electrical tools & --- ???? ---- Thanks All -- See Ya on the ICW -- SOMEWHERE --- While I CONTINUE to Learn , Then , Who Knows ? -- BVI looks pretty good to Me !!!!

Fair Winds & Happiness To All --- And Thanks again To The CF Community , I CANT WAIT !!!! ----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 012.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	163997  
Attached Files
coloradoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: 1 More ( @ Least ) Piece of advice for a NooB Y`all ?

Very difficult question and one I'm agonizing over myself. I'm sure I don't have the collection of tools you have but I do have enough to fill up the boat.

First, the most important will be a full set of mechanics tools. Socket and wrenches, SAE and metric. Plus all the assorted bits that go along with that: screw drivers and/or bits in flat, Phillips, Torx, square, Allen wrenches, pliers, vise grips, crescent wrenches, etc. You'll probably need the pliers and crescent wrenches in SAE and metric also.

A drill, maybe a right angle drill since there's always a tight spot that needs a hole. Volt meter, electric crimp tool (a good, ratcheting one, not the crap they sell at the autoparts store in a kit).

Now it start getting tricky. I might wait on disposing of the other stuff until you get the boat and it's ready to sail. You might end up with some welding, or major woodworking or whatever on a used boat. After that, woodworking tools are handy but take up a lot of room on the boat and generally don't get used that much. Welders, same thing.

One thing for certain, any special or oddball tool you decide to leave at home is the one you'll need.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The subject of "Which tools to take" is often discussed, with various lists of what others find needed or helpful..

In some cases the right tool may save the day.
In many cases, they may be like an umbrella on a sunny day: Nice to have, but not essential.

Here are some of the many previous threads about tools. As always, some digging in the archives will yield hours of good reading.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ols&gsc.page=1

This single thread will provide good suggestions.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-100353.html

Hope that helps.
Good luck on your future cruising, and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

if wood on exterior, orbital sander and heat gun for varnishing (always a fun time), soldering iron, basic tools (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, plyers, vice grips (the blonde hammer)), plus oil filter wrench(s), oil sucky thingy for oil changes https://www.walmart.com/ip/Manual-7L...&wl13=&veh=sem.

torque wrench. breaker bars, hammers, drifts and files.

Tools should not be too high end as #1 the salt air will rust them out in 10 years and #2, at least one socket, screwdriver, etc will be donated to the bildge or overboard to Poseidon, when working top side, every time you work on anything.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 15:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The subject of "Which tools to take" is often discussed, with various lists of what others find needed or helpful..

In some cases the right tool may save the day.
In many cases, they may be like an umbrella on a sunny day: Nice to have, but not essential.

Here are some of the many previous threads about tools. As always, some digging in the archives will yield hours of good reading.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ols&gsc.page=1

This single thread will provide good suggestions.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-100353.html

Hope that helps.
Good luck on your future cruising, and Bon Voyage!
Guess I shoulve specified , I`m not talking about Just on board tools while underway, I`ll be buying a Used Boat ( Guess We already know what that means ! )
More about larger or specialty stuff I may need on the hard / refitting or Prepping -- I`m taking a 16` enclosed Trailer and thats IT , If it wont fit in my trailer , It`s Not coming with me , It`ll stay with me ( Or @ Least Close by ) Till Me AND The boat are ready , I could Fill that trailer TWICE with JUST TOOLS & EQUIPMENT ! ---
Old 12-02-2018, 17:15   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

You didn't really describe what type of refit you are doing.
I'd seperate out the set of tools you plan to keep on board. Then I'd take power wood working tools, such as a table saw,etc ,along with a drill press and large vice for the trailer. Sell them off when you are ready to leave.
Old 12-02-2018, 18:25   #7

Thanks for your reply Paul , But I Dont have My ``New`` Boat -- YET ! -- So I Really dont know what She`s gonna need for work / refit / Mods ETC , We Havent actually met --- YET ! --- Although , The Table Saw & Drill press is a bit of a surprise , Those would`ve been WAY low on my list ! ( Yup , another NooB for sure ! )
Any thoughts about a compound Miter saw instead ( even better & smaller yet , How `bout a hand held worm drive circular saw W/ saw horses & plywood tabletop & some C-clamps ? ) & TABLE MOUNTED & SMALL ( 1/2 ``drive ) drill press ? -- ``Basic`` mechanics & electrical tools is kind of a no-brainer for me , I`ve been wrenchin`on everything from Cars & trucks to RVs to Motorcycles & Heavy Equip. -- & YES EVEN BOATS for , Well `` Quite some time `` to say the least --- ( around here in CO. USA , Lots `O FRESHWATER Inboards / outboards / PWCs , Not so much on SAILBOATS --- LOL ! )
Sellin` Off My bigger stuff & excess other ``crap`` WILL Help ( LOTS ! ) with my ``Boat Money / Refit & Cruisin` kitty ``-- Thats the ONLY way I`m gonna get My Lady , It`s not like I own a house , gold stash / trust fund / access to ``The donalds`` --Ughh`` --- `` Investment Capital``? -- ( Or even a decent bank account @ this point , but Hey , No current Debt either , Everybody is FINALLY PAID OFF ---- AMEN ! ) ETC ETC
And besides , Paper Moves across the planet Easier than Iron ! -- Just my CURRENT Thinkin``
Thanks for your reply & time , Steve
Old 12-02-2018, 21:39   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi ColoradoRed,

I bought Jim (my husband/skipper) a 4-1/2" jaw, medium light duty Craftsman vice before we left to go cruising. (We stored it upside down, having been mounted on a piece of 3/4" plywood, where it was a plug in the "V" of the v-berth, that we then put a cushion on, to fill in the "V".)

It turned out that there are many times you will use a vise, especially if you choose to go to mechanical swages for your rigging, like Sta-Lok or Sea Rig. As you learn more about the ins and outs of sailboats, you'll be considering issues like that. Ultimately, it will all depend on where you want to go by boat, and IF you like sailing (not everybody does), how much you will want to take with you and what it will be.

I would say keep all your very favorite hand tools, and spend some ingenuity to fight the inevitable salt air. Oiled leather tool rolls can do wonders for the wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, diagonal cutters, etc, etc. Big hand tools is harder. Keep 'em oiled, smeared with lanolin (lots of uses on a boat).

If you plan to always do all your engine work, you will want a decent torque wrench, so don't pitch/sell that.

One luxury tool we carry is a 12 volt dinghy pump, for the tubes on our inflatable dinghies, there have been a number over the years.

Enjoy, it's the beginning of a new phase of your life!

Ann
Old 13-02-2018, 07:56   #9

THANK YOU ANN !!!

MANY Excellent Ideas I hadnt or wouldnt have thought of , LOVE The Vice mount for a lot of reasons , I`ll also be leaving my toolbox ashore after what Ya just taught me & getting or making tool rolls & lanolin ETC .

Stuff like that is EXACTLY the type of stuff I was lookin` to Learn .
Thanks again for the time & knowledge , Steve , The Soon-To- Be NOT Colorado , But still & always Redneck .
--- Fair Winds & Happiness to You Yours always ----
Old 13-02-2018, 08:54   #10

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

One of my most useful decisions was to convert my freezer to tool storage.
Old 13-02-2018, 09:20   #11

Boat: Boatless

Read “What about the stuff” on blog :-)

I regret selling my whole shop and paid a pretty penny to rebuild it a decade later.

Not quite to your question but hope you get the idea!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:01   #12

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Duct tape, Tuck tape, a hammer and a cork screw
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 16:48   #13

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi ColoradoRed,

I bought Jim (my husband/skipper) a 4-1/2" jaw, medium light duty Craftsman vice before we left to go cruising. (We stored it upside down, having been mounted on a piece of 3/4" plywood, where it was a plug in the "V" of the v-berth, that we then put a cushion on, to fill in the "V".)

It turned out that there are many times you will use a vise, especially if you choose to go to mechanical swages for your rigging, like Sta-Lok or Sea Rig. As you learn more about the ins and outs of sailboats, you'll be considering issues like that. Ultimately, it will all depend on where you want to go by boat, and IF you like sailing (not everybody does), how much you will want to take with you and what it will be.

I would say keep all your very favorite hand tools, and spend some ingenuity to fight the inevitable salt air. Oiled leather tool rolls can do wonders for the wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, diagonal cutters, etc, etc. Big hand tools is harder. Keep 'em oiled, smeared with lanolin (lots of uses on a boat).

If you plan to always do all your engine work, you will want a decent torque wrench, so don't pitch/sell that.

One luxury tool we carry is a 12 volt dinghy pump, for the tubes on our inflatable dinghies, there have been a number over the years.

Enjoy, it's the beginning of a new phase of your life!

Ann
The vice on the plywood 'V' in the v-berth is a great idea! Thanks!
Old 14-02-2018, 18:09   #14
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Keep your favorite angle grinder. It is a sander, buffer, bolt cutter, shaper all around tool. Obviously your mechanic hand tools and a cordless drill. Yes to a circular saw with a track, no to a table saw, too much space and little use.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 14:24   #15

It depends on boat size and construction - but if my boat had a small inboard diesel, I'd consider 2 add-ons to it that 4x4 guys often put on their rigs:
1. air compressor. air tools take up less space than electric tools. No inverter charging issues either.
2. arc welder.

various mirrors - you know some aspects are going to be hidden...working by braille is OK if you can envision what you are feeling!

I'd also run "repair drills", like "what if I had to fix YY", and I'd lay out the tools and pretend to do the work. You find where you need larger than normal sockets and wrenches in your box this way.

Best of luck.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote