Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2004, 08:01   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Convenient Knife - "The Boat Knife"

Three years ago, I was helping a fellow move a 41' C&C up the coast from Cape Fear to Boston, on its trip back to Canada from The Caribbean. I noticed that he had a big hunting knife, in its leather sheath, taped to a steel support at the corner of the kitchen counter, pretty well centre of the boat.

Over the course of the trip, I became quite aware of how convenient that knife was. It could be grabbed to nip a line in the cockpit, clean a fish, trim meat, or open a container.

As soon as I got my cruising cat, I installed a similar knife. I bought one of those work-knives that are normally sold in bulk to fishermen, with the plastic sheaths. I use marine goop to attach the sheath to the outer corner of an upper cupboard, one step into the salon from the sliding cockpit doors. I have been using and abusing that knife ever since. Once it is conveniently placed, and you are used to finding it there, you will be amazed how often you reach for it.

I try to wear my Leatherman Wave knife, but even if it is on me, it isn't always the right tool. A well balanced knife, with a keen edge is always better. Next time I am in one of those shops, I'll pick up another one or two. I'm sure I can find other convenient locations.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote