Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 11:25   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: Storing anchor in the locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Where are you in NFLD? I sailed over to Corner Brook last season, and plan to base out of there for a few years (at least).

Property crime does happen everywhere. I don’t mean to downplay it in any way. I’ve been lucky with my boat life. Not so with my land life where I’ve been broken into a number of times. Had a car stolen once from a “secure” parkade. Can certainly happen everywhere.
Currently I live in Alaska. I spend part of the summer back home in NL visiting my cottage in Notre Dame Bay in a place just south of Fortune. The other part of time I spend in my ancestral home of Woody Island in Placentia Bay. I loved growing up there. I spend a little time in Arnolds Cove too, but not much. Great sailing around there. Both of my places are waterfront and have moorings and docks. One of these days I'm going to have to buy a boat and keep it there.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 13:15   #17

Boat: Nauticat 32

Maybe a cloth around the anchor or some other similar arrangement to eliminate the possibility of snagging.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 16:52   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That sucks hamburking. I was in Belleville for three years and rarely even locked my boat. Nothing ever stolen. But I agree, property crime is very real, especially in the larger centres (not that Kingston is that large). I’ll probably get stung eventually .
I know we are drifting off topic, but....

Most marinas and yacht clubs have fences, gates, security...especially in the toronto area. Kingston remains one of the last places where any hobo, teenager, or nogoodnik can walk right out the docks with impunity. When I see a rough looking character with a fishing rod, but no gear on the docks, I know he is scoping the place out. The end of a long dock (at various local marinas) is where they go to do drugs and sex stuff...far from the cops. Just yesterday evening I went down to Confed (my downtown marina) to stare at the water (now free of ice, finally), just to find three thugs celebrating the legalizing of a certain herb a few months early. Occasionally, the cops fish a body out of the water in the same area, the victim of their own misadventure.

Police investigating after body found in lake | The Kingston Whig-Standard

Body pulled from lake | The Kingston Whig-Standard

I swapped my mirror finish stainless steel bow anchor for an identical galvanized version, to avoid unwanted attention. Actually, A 70 powerboat moved in across the dock from my boat, and my boat became totally invisible. Everyone would be so fixated on the massive $$$ yacht that even my own guests could not find my humble little sailboat, as they walked right past, staring in the wrong direction.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 16:58   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

So, the implication here, is that your anchor needs to be kept secured tightly, and the anchor locker, must be lockable, and that's going to require some thought for a useful installation--you'll want something that is not easily crowbar-able.

Good luck with it.
Old 25-03-2018, 19:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I will be stowing my anchor below once off soundings, both for reasons of damage potential/loss should both pin and lanyard break, and because I don't need that weight at the pointy bit, nor a few thousand rinses per day.

When there's a chance I'll need it, however, it will be ready:
THAT is a manly bowsprit!
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 04:10   #21

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Preview

I'm mostly a single hander and always have bower anchor in the chocks, ready to go. Always.
Primary is 55 Fob.

2nd anchor, a 45 Fob, is in anchor locker, ready to deploy.*

3rd anchor also a 45 Fob, is somewhere at bottom port sail locker... haven't used it in the 12 years I've owned this boat, but it's there... if it's ever needed.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor