Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 10:26   #1

Storing anchor in the locker

I normally keep the anchor in the roller when underway.

However, when using the spinnaker or the code 0, having the anchor in the roller is a hazard, because the sails can easily snag on it during the jibes.

What do people do in this situation? Do you store the anchor in the locker? How do you make sure that the anchor does not bang around in the locker?
Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 10:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Storing anchor in the locker

I always store the anchor in the locker, but then at 10 kgs I can lift it out and deploy it with one hand. The reason it lives in the locker is that I frequent very crowed waters with tight marinas. I don't wan't to hit someone else's boat with some medieval galvanised lance sticking out the front of my boat. It is also out of sight of those who feel they don't need to work for a living.

Of course once you get above about 40ft then man handling a large anchor can be a problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 10:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think a few more points of data are important:

1. What boat are you using?

2. Is your bower anchor used often, or are you mostly marina day sailing or marina to marina?

3. Is this for a long passage or local, coastal sailing?

I think posting a photo of your foredeck (if you have an anchor locker how deep, bow pulpit, bow roller single or dual, bow with sprit or not, bow cleats, chocks, windlass, amount of rode and type in locker, etc.) would help others make more fitting comments too.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:24   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Anchor is in anchor locker for same reasons as Pete as well as easier to pick up mooring
and same concerns you are having. Also when I go on my little cruises like all stored.
Anchor always at the ready to deploy within say...30 seconds, stern anchor as well.(same thing with dinghy, never tow any distance/open water.
Occasionally will leave on roller after arriving at cruising grounds and moving around day to day.
I keep some foam packing/throw away rags in locker and sometimes use to keep from
moving/wearing anchor.
My 25 lb. Mantus is easy to to man handle, not so much with larger anchors.
Doesn't make it right way to do, is just what I do.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:40   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve never removed my bower from its roller at the bow for passages. I only use an asym spinnaker (gennaker) and don’t have the problems you describe. I suppose it would depend on the bow layout. The anchor in my roller/holder is very secure. It can’t move around much, and doesn’t protrude very far. It would be a major pita to remove at sea, and would be harder to secure in my chain locker. No… it stays put.

The possibility of someone stealing my anchor from the dock has never even occurred to me. Is that a thing??? I don’t spend a lot of time at strange docks. but it would require the thief board my boat, and remove the seized shackle. Not a quick job...
Old 24-03-2018, 15:29   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Mike, I would rather not take a chance. We lost a deck fender this winter. Okay the winds might have taken it away during one of the storms but it was screwed to the jetty with 5 screws and large washers to spread the load on the fender.

Or someone may have decided their need is greater than mine
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 16:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Mike, I would rather not take a chance. We lost a deck fender this winter. Okay the winds might have taken it away during one of the storms but it was screwed to the jetty with 5 screws and large washers to spread the load on the fender.

Or someone may have decided their need is greater than mine
Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I don’t think I’ve had anything stolen from my boats in the 15+ years of boat ownership/cruising. And I rarely even lock up. Maybe I look destitute enough. Or maybe I always hang around with better looking boats .

… I guess I better knock on wood now.
Old 25-03-2018, 08:29   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Never leave the anchor loose on any trip. A loose anchor will quickly punch a hole in a glass hull and make a mess of others, restraining it puts crew at serious risk. Only takes a sudden squall. If not firmly lashed to the rollers should be in chocks somewhere. When in soundings I keep an anchor on the roller, on passage it lives just in front of the mast. The others are firmly lashed to a beam below in the focsal or to the stern rail. I would never sail with less than 3, 2 bowers with separate rodes plus kedge. Remember the anchor is there to keep you off that lee shore beach when all else fails.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 08:33   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I don’t think I’ve had anything stolen from my boats in the 15+ years of boat ownership/cruising. And I rarely even lock up. Maybe I look destitute enough. Or maybe I always hang around with better looking boats .

… I guess I better knock on wood now.
Yes, you are just lucky. I sail in what is considered a very safe area (Kingston ON). And yet, my brand new solar panel lasted only 2 weeks. Over the winter, my boat was broken into on the hard and everything portable/valuable was stolen. This is why I can't have nice things.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 10:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Yes, you are just lucky. I sail in what is considered a very safe area (Kingston ON). And yet, my brand new solar panel lasted only 2 weeks. Over the winter, my boat was broken into on the hard and everything portable/valuable was stolen. This is why I can't have nice things.
That sucks hamburking. I was in Belleville for three years and rarely even locked my boat. Nothing ever stolen. But I agree, property crime is very real, especially in the larger centres (not that Kingston is that large). I’ll probably get stung eventually .
Old 25-03-2018, 10:28   #11

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We do not use a spinnaker, but we do have a bow anchor ready to run out in an emergency....ie Lee shore or docks, channel entrance rock jetty, etc. Should we lose power in a crowded marina, we could lay out the anchor, raise the main and sail off the anchor, raise the jib sail to the dock or a mooring

However we also have a strong line / lanyard , etc attached to the end of the anchor shank or clevis shackle to a bow cleat that holds the anchor securely in place. Chain and rode ( 300 ft total) are in the anchor locker. We do not want that heavy anchor running free thru the bow roller, or knocked loose .

The bitter end of the lanyard is a proper cleat hitch to the bow cleat, and and can be freed in a couple of seconds.

This is just keeping things seamanship wise.

Other strokes:

I delivered a race Ericson from Cabo San Lucas. Baha , Mexico, It had been raced down to mexico from L.A., , The owner had the anchor disconnected from the chain, and the chain stowed below in the bilge, with the anchor and the chain in separate places.

He also spent several thousand dollars for a racing mast of some kind, and finished the race DEAD LAST. Protested that and actually worked his way up to next to dead last.

The race crew all partied, and air lined it back to L.A. I flew down the deliver the boat back to the U.S.A ( Los Angeles Harbor ) . I think it was about 800 to a 1000 miles. Long time back.

So different strokes, people will do what ever they wish....to gain their goal as to sailing. My first responsailtiy is the safety of the boat and the passengers. Therefore, like many here, we have an anchor ready to run out in an emergency but it is secured with a line when underway.

We also have a stern anchor in the cockpit lazerette, lighter weight with chain and line. Some times will carry that stern anchor up forward to use that anchor for bahamian moors' Other times we use it when anchoring bow and stern to keep the bow to the swell or in a crowded anchorage where others are bow and stern.

In the Abacos, we had two bow anchors and would anchor bahamian moor under sail ( main only ). Use the topping lift to haul up on the boom to scandalize the main . Then would haul the main down, lower the boom , and flake the main to the boom. Re adjust the anchor rodes, and done deal.

Then, write down our bearings in the log, and splice the main brace with some happy hour Mt. Gay.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 10:56   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I will be stowing my anchor below once off soundings, both for reasons of damage potential/loss should both pin and lanyard break, and because I don't need that weight at the pointy bit, nor a few thousand rinses per day.

When there's a chance I'll need it, however, it will be ready:
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 11:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I will be stowing my anchor below once off soundings, both for reasons of damage potential/loss should both pin and lanyard break, and because I don't need that weight at the pointy bit, nor a few thousand rinses per day.
Agreed… I’d not want my anchor in that position under way as well. I guess you can’t fit any of the straighter-shanked spade-style anchors due to the bowsprit?
Old 25-03-2018, 11:08   #14

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
In rural Newfoundland my cottage was ransacked by my next door neighbors kid. The kid was caught red handed in my others neighbors house after breaking out a window. The police did nothing, cant persecute a minor. I no longer have nice things in my cottage (although I would like to). Theft happens everywhere you go. I keep my boat locked up tight with everything of value out of sight, including the anchor.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 11:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
In rural Newfoundland my cottage was ransacked by my next door neighbors kid. The kid was caught red handed in my others neighbors house after breaking out a window. The police did nothing, cant persecute a minor. I no longer have nice things in my cottage (although I would like to). Theft happens everywhere you go. I keep my boat locked up tight with everything of value out of sight, including the anchor.
Where are you in NFLD? I sailed over to Corner Brook last season, and plan to base out of there for a few years (at least).

Property crime does happen everywhere. I don’t mean to downplay it in any way. I’ve been lucky with my boat life. Not so with my land life where I’ve been broken into a number of times. Had a car stolen once from a “secure” parkade. Can certainly happen everywhere.

Tags
anchor