Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2023, 11:51   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
UV protection of DIY Dyneema rigging?

Hi,

please don't confuse this with the other Dyneema related thread I just opened on a different subject.

Few years ago I rerigged our 35ft cat with Hampidjan bare/raw Dyneema ropes.

Works great and was easy to do, especially after adding some rigging screws.

I'm thinking about replacing the Dyneema in about a years time as it starts getting fuzzy on the outside.

I'm wondering what options as protective shearing or coating I have for additional UV protection. We are sailing full time in the Med and possibly, the Caribbean in the future.

We are on a budget, so any low budget DIY applicable solution is preferred.

PS. I am aware that Dyneema itself is already very good in handling UV, but improving this a bit more is saving more money in the long run.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:21   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: UV protection of DIY Dyneema rigging?

Following with interest
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:31   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

There are three main options:

- traditional serving is done on traditional boats who want to hide their high tech parts See Brion Toss for methods and materials

- a Dyneema chafe sleeve or other kind of protective sleeve, like https://www.neropes.com/products/gra...-chafe-sleeve/

- a high tech coating. Yale MaxiJacket is the gold standard: https://www.yalecordage.com/product-...nd-techniques/

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:36   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Amsteel Blue is Samson's version, with a Samthane coating that helps with chafe and UV. You can't buy Samthane, but there are several other Dyneema polyurethane coatings on the market. I've used several, including products from Marlow, Yale, and Flexdel.

I pulled a lot of my Dyneema and recoated it a few months ago because it was fuzzing. I have some applications as much as 15 years old.

I think there will be a report soon in PS. I've reported on them here before. Very effective, but historically, sailors don't buy them because they don't under stand them.
Old 08-12-2023, 14:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Best option is Dyneema chafe sleeve like Jedi mentioned, coated with Armourcoat or Maxijacket. The sleeve is expensive, but easy to DIY.
Next best would be a polyester sleeve--you can buy empty rope cover from a variety of rig shops. It's heavier and bulkier than dyneema, though.
Marlow, NER, and Maffioli all make a heat-set dyneema with dyneema cover already overbraided. Maffioli calls theirs "Ultrawire." It's about as top-of-the-line as it gets, with a price tag to match. Don't know what the others call theirs.
Old 08-12-2023, 15:29   #6

How about just a high SDR (i.e. thin wall) HDPE tubing? Like irrigation hose? Would have to go on pre-splice, so you're stuck with coatings on the ends, but the bulk of a rigging "wire" could be UV protected using pretty much the same material of which the rope is constructed. Cheaply.

You won't be able to see the rope, but then you can't with the chafe sleeves either.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 16:35   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Here's what Colligo is now offering:

https://www.colligomarine.com/produc...-dux-5mm-c5zrx

Para-D is parallel stranded UHMWPE fibers covered with a Highly chafe resistant PE cover and then coated with a tough Urethane coating. Lightweight and easily adapted to existing masts, spreader ends, and turnbuckles. Since it is not braided, Para-D Rigging has no constructional elongation issues. Sized for equivalent elastic stretch and designed for virtually no creep Para-D offers a low windage profile and very long UV life. "
Old 08-12-2023, 18:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
How about just a high SDR (i.e. thin wall) HDPE tubing? Like irrigation hose? Would have to go on pre-splice, so you're stuck with coatings on the ends, but the bulk of a rigging "wire" could be UV protected using pretty much the same material of which the rope is constructed. Cheaply.

You won't be able to see the rope, but then you can't with the chafe sleeves either.

Thanks, you've got the right philosophy looking at this.

Will look more into this. Problem might be to find the right diameter. Our rigging is 8mm.

I also like the other answers, but when I read top of the line money wise, I don't think it's for us.

I went Dyneema out of budget reasons not due to its high performance characteristics. Still, love those of course too.
Old 08-12-2023, 18:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Amsteel Blue is Samson's version, with a Samthane coating that helps with chafe and UV. You can't buy Samthane, but there are several other Dyneema polyurethane coatings on the market. I've used several, including products from Marlow, Yale, and Flexdel.

I pulled a lot of my Dyneema and recoated it a few months ago because it was fuzzing. I have some applications as much as 15 years old.

I think there will be a report soon in PS. I've reported on them here before. Very effective, but historically, sailors don't buy them because they don't under stand them.

Interesting, I wonder if similar coatings are available from non Marine sources too.

Should be cheaper.
Old 08-12-2023, 18:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Here's what Colligo is now offering:

https://www.colligomarine.com/produc...-dux-5mm-c5zrx

Para-D is parallel stranded UHMWPE fibers covered with a Highly chafe resistant PE cover and then coated with a tough Urethane coating. Lightweight and easily adapted to existing masts, spreader ends, and turnbuckles. Since it is not braided, Para-D Rigging has no constructional elongation issues. Sized for equivalent elastic stretch and designed for virtually no creep Para-D offers a low windage profile and very long UV life. "

Thanks. Very interesting product, but likely way to expensive for us as they need to make the terminal endings.
Old 08-12-2023, 18:53   #11

Would Southern Ropes Stealth Super 12 or something similar be a longer lasting alternative to normal braided sleeveless Dyneema?

What would be similar to this when trying to find in European (or even Tunisian) fishery supply stores?
Old 08-12-2023, 19:54   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Thanks. Very interesting product, but likely way to expensive for us as they need to make the terminal endings.

Sorry, wasn't suggesting this product. It was just interesting that they too are covering their line with a polyester cover and painting with one of those urethane rope protection paints.
Old 08-12-2023, 20:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post

This might be an option: https://www.hoseworld.com/high-density-polyethylene-tube.html/

Than add some braided cover over the splice until the thimble. Just wondering how to protect the material going around the thimble.

BTW. I have covered the last 10cm of our existing shrouds which come up to the thimble with low temperature thick walled heat shrink tubing. Works well, just don't heat it to much. Dyneema does not like to get very hot.
Old 08-12-2023, 21:33   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Interesting, I wonder if similar coatings are available from non Marine sources too.

Should be cheaper.

Maxijacket, as diluted for use, is about 3 cents per foot. How cheap do you want? And no, I don't think you will find it much cheaper, I've looked. Rope Dip was cheaper, as diluted, but it is out of production.

Covers are best when they are an option, but they often are not.
Old 08-12-2023, 22:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Maxijacket, as diluted for use, is about 3 cents per foot. How cheap do you want? And no, I don't think you will find it much cheaper, I've looked. Rope Dip was cheaper, as diluted, but it is out of production.

Covers are best when they are an option, but they often are not.

Oh, thanks, I was not aware of the price of maxijacket. That sounds reasonable.

Tags
DIY, dyneema, rigging, rot