Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 20:47   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Storing an inner forestay

When using my 130% jib or even the 100% jib the inner forestay gets in the way. I'd prefer to store it when I am not using it. Does anyone have a good system for storing the inner forestay. Preferably with the storm staysail still on the forestay.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 21:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Charlie
had a quick reliese system on mine for awhile...You'd pop it lose and move it back to the mast, but this last time I had the rigging replaced, I opted not to put the lever back on..it was pretty large and I found that it was a catch all for anything passing by it.. Its kind of a pain for short tacking with it up but I hope I'll be out of here this fall and there wont be any more short tacks..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 03:13   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Charlie
had a quick reliese system on mine for awhile...You'd pop it lose and move it back to the mast, but this last time I had the rigging replaced, I opted not to put the lever back on..it was pretty large and I found that it was a catch all for anything passing by it.. Its kind of a pain for short tacking with it up but I hope I'll be out of here this fall and there wont be any more short tacks..
You mean yours was set up as a Solent stay, right?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 03:31   #4

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Having a release lever on an inner forestay so that it is removable doesn't mean that it has to be a Solent Stay. What makes an inner forestay a Solent Stay is the fact that it is attached to the mast near the masthead such that additional backstays are not needed to help support it. I have a removable inner forestay that attaches to my mast at about 4/5 of it's height above deck, so I also have running backstays to support it.

When not in use (most ot the time) I bring the bottom of the stay back to a pad-eye on the deck just aft of (and inside of) my side shroud chainplates. I have an "Inner Forestay Stowage Bridle" from CS Johnson (Wichard makes one, too), lashed to a padeye just forward (and inside of) my side shroud chainplates, and adjusted such that the stay is taught with the ABI Release lever closed.

I don't know about storing the stay with the storm jib still hanked on. Why not take it off when you have the stay put away?
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 06:37   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
My inner forestay had a hydraulic tensioner, and I used to take it off and back around the shrouds and secure it on base of the shroud with a 4-1 tackle. I cut a notch in the back of the lower spreader to keep it from working back and forth.

After a circumnavigation in which I never used it once, I ended up taking the whole inner forestay off--it and the storm jib are in the lazarette for now, but will probably be off the boat one of these days.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Maren
Mine is exactally as I stated, a staysail stay. I have running backstays, or checkstays, what ever you wish to call them, aposed to the staysail, about 4 feet behind the forestay and at the same angle as the forestay mounted about 1/4 of the way down the mast,
And not to be confused with the baby stay which is in a third position forward of the mast.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:31   #7

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
The removal process is further complicated if you have a boomed staysail, especially if it is pivoted on the stay itself. Of course, it should not be attached to the stay, but set on a pivot post slightly aft of the stay, so the sail has more bunt as it is eased, and tightens as it is hauled in. A boomed staysail has great advantages as a storm headsail, especially running, being self tacking with only one sheet, and generally ‘stronger’ on a boom. If the boom is pivoted on the stay, it is necessary to have a gallows arrangement for it, when you bring the stay to the side of the boat. If it is on a separate post it can be left where it is, run up the mast like a spinnaker pole, or lashed in chocks on deck.
Having said all that, we ran a massive Genoa from our headstay and never really felt the need to remove our boomed staysail. It sometimes wouldn’t go through the slot, but we could usually pull it through and if we were seriously tacking with both we would let it fall onto the staysail, then the wind took it through. It was a small price to pay for having a really strong self tacking storm sail, when we needed it.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:32   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Having a release lever on an inner forestay so that it is removable doesn't mean that it has to be a Solent Stay. What makes an inner forestay a Solent Stay is the fact that it is attached to the mast near the masthead such that additional backstays are not needed to help support it. I have a removable inner forestay that attaches to my mast at about 4/5 of it's height above deck, so I also have running backstays to support it.

When not in use (most ot the time) I bring the bottom of the stay back to a pad-eye on the deck just aft of (and inside of) my side shroud chainplates. I have an "Inner Forestay Stowage Bridle" from CS Johnson (Wichard makes one, too), lashed to a padeye just forward (and inside of) my side shroud chainplates, and adjusted such that the stay is taught with the ABI Release lever closed.

I don't know about storing the stay with the storm jib still hanked on. Why not take it off when you have the stay put away?

Thanks Tim:

That is the item I was looking for. When we go out for a daysail it is a PITA to have the inner forestay up. I want some way to keep it out of the way.

On a long cruise where we are not tacking alot I guess it would be fine to have the inner forestay in place and the storm staysail attached and the jib leads run. That way if I needed to I could just role up the jib and then put up the staysail rahter than reefing. The boat is pretty balanced with the staysail and a full main in 20 + knots of wind.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 11:16   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
The removal process is further complicated if you have a boomed staysail, especially if it is pivoted on the stay itself.
Catamoun, Randy and (er) Jolly,

Thanks for clarifying that guys. Learn something new every day

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 12:07   #10
JB

I have a quick release with lever system for the forestay on my Caliber 47LRC and the stay itself is fitted onto a track on the mast so I can lift the whole thing out of the way and secure it to a padeye further back on the deck. To prevent sheets and so forth from fouling on the lever mechanism, we made an attractive cover for the lower portion of the stay with velcro for easy on and off. All work great - the staysail is on roller furling, so we just winch the whole thing up and off to the side when we don't want it in the way on the foredeck - which is really rare.
Caliber calls this a "Convertible Cutter Rig" - an accurate and appropriate name.