Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 12:30   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: The Speedy Stitcher: It Does It Awl!

Old 28-07-2018, 12:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Wow, I see the Myers units are like US$50 + ?? Are they worth the extra?
If I misled you with the links in my post, I apologize. The $55 Myers is an old one on eBay, and I was a little startled myself to see the price. They go for $12 on Amazon (and elsewhere).
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 13:23   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

One thing they don't show is how to chain stitch, which is a very fast way to join something when great strength or perfect appearance is not needed. Push through, pull loop up toward next stitch location, next stitch poke through the loop,, pull it tight and pull that next loop up to the next stitch location, over and over. It is very fast. I make a small hook out of a needle gun needle but a piece of coat hanger should work, to pull the loop up and keep it from going back out when you back the needle out. Made my last bimini that way out of a $5 drop cloth from Home Depot and a bucket of mystery paint from the local building parts and pieces recycler place. And some old PVC pipe laying around. Lasted through three seasons including some very fierce storms including one named one I forgot which one. I was away at sea and not on the boat.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:28   #19

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
One thing they don't show is how to chain stitch, which is a very fast way to join something when great strength or perfect appearance is not needed. Push through, pull loop up toward next stitch location, next stitch poke through the loop,, pull it tight and pull that next loop up to the next stitch location, over and over. It is very fast. I make a small hook out of a needle gun needle but a piece of coat hanger should work, to pull the loop up and keep it from going back out when you back the needle out. Made my last bimini that way out of a $5 drop cloth from Home Depot and a bucket of mystery paint from the local building parts and pieces recycler place. And some old PVC pipe laying around. Lasted through three seasons including some very fierce storms including one named one I forgot which one. I was away at sea and not on the boat.
Great info and advice ........ have ordered one ...... never seen this tool before ..... only used a palm and needles

And a cool subject heading

Thanks for posting
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:26   #20

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

The name of the tool is "sewing awl." There are many makes of them out there, most of them quite inexpensive. I use one from the old CS Osborne company that's served me well for thirty years. I expect it to keep going for another thirty or more. Every sailboat should have one stowed with the maintenance and repair supplies.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 06:39   #21

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We have several of the SS and if you look around you can find them in flea markets, etc fairly inexpensive as many have no idea what they are or how to use them. Most of them are unused and still in the original box.

We like the heavier waxed twine that comes w/ the SS for our repairs and the SS needles are fairly heavy duty. To my knowledge we have never broken a needle on the SS.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:02   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I have several of them and use them regularly. My wife made windlass cover entirely by hand with the Speedy Stitcher during a summer cruise. A handy tool that I highly recommend. Even I can use it!
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:39   #23
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
If I were to print a list of the things I've made/repaired with my Speedy Stitcher, it would be very long (and boring).

I keep two on board plus a substantial inventory of spare needles. When sewing through something very heavy, I use an awl and mallet or a leather punch to create the holes. I never use the bobbin, preferring instead to just have both ends loose.
When I retire from cruising, I'm considering becoming a lobbyist for the Speedy Stitcher Users Association.
Fair winds and calm seas.
Sometimes, if I'm to be hand stitching leather with the Speedy Stitcher, I'll run the top layer through the sewing machine with no thread on a long stitch. This makes a line of perfectly spaced holes which improve the appearance of the outside of the project. If it's suede or raw finish leather, I'll put a layer of masking tape so the holes remain visible. (Obviously test that the masking tape doesn't leave residue as you tear it off after sewing).

Incidentally, there are no boring boat projects...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:41   #24

They are good for what they do, but compared to a commercial walking foot machine, they are really, really slow. I think I would spend some $ on a leather palm, some good needles and heavy thread first, and then see if you want to buy a stitching awl. I have all of the above.
Dave
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 14:45   #25

Sailrite has all you need for your projects including the Speedy Stitcher, thread matching Sunbrella fabrics, etc. See pages 127-131 in the web catalog, https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/2018%20...atalog-WEB.pdf

Cheers
Per
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 06:24   #26

Because of this great thread, I bought a new Speedy Stitcher last week (to replace the knockoff whose needles both broke), and I've already used it for one repair. And thanks for all the good tips in here!
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 19:47   #27

I love mine. I bought one for myself for Christmas several years ago. I've used it for small projects ashore and more than once I've used if for repairs while sailing.

I just wish I could remember where I put it. I have very carefully put it away in the wrong place.

By the way, I was buying some heavy thread to use on my walking foot machine (very handy at home, not very practical at sea) at Joann Fabrics (a very common US sewing and craft store) and saw a Speedy Stitcher hanging on the wall.
Be Free is online now   Reply With Quote