Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 07:39   #31

Re: sailing knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Floating knife is interesting.

I share your concern about the blades, having cut myself badly once with a pocket knife when the blade folded back. However, the blades on the Leatherman and indeed many other knives, lock very securely and I have no concerns about accidental closing.
I have had a few locking folders as well, one have it's spring mechanism fail overtime, another have it's handle cracked and I do not find folders handle as nice anyway like the grip is on the slim side.
For a boating environment you will have to deal with corrosion with internal components, UV ray etc hence I will stick with fixed blade as a boat knife, folding tools on another hand is a different question.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:42   #32

I've been carrying a Boye folder for the past 10 years or more. It cuts line, rope and softer material better than any other I've owned; I've owned a bunch over the years looking for a keeper. The blade I have is made from Dendritic Cobalt which will never rust and it holds its edge well. David Boye makes a blade with Dendritic steel also but not 100% rust proof. I put the worry to rest of dropping it overboard by putting a small pinky lanyard on it. It can be opened and closed easily with one hand with the lanyard on.

I also carry a Boye Dendritic Cobalt chef knife when I'm sailing. Best in the world for holding an edge with soft cuts like fish, veggies and such plus it won't rust. I carry a small Gransfors Bruks hand axe for cutting harder materials or critters.

I think one PP mentioned something about a Boye blade made out of ceramic but I've never seen one of those or can find it on the net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_223641.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	244978  
Old 09-09-2021, 07:57   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
I have had a few locking folders as well, one have it's spring mechanism fail overtime, another have it's handle cracked and I do not find folders handle as nice anyway like the grip is on the slim side.
For a boating environment you will have to deal with corrosion with internal components, UV ray etc hence I will stick with fixed blade as a boat knife, folding tools on another hand is a different question.
Completely agree that the handles on multitools are not as nice nor comfortable as a sheath knife and I do keep a sheath knife on board. But for all day, every day handy and ready to use the multitool with pliers and screwdriver is just so convenient. If I need to do more serious cutting or need real tools they are close at hand but for casual work the multitool works.

Had my first Wave about 10 years and never had a problem with the locking mechanism.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:35   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes forgot to mention the one[-handed operation. Very useful. And agree about the pliers. I use them at least as much as the blades.

Have only tried the Wave. Have you compared the Wave to the Charge? What advantages or disadvantages to either?

Another thing I like about the Leatherman. It sharpens easily but also holds the edge well. I used to keep a SS Buck sheath knife on the boat and it was almost impossible to sharpen. Was almost glad when it decided to go swimming.
Agreed. Personally, I think the pliers are the most useful tool to have on hand. I use them all the time on the boat; opening/closing shackles, pulling cotter pins, cutting bits of wire, cleaning out little corners, prying... it just seems to have a thousand uses, all the time.

To be honest, I've owned my Charge for so long now, I can't recall exactly how I made the decision. I had gone through a couple of other multi-tools, including a smaller Leatherman. I knew I wanted one with a decent tool set, but not one too large to carry all the time. I was aware of the pinching fingers problem from a previous Leathermen, so was wary of that. And I wanted something with high quality stainless.

I don't recall why I chose the Charge over the Wave... maybe the higher quality blade steel? It probably just felt better in my hand.

One thing I will say is I use that little hook off the serrated blade quite a lot. It's endlessly useful for everything from rope work to sewing. I'd miss it.

I carry mine in a leather belt pouch. This is my second one. My first was made of thick webbing cloth, and sealed via velcro. This was OK, but eventually wore through. My current one is made of thick leather, with a snap to seal the cover. I would carry the extra bit sets in both cases. Very handy when you get to the top of the mast and realize you forgot your Philips drive or Allen key.
Old 14-09-2021, 17:30   #35

I like the Gill personal rescue knife. Grippy, sharp, easy to open. Nice sheath. Somehow mine did get a little rust but that’s ok. https://www.gillmarine.com/personal-rescue-knife/
clippercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:18   #36

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I can’t open a paper bag without a knife. So, though I have a Myrchin for hard projects, and a Spyerco Clipit on the binnacle, my little Ken Onion Scallion with pocket clip gets used a dozen times a day. One hand deploy, one hand close and remount. Doubles as a pry, awl, and screwdriver. This one is more than five years old. When the spring goes tired, I cry to Kershaw and they send me free springs. The half serrated blade can tackle any but the biggest jobs. I sharpen it every six months or so, well after razor sharp has passed. I love these knives.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 06:42   #37

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Shockingly, no hits with the search function.

Is there a favorite out there? I'm going to assume that a serrated knife is better than a plain edge for cutting line.
Maybe a good question to ask is if a multi-tool is favored or a simple blade is better. I suppose we should include fishing/trolling uses too.
My question would be - what do you want the knife for? I think that in fact you should have two.

I keep a safety knife at the helm to cut a line in an emergency. Might save a finger one day....... GERBER EZ OUT

I carry a Leatherman wave on my belt for doing chores

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 06:49   #38

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

This ...

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...chtsman-detail
Old 17-09-2021, 07:01   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I get these multi-tool knives as xmas presents every year...I have a whole box of them now....I don't wear one on my waist, but do have them strewn all over the place..I consider them more "gadget' than " tool'...
besides the plier and knife blade...most everything else is " gimicky' in my mind...it's like the manufactures is scheming..." what other doo-dad can we put on here...nail file, scissors, bottle opener, etc....seriously....who has ever tried to use that 1" pair of scissors to cut anything.....I tried the phillips head screw driver tip once....and it broke....
makes a " cute' present" though....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I get these multi-tool knives as xmas presents every year...I have a whole box of them now....I don't wear one on my waist, but do have them strewn all over the place..I consider them more "gadget' than " tool'...
besides the plier and knife blade...most everything else is " gimicky' in my mind...it's like the manufactures is scheming..." what other doo-dad can we put on here...nail file, scissors, bottle opener, etc....seriously....who has ever tried to use that 1" pair of scissors to cut anything.....I tried the phillips head screw driver tip once....and it broke....
makes a " cute' present" though....

yes some are precious... from the number of boosters, I'd say the Leatherman Wave has proven useful enough, and if you want the opposite of precious or fragile, have a look at the Gerber MP600.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:12   #41

Boat: Currently boatless

Good-quality blunt-tipped dive knife, some of which are serrated on one side, will cut through just about everything.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:29   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

I’ve used many knives, but I’ve been extremely happy with my Sheepfoot blade from Boye.

This knife cuts thru anything, including newer lines that most blades will not cut!

https://www.boyeknives.com/
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:31   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I carry a Myerchin given to me decades ago by my father. I actually have two of them -- a folding one and a straight one. https://myerchin.com/

Beautiful, relatively expensive rigging knives, but to be honest I think the inexpensive serrated ones with plastic handles are functionally better, at a fraction of the cost. I keep carrying the Myerchins not because of their functional properties but because they are beautiful objects with, besides that, sentimental value.
I bought a 'crew' sized Barlow shackeler when I started offshore in '71. I was given a basic Spyderco serrated 32 years as my 1st Father's Day present. I also own an old sheath knife with a separate fid, a Russell, a Black Fox, several Boyes (white & grey), and maybe 6 Myerchins of different sizes and degrees of snazziness. All but the sheath knife and the Boyes are serrated. I wear one in the knife pocket my Sportif shorts come with, secured by a lanyard & a small carabiner when teaching sailing @ the University's sailing club (where I learned to sail & race in 1964).

Yes, I am a rigging knife junkie. I try to resist buying new ones.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:08   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by A CheeseHead View Post
I bought a 'crew' sized Barlow shackeler when I started offshore in '71. I was given a basic Spyderco serrated 32 years as my 1st Father's Day present. I also own an old sheath knife with a separate fid, a Russell, a Black Fox, several Boyes (white & grey), and maybe 6 Myerchins of different sizes and degrees of snazziness. All but the sheath knife and the Boyes are serrated. I wear one in the knife pocket my Sportif shorts come with, secured by a lanyard & a small carabiner when teaching sailing @ the University's sailing club (where I learned to sail & race in 1964).

Yes, I am a rigging knife junkie. I try to resist buying new ones.
Then you see the antique knife display at the second hand Chandlers.
BTDT
Old 17-09-2021, 08:12   #45

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Shockingly, no hits with the search function.

Is there a favorite out there? I'm going to assume that a serrated knife is better than a plain edge for cutting line.
Maybe a good question to ask is if a multi-tool is favored or a simple blade is better. I suppose we should include fishing/trolling uses too.
Sawing through braided line ain't easy. Get a cutlass. Grreat for filleting those big fish too.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing