Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 15:27   #46

Boat: Able 50
Re: Tracks for Blade Jib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
True, but in two locations.
Don't do it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 15:57   #47

Quote:
That's why I'm using a renowned boatyard rather than trying to do it myself. The thought of water getting into that deck is the stuff of nightmares.

One more advantage of the floating lead system is that it would mean only two holes in the deck, versus twenty or so. Big advantage.
have you discussed with them? don't assume anything.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:02   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Don't do it.
Pourquoi?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:05   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
have you discussed with them? don't assume anything.
We're still having Easter here, but actually, rather than discussing it with the boatyard, I'm going to do what I should have done two months ago, which is to hire a professional to design it.

I thoroughly underestimated the problem -- a big mistake.
Old 06-04-2015, 16:22   #50

I don't know, it's pretty simple... but can get confusing with all this discussion! Some of the Biggest f'ups I've had were big yards... so I just wanted to caution you on making sure they are doing what you want.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:25   #51

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Pourquoi?
Remember "Animal Farm" ? Four legs good, two legs bad. It's the same with big loads. Spread loads good, point loads bad. When you are dealing with a deck area that was not designed for point loads then "point loads bad" should be your assumption. What race boats do should be viewed by you as irrelevant unless your deck was laid up in the same fashion as theirs was. We both know that it wasn't.

There is good reason that a bazillion boats out there have the #3 sheeted to a track 3-4ft long and positioned near the cap shrouds. Mine was fitted like that 11 years ago and continues to operate as intended. My loads are not much less than yours.

Heard of - KISS ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:26   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't know, it's pretty simple... but can get confusing with all this discussion! Some of the Biggest f'ups I've had were big yards... so I just wanted to caution you on making sure they are doing what you want.
Thanks for that --

This is not really a big yard -- it's a very fine and very old yard, which CFers from these parts will know. I have a lot of trust towards them. But this is not a job for the yard, but for an engineer.
Old 06-04-2015, 16:26   #53

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Dockhead, believe it or not, Bluestocking came out of Cheoy Lee's yard 50 years ago come July, With a similar system for the smaller headsails. Instead of padeyes, there are chrome plated bronze screw eye type of fittings, into female threaded deck plates. Uses small 2 to 1 purchase assemblies for in/out/fore/aft/vertical trim.
Old 06-04-2015, 16:27   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
That's why I'm using a renowned boatyard rather than trying to do it myself. The thought of water getting into that deck is the stuff of nightmares.
What Cheechako said. I'm sure you will be drawing up a service contract, being a lawyer and all...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:27   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Dockhead, believe it or not, Bluestocking came out of Cheoy Lee's yard 50 years ago come July, With a similar system for the smaller headsails. Instead of padeyes, there are chrome plated bronze screw eye type of fittings, into female threaded deck plates. Uses small 2 to 1 purchase assemblies for in/out/fore/aft/vertical trim.
I'm I the last sailor on earth to have never heard of this system?? Could you post some photos?
Old 06-04-2015, 17:33   #56

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
I'm I the last sailor on earth to have never heard of this system?? Could you post some photos?
Unfortunately, flying off Island at first light for a month. Confident you will sort this out real soon.
Old 06-04-2015, 19:17   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Take a look at Schaefer Removable Eye Deck Plate Kit I am not a fan first because the SWL is only around 2500lbs. Secondly because it requires a big plug out of the deck which is had to seal. Finally, in reality people seem to always leave the eye installed anyway so you might as well just use a permanently installed eye anyway.

I can't believe I didn't think to mention a floating jib lead solution. I would highly recommend looking into going this route.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:58   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Take a look at Schaefer Removable Eye Deck Plate Kit I am not a fan first because the SWL is only around 2500lbs. Secondly because it requires a big plug out of the deck which is had to seal. Finally, in reality people seem to always leave the eye installed anyway so you might as well just use a permanently installed eye anyway.

I can't believe I didn't think to mention a floating jib lead solution. I would highly recommend looking into going this route.
There is a beefy beam supporting the staysail track. I think chainplates could be put onto the ends of that, which would even eliminate the penetration in the deck. The sailmaker is supposed to tell me whether the location is suitable or not. It might be too far forward but we shall see.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41   #59

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Post Re: Tracks for Blade Jib

Quote:
Not that, but he objected to my having wasted so much of his time working on the tracks solution, then flying off in another direction.

He is absolutely right that I (a) am clueless; and (b) I started to think about it far too late.

I am slowly becoming less clueless, however, thanks to Uncivilized and thanks to everyone else on here.
Guys,
Since my name has been brought up again, several times in this thread, with questions as to why I walked away, I'll give folks the story. In order to clear any questions. And if further evidence to back up my statements is needed, it is easy enough to post PM's, etc. to show the full evidence & history behind things.

That being, that the OP (repeatedly) feigned ignorance on this topic & it's solutions presented to him.
He sought out the advice of multiple marine professionals, as well as members here. Acted as if said information was beyond understanding, & sought more information both here & from more marine professionals. Which likely will be treated in the same manner as described above.

This pattern is far from new. If you doubt this, do a search on how many threads the OP created over half a year regarding an info search to pick new sails out. Multiple sailmakers were repeatedly consulted in "endeavoring" to select a new suit of sails. Such was stated by the OP himself. In addition to creating dozens of pages of threads on here seeking advice on the same exact topic.

I walked away from this thread, as I was fed up with this pattern. In addition to the flagrant wasting of my time. And am stepping in now to explain my actions as they were brought into question.
My attempt to walk away & allow the OP to, "save face". As I stated earlier in this thread. Seemingly, failed. And he himself, flat out stated that I'd exited this topic due to said fore stated reasons.

The time of mine which was wasted was not in putting a complex subject into terms which any layman could understand. It was in showing him the resources available, with which someone in Jr. High or High School could decide upon & execute the solution.
For example. I could & did mount hardware for this exact purpose (jib track installation) by the time I could legally vote, in a 48' Nautor-Swan. A boat of the highest repute, which one does not arbitrarily tinker with, with tools.
A vessel with similar loads, & having a far more complex system of construction.

Figuring the task at hand out, & executing it is FAR from rocket science.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 14:44   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Guys,
Since my name has been brought up again, several times in this thread, with questions as to why I walked away, I'll give folks the story. In order to clear any questions. And if further evidence to back up my statements is needed, it is easy enough to post PM's, etc. to show the full evidence & history behind things.

That being, that the OP (repeatedly) feigned ignorance on this topic & it's solutions presented to him.
He sought out the advice of multiple marine professionals, as well as members here. Acted as if said information was beyond understanding, & sought more information both here & from more marine professionals. Which likely will be treated in the same manner as described above.

This pattern is far from new. If you doubt this, do a search on how many threads the OP created over half a year regarding an info search to pick new sails out. Multiple sailmakers were repeatedly consulted in "endeavoring" to select a new suit of sails. Such was stated by the OP himself. In addition to creating dozens of pages of threads on here seeking advice on the same exact topic.

I walked away from this thread, as I was fed up with this pattern. In addition to the flagrant wasting of my time. And am stepping in now to explain my actions as they were brought into question.
My attempt to walk away & allow the OP to, "save face". As I stated earlier in this thread. Seemingly, failed. And he himself, flat out stated that I'd exited this topic due to said fore stated reasons.

The time of mine which was wasted was not in putting a complex subject into terms which any layman could understand. It was in showing him the resources available, with which someone in Jr. High or High School could decide upon & execute the solution.
For example. I could & did mount hardware for this exact purpose (jib track installation) by the time I could legally vote, in a 48' Nautor-Swan. A boat of the highest repute, which one does not arbitrarily tinker with, with tools.
A vessel with similar loads, & having a far more complex system of construction.

Figuring the task at hand out, & executing it is FAR from rocket science.
I'm sorry for offending Uncivilized, and don't quite understand how it happened. Our communications on- and offline were always entirely cordial.

My guess is that he had different expectations for how I would use the information which he gave. He's a professional with great experience, and maybe accustomed to being paid for his advice.

It doesn't work like that around here! Those of us who have some knowledge which can be beneficial to some others, share it, without begrudging the time which it takes to give the advice. And without expecting that it will be blindly followed.

Tags
jib