Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 20:34   #1

Superfurl Furling system

I was having a hard time finding any information on this system. I got a video in the mail from Don and put it up on youtube. So if you, like me, we wondering about upgrading to this system you can watch the video. I will post the documents off that youtube video in the next couple of days.

I don't work for them but don't mind helping out.

offgridcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 00:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Superfurl Furling system

Sounds like they sell you Kiwi Slides so the sail doesn't require luff tape to be added but you still need to be concerned with UV. So it's not like you can just use your existing sails without modification unless you buy a genoa sleeve to protect the sail when it's up. Otherwise you still need to add a suncover to the leech and foot. And putting a hank-on sail on a furler doesn't come without some drawbacks. Keep in mind that a full hoist headsail will likely be too long on the luff for use with a furler.

I think we built a genoa for a boat with Superfurl several years ago. I have no idea how well they work.

Facnor offers the same kind of advantages in terms or ease of install, no cutting, not having to climb rig, and being able to re-use the forestay. Unless the existing forestay is fairly recent, it's a good idea to replace it when a furler is installed.

I'd suggest caution to anyone in dealing with a vendor who refuses to accept credit cards. Credit cards offer some recourse if someone fails to deliver a product or the product isn't what you were expecting.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 00:30   #3

He takes cards now and its cheaper than fancor. Seems to be a great system built buy a guy who cares.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridcanuck View Post
He takes cards now and its cheaper than fancor. Seems to be a great system built buy a guy who cares.
It seems like a decent piece of hardware. I'd want to know what's involved in changing out bearings if needed.

My only complaint is that his marketing is based on mis-information.

He claims there is no need to modify the headsail and that's untrue unless you are dropping and bagging the sail when not in use. Or you have to buy a genoa sleeve for $13.50 per foot. In many cases, a hank-on sail isn't going to work well as a furling sail. For instance you have a 150% hank-on genoa on your 34 footer. That cloth might be a few ounces lighter than cloth that would be used for an all purpose roller furling headsail. And it certainly won't have the proper luff curve for a furler.

Encouraging people to re-use their forestay is only a good idea if the forestay is fairly new. Otherwise it's a liability and we've seen a lot of ignored forestays fail. Some furler manufacturers include a new forestay as part of their kit so people don't re-use their existing forestay.

Maybe he doesn't know that much about sails and rigging and it's just an innocent mistake. The flip side is he's just telling people what they want to hear so he can sell product. I know I've lost business because I wouldn't tell people what they want to hear.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:55   #5

I posted the video to save people time in waiting for it in the mail. Their are plus and minuses to all systems out there. I would like a schaeffer but my budget wont allow. Of the more inexpensive systems I feel his is pretty well built. I can make a cover with my sailrite machine and the bearings are sealed and off the shelf. If I could afford to have my sail modified, I could also afford a better system. Everyone should change their rigging when its time, regardless of the installation of a furler. That's just common sense.

Suits my needs and I can work around the problem.

Tags
furling