Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 10:37   #16

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Surface rust on rigging-a problem?

if you dont know how old the rigging is, you will be replacing it. Anything else you choose to believe is just that - hearing what you want to hear. Factor it into the price and its not a problem.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 06:58   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately we are in TX and the boat is in FL. I guess if we get to make an offer I would include a rigger as part of the survey. The boat needs lots of work, all of which I can handle, but not replacing the rigging if it comes to that. That would be a big chunk of money.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Bob,

The Broker may not know the age of the rigging, which wouldn't be unusual. Most Brokers only have limited information about the yachts they're offering. I suspect, however, the owner does have that information. Most of the people we know maintain a fairly detailed log of their maintenance, repairs and fuel. (In many cases, owners also maintain a file with receipts for all their equipment purchases, repairs etc. as do we.) I would ask the Broker to inquire about such a log and/or records which could give you some insight on the boat.

Lastly, depending upon the boats size, replacing rigging is not necessarily all that costly, particularly with the type end-fittings you describe which can be reused. In comparison with the likely cost of the boat, re-rigging could be a "relatively" minor cost that, on a worst case basis, I would deduct from the amount I might otherwise offer for the boat.

Just a thought...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 07:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

If the broker does know it's 25 years old, they'll keep that to themselves.

I recently replaced the lowers on a CSY 33 that were so rusty the runoff was staining the deck. Some of the worst I'd ever seen.

So some pictures would be helpful
Old 29-12-2017, 07:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Surface rust on rigging-a problem?

If the fittings are Sta-Lok then all you'll be paying for is the new wire, olives and a cutter.. then take each shroud down and redo/replace individually one at a time.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 07:35   #20

Boat: Whitby 42

Can't take pictures, I'm in TX boat is in FL. Can't ask the owner, he's dead. Have thought about asking the broker about records, the owner was a airline piulot so I would think he would have kept records. After I told broker what my offer would be, if I made one, I don't think he's talking to me anymore.

Have another boat to look at shortly, will have to make a decision after that.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Can't take pictures, I'm in TX boat is in FL. Can't ask the owner, he's dead. Have thought about asking the broker about records, the owner was a airline piulot so I would think he would have kept records. After I told broker what my offer would be, if I made one, I don't think he's talking to me anymore.

Have another boat to look at shortly, will have to make a decision after that.
Rigging wire will be a mystery. A rigging inspector wont know the age of the wire either. So factor that in to whether you spend the money on inspection or save it for possible new wire later. He may find other things but they will be visible. Wire isn't very expensive.
It's a good sign that it has sta locks. So it's been replaced sometime. A picture would help but if it's minor rusting I would just go with it if you like the rest of the boat. There are many many old boats out there with original rigging.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 14:10   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To me, the Sta-Loks are a sign that at some point, the boat was loved. There could easily be documentation aboard as to when the wire was replaced, and with what kind of wire. Normally, surface rust is not a worry, it is more a fact of life. [Jim says, "Stainless steel isn't; titanium is".] As Boatman61 stated, above, the replacement of the wire is a pretty easy thing for someone to DIY, one wire at a time. Also as stated above, if the boat is to be insured, it is possible the insurance company will require the wire to be replaced. The insurance is unlikely to specify that the chainplates need replacement. Inspection of them will be needed, though, especially if you want to cross oceans in the boat.

We have had our cruising boat dismasted, once. It is an expensive exercise to fix, and in some cases the costs may exceed the value of the boat. Because a mast is massy, when it goes over the side, a lot of other gear is damaged: furlers, if any, bow pulpit, lifelines. You lose whatever else is up there, antennas (goodbye radar, VHF, etc.). You lose winch handles that are locked into the now submerged winches, if you left them up there. You also lose some running rigging, as well as the standing rigging. imho, if no one is hurt in the event, you have something to feel very thankful for. I found it an emotionally traumatic event, but it did not stop us sailing.

Ann
Old 29-12-2017, 14:52   #23

Boat: Whitby 42

As soon as we get to look at this other boat we may again get serious about the rigging on the other one and see if there is any documentation.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging