Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-12-2015, 19:10   #1

Boat: Skookum 47
Still Standing - To Rig or Not To Rig

Seeking some thoughts on replacing the standing rig. My recently acquired Skookum 47 has the original rig. Hull and deck were completed in 1982, but the boat was owner finished and not launched until around 1990. 2nd owner bought her in 2001 with 300 hours on the engine, so she was lightly used up to that point. 2nd owner sailed her as far south as Ecuador and then back up to Mexico (Guaymas) where she's been ever since. She's been on the hard since 2007. I personally know the 2nd owner and crewed aboard for 6 months. He treated her right and never pushed her hard.

Chainplates and turnbuckles are cast bronze and holding up just fine. All terminals are swaged. I've inspected all of them, top and bottom, and they look to be sound. No rust or broken strands. If I replace, I am going with Sta-Lock style and 316 SS Wire. I can do it in the yard myself. I've done it before and didn't find it to be that difficult.

My concern is that metal fatigues, whether in use or not. The climate down there is hot, but for the most part it's dry and sunny. I am of the mind to splash and sail her.

Thoughts?
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote